“Great hotel”

Ranked #387 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Great hotel”
Reviewed 20 April 2012 via mobile

I have stayed at many 5* hotels in London and to honest my room here was just as nice if not better than some 5* rooms that can be a bit pokey for a vast some of money. I had a very nice modern double room, very clean and spacious, comfortable large bed and spotless bathroom. Room was very warm but fine when heating turned down. Great location 20 min walk to Regent Street less to Covent Garden. Staff very pleasant and helpful when I couldn't get into my room, my fault I misread the room number! Great breakfast and pancakes were a treat. Check In and out was quick and easy again very pleasant staff. I would definitely stay here again. I don't know if we were upgraded to an executive room or if this was a standard room (119) but we did get free wifi and use of the executive lounge with our Hilton Gold card.

Stayed April 2012
Sandro G, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel London - West End, responded to this review, 27 April 2012
Thank you for taking the time to send us the great review. Its great to hear that you enjoyed the hotel’s central location and our spacious Double Room. I was especially pleased to read your comments about the good service you experienced and your comments about breakfast which we constantly try to improve to provide a great start of the day.

We do hope to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.

Sandro Guadagnini

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (483)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 April 2012

The hotel has recently been renovated however I think all the money must have gione on the communal areas of the hotel and the rooms just got a 'touch up'. Lots of problems in the rooms i.e. cold, air con faulty, TV's on the blink, broken blinds, very small beds. Overall very disappointing and would not recommend.
Breakfast was excellent though !

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank craigpatt
We’re sorry we didn’t provide the quality of amenities and service you deserved during your recent stay with us. We apologize for the issues in your room and we’re working with our Maintenance Team to ensure the situation doesn’t happen again. We hope you’ll stay with us again and give us the opportunity to show improvement.

Rotherham
Reviewed 16 April 2012

Stayed one night on 14th April. Excellent value. Staff welcoming. The room was very clean, bathroom spotless with ample towels. A superb breakfast with staff very helpful. For a late booking of £98 for two including breakfast in a central London hotel you could not do any better.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MikeHRotherham
Thank you for your comments. It’s great to hear that you enjoyed our buffet breakfast and the hotel’s central location.

We hope to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.

New York
Reviewed 15 April 2012

The location was great, close to the Tube. The prices were so high for everything, including this very small room. Layout was very odd, and when I had questions on how to get some things to work, the front desk staff was not that pleasant about it. The wifi was very expensive - around $40 US/night. If it wasn't for the Hilton concierge room, we would have spent a fortune in breakfast. Although I've heard that small room sizes are the norm in Europe, it took some getting used to for me. But I have to say my favorite part (sarcastic) was the cleaning staff on my floor, who sang at the top of their lungs every morning of my stay starting at 7:00 AM. I think they might have been staying in the room next to me. Their healthy banging on the door for housekeeping was a little disconcerting as well.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
We appreciate your review of your recent stay at the DoubleTree by Hilton London – West End. While I am glad your enjoyed the hotel’s location in the heart of London’s West End, I am sorry to read you were not happy with your guestroom. I am also very sorry that your sleep was disturbed. If you do chose to come back to the hotel, please do let the Front Desk know about any noise disturbances as they occur and the Team will be happy to assist you.

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 12 April 2012

I stayed here for 5 nights on a recent business trip. Loved the west end location - very close to Holburn Station - 1.5 block walking distance. Restaurants nearby; as well as local coffee shops in the morning - my favorite, Costa, as well as a Starbucks on the same block. I was saved by the Pizza Express 3 doors down when I arrived after 9:30PM on a Sunday night. It was open and decent pizza - they are all over London and reliably good. The staff was helpful and friendly; the double room was small - barely big enough for the bed, but a comfortable bed was all I needed since I dont tend to spend alot of time in the room anyway. Clean and well equipped with everything you need. I will definitely stay here again on my next trip.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the second floor - you can take the stairs easily; and be slightly above the stree...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank teatravels
Sandro G, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel London - West End, responded to this review, 17 April 2012
Thank you very much for sharing your experience at the DoubleTree by Hilton London – West End. I am glad to read that our staff were friendly and you enjoyed your time with us.
We hope to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.

France
Reviewed 12 April 2012

We booked a double deluxe on an "any Weekend anywhere' deal. The room was fairly small but well equipped and as we were at the rear of the hotel, quiet at night. We found all the staff pleasant and helpful. The location is great for venturing into London. Covent Garden is a 15 minute walk and Holborn tube station a few minutes away. We hadn't pre booked breakfast and when we realised that there are numerous places to eat close to the hotel (Pret, Cafe Nero and Costa Coffee are all a few metres away) we stayed away from the expensive hotel option.

I will book again next time I'm in central London.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank MugoH
Thanks for staying here at the DoubleTree by Hilton London – West End. I’m happy to read that you enjoyed the hotel’s location in the heart of London’s West End.
The local cafés offer a good alternative to our breakfast buffet, which at £15, when booked with the room, offers you a wide choice of hot and cold items, home-baked muffins, cooked to order eggs, specialty coffees, juices, yoghurts, and fresh fruits for when you want to indulge a little more.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Belfast
Reviewed 11 April 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel with my hubsand for a weekend in London - my husband and I regularly go to London for weekends away, and we usually stay in the Soho/Bloomsbury area, so the location of this hotel, for us, was great.

We were designated room 506 at the beginning of our stay and it was pretty awful. The bed was concave in shape (sunken in slightly in the middle, with the head and foot of the bed level with the ground). The bathroom was the strangest layout I've ever encountered in a hotel - one tiny little ledge to put toiletries, far away from the sink, tub and toilet. There were no counters near the sink, toilet etc. The towel rack (which was a heated one that wasn't working) was about 6 feet away from the sink and bathtub. The pressure in the shower was HORRID. It took me 30 minutes to take a 15 minute shower because it took that long to get the shampoo and conditioner out of my hair. The tiny TV was a good 8-10 feet away from the bed (very narrow, long room), so it was hard to see the TV. We were very disappointed with the room, but the nail in the coffin was when it took 40 minutes and 4 phone calls to get an iron and ironing board delivered to the room. At this point, my husband wanted to talk to the manager.

The manager was extremely professional and helpful - when we made our views and disappointment known, he moved us to an Executive room at the other end of the hotel the next day. It was like a whole 'nother hotel over on the side of the hotel with the executive rooms. From that point on, we were very satisfied with the room.

Let me stress that it's not the size of the room that made the Executive room so much better - it was the fact that 1. everything worked properly in the Executive room 2. the attention to detail in the Executive room was far superior (I'm talking basic things like counter space in the bathroom, shower pressure, iron/ironing board in the room, etc.) and 3. the quality of the bed in the Executive room was far better.

The difference between the Executive and regular "deluxe" room was like a 4 star versus a 3 star. I applaud the management for rectifying a bad situation, but I would never stay in this hotel again, unless it was in one of the Executive rooms. You can get far better "regular" rooms at 4 star hotels surrounding this neighborhood at a comparable price - the hotels in the Radisson Edwardian family is one suggestion.

BTW, the service at the hotel (management excluded) - concierge, front desk, restaurant staff, was mediocre at best.

Room Tip: higher floor, not facing Southhampton Row
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Love2TravelBelfast
Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay at our hotel. While I am glad our Management Team was able to assist you, I am sorry that you were not happy with the first room you were allocated. We will review the layout of room #506 with your comments in mind to assess how we can make this room more convenient to use. With regards to your comments about the mattress, I am pleased to share that our extensive renovation of all bedrooms, meeting rooms and public areas will conclude with the replacement of mattresses throughout the hotel. This work will be completed by June 2012.
Thank you again for your feedback and we hope you’ll visit us again experience a higher level of customer service and room standard.