“Good things and bad things”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel London - West End
Ranked #386 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Good things and bad things”
Reviewed 23 July 2012

I stayed there for 4 nights on a business trip to London, I normally stay in the Holiday Inn up the road, but that was not available to me on this occasion, First impressions were good, however it appears that our corporate rate did not include Internet as it did up the road for which they wanted £15 a day (our booking system said it did) however after dismissing this as a joke ( I can get internet anywhere in Europe roaming via my mobile phone cheaper than that ) I checked out the more affordable options. There were around 4 BTOpenzone hotspots (which has a deal with many other networks )available from my room which are a fraction of the Hotel totally unrealistic price, and as I get access to those for free I was happier. (when are hotels in the UK going to realise that they could advertise Free internet and actually get more business? I'm always going to pick a hotel in preference to one that doesn't )
On arrival in the room, the phone was ringing, it was reception asking if I was happy with everything, as I hadn't even had the opportunity to put the card in the slot to turn the lights on I was a little unprepared to give a detailed response other that 'I think so' !
The bed was very comfortable, however the lack of any bedside power points meant I had to charge my phone on the other side of the room, and had to get out of bed to check time or answer texts etc, not good, and so simple to fix, even the hotels clock radio was on the other side of the room.
The bathroom appeared clean, however the large windowsill / shelf where all the soap etc was placed, was loose and not sealed in, there was an 8mm gap between it all the way around, and just looked a bit rubbish. The shower was an over the bath type of shower, however the water wasn't particularly powerful, and you had to angle the head to shoot the water out horizontally and stand in front of it, not really ideal, but at least you can get wet!
The first nights sleep was broken at Midnight when the fire alarms sounded for 30 seconds then stopped ... then started .... then stopped, finally after another 60 seconds sounded continuously, everyone started to migrate downstairs where no one seemed to be coordinating us, we stood in the foyer, then out the front, then in the foyer, and finally out the back of the hotel where we had to stand for 30 minutes, in all this time I heard not a peep from any of the hotel staff. On re-entering the hotel I was told I could not use the Lifts due to safety concerns, so after climbing 4 flights of stairs I was even more awake and out of breath ! (The lifts although are rated for 6 people would struggle to fit more than 4 )
The air conditioner also contributed to the insomnia due to making an annoying vibration sound for minutes at a time which would go quiet by tapping the side of it.
The following morning we received a note from the manager saying their 'state of the art' fir system had been triggered by a leaking water pipe in the conference room.... strange system.....
However, the best part of the stay I think was the breakfast, it was superb, and all of the breakfast staff were extremely friendly.
All in all, not bad, I would consider staying there again if I was prepared to take an extension lead and maybe some earmuffs .... (Joking)

Room Tip: Don't pay for the Hotel Internet, plently of cheaper options available via WIFI from your room.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank RoosterMoike
Sandro G, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel London - West End, responded to this review, 26 July 2012
Thank you very much for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I am glad to read that you enjoyed our buffet breakfast and that you are considering returning to the hotel. I am very sorry about the disturbance at night due to the fire alarm. The safety and security of our guests and team members is of utmost importance to us and in the very rare occasion of a fire alarm we are obliged to evacuate the hotel. This is particularly stressful to guests and staff when this happens at night time. I note your comments that communication during the evacuation could have been better and we will reflect on these comments with a view to implement further improvement through training.
We will also be happy to offer all of our guest’s free wireless internet in all public areas in the next month. Once again thank you for your very valuable feedback and I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel again soon

Sandro Guadagnini

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (483)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 23 July 2012 via mobile

Great location, but poor service from the off and tiny rooms. Would not stay here again

• Stayed July 2012
2 Thank slipshaney
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us. If you would like to provide further detail as to why you were unhappy with your stay please email Caitlin Klarenbach at c.klarenbach@dtlondonwestend.com and she will be happy to investigate and get back to you promptly.

newcastle
Reviewed 22 July 2012

The entrance and lobby were impressive, with a large, inviting seating area. We checked in quickly and easily and went up to our rooms to leave our bags before heading straight out to dinner a our train had been delayed by a couple of hours. The twin room was well decorated and a reasonable size for the two of us and the bathroom clean with a range of toiletries.
We had the breakfast buffet at the hotel both mornings and there was a good choice of the usual - cooked breakfast, pastries, fruit, cereal, etc with tea, coffee and juice brought to the table.
The downsides: the air conditioning didn't work, we couldn't turn it down below 19. We realised on the first night but it was late when we got in so thought we'd wait till morning to report it. The room was like an oven! We did report it the next morning, but came back that night to find that someone had gone into the room and simply turned it back on, and so had just heated the room back up to an oven again!! It was hard to sleep with the heat, and then I was also woken at one am by a loud humming noise - I spent twenty minutes trying to find the source of the noise flipping switches and pulling out plugs to no avail and was kept awake by it for over an hour till it eventually subsided.
I would have liked to give this hotel five stars for everything, but due to the heat issues and awful noise felt I had to give it three for the room, as what's the point of a lovely room if you can't sleep properly in it.

• Stayed July 2012
3 Thank fayNewcastle
Thank you very much for your valuable feedback regarding your recent stay with us here at the DoubleTree by Hilton London – West End. I am pleased to read you enjoyed our newly renovated entrance and lobby area and that our buffet breakfast provided you with a variety of choices. I am very sorry to hear that the air conditioning in your room was not working.
If you do in the future have any trouble with your room, even at night, please do not hesitate to call reception and the team will be more than happy to assist you immediately.
We do hope to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.

St Julians
Reviewed 20 July 2012

Upon entering the hotel I realised that a lot of effort was put into the design and alot spent in this hotel . The lobby was very impresive. We were allocated a small room next to a lift which within minutes we could hear the lift door open and close and hear whatever the people in the lift were saying. We complained and were given a room on the third floor - this time not close to the lift but a very small room with a very small double bed. We simply could not move around the room so for one of us to get to other side of room the other had to move into the bathroom. There was a small wardrobe which we could only open ajar as it hit against the bedside table. The concierge could not even speak good english and when one evening we asked him to let us know what there was on at the various theatres in London he looked at us and said " I do not know!!!!". I will definitely not recommend this hotel to couples as if they are offered a room like ours they will not get one good nights sleep.

Room Tip: I would not risk booking at this hotel as the two rooms we had were far too small for a couple. Only...
3 Thank Josephinemata
Thank you for your comments. I am glad to read that you enjoyed our lobby and recent renovation of the hotel. However, I am sorry you were not happy with the size of your room. Due to the historic nature of the building, our room sizes do vary slightly. I am also sorry to hear our Concierge team were not helpful when you asked for recommendations. I can assure you this is most unusual, and will be passing on your comments to our Head Concierge to fully investigate and re-train where necessary.
Once again thank you for your feedback and we do hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Canberra
Reviewed 19 July 2012

Our room in this hotel was really nice, the check in staff were good, the lounge was nice. Location of the hotel was very good and I would stay here again. However, twice I required assistance from the concierge desk. On the first occasion there was a long wait to leave our bags. On the second occasion after a few minutes waiting for someone I gave up and left.

1 Thank rbbrooks
Sandro G, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel London - West End, responded to this review, 24 July 2012
Thank you for choosing DoubleTree by Hilton London – West End during your recent trip to London. I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed the hotel’s central location and our Reception Team provided you with good customer service.
I will be sure to pass on your comments regarding our normally always manned Concierge desk for them to ensure there is someone ready and available to help our guests 24 hours a day.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon

uxonion
Reviewed 16 July 2012

This hotel is brand spanking new between Russell Square and Holborn tube stations.
Walk to Covent garden and Soho and west end shows. Right near the British Museum.
The room was new as I say. Small bedroom but great bathroom.
Comfy bed opening windows. Great Air Con.
No iron or minibar but biscuits with tea and coffee and mineral water in the room.
Breakfast is £17 but a good tip is to ask for a voucher.reduces to £12.50
If you can get a deal on this hotel go for it if not go to a real Hilton.

Room Tip: Get a high floor to avoid traffic noise although double glazing is good
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank uxonion
I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our newly renovated hotel located in close proximity to many of London’s greatest attractions.
We are sorry to hear you found the room small. All guest room should be equipped with an iron and board. We are sorry it was missing from your room. We offer minibars in Deluxe and Executive Rooms, both would also provide some extra space.

We do hope to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.

Sincerlely,
Stamford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2012

Brilliant stay ...staff were so helpful and let us book in early ...we were given a hot cookie straight out of the oven when we arrived,the room was spotless and the hotel lobby was lovley.the staff even phoned up to the room to ask if we found everything satisfactory ...100% we stay here again as in a good location and a short walk from some good attractions...cheerful happy friendly staff makes everyone happy welldone doubletree!!

Room Tip: if travelling by tube make sure you get off at Holburn and not Russell square as the lift and stairs...
2 Thank horspoola
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay with us here at the Doubletree by Hilton London – West End. It is fantastic to hear you had such an enjoyable stay with us and that the team were welcoming and friendly.
We hope to welcome you back again to the hotel very soon.