“Executive Suite!”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel London - West End
Ranked #408 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed 22 August 2012

I have stayed in a Hilton before in Iceland and that hotel was wonderful, staff super helpful, room (and it was standard) was amazing and the restaurant was to die for. So I was looking forward to staying in the Executive Suite at the London Hilton....Worlds apart!

I arrived there at 1.30 and my room was not ready, this I can cope with and definitely would not make my day a terrible one. They gave me my cookie and allowed me to put my bag in with concierge so perfect I was able to go around London. Yes I would have preferred a shower before venturing out but what can you do.

I arrived back in my hotel for 7.30 and the room was ready so great. I was shown where the Executive Lounge was and how to get to my room by a lovely gentleman. I got to my room and the door plastic at the top was hanging off again nothing to bad. I got in the room and it was clean but sweltering luckily the air-con worked :) there was 2 single beds not what I paid for I paid for a double bed! The view outside was just horrendous. Now this I would usually not mind as I dont spend much time in hotels but if you pay for the best room you expect the best I didn't pay £288.00 for a one night stay to be even slightly disappointed, If i paid £60 per night I would not have been fused but for that price yeah I want perfection!

When I arrived they took a £50.00 pre-authorization charge which I was told will be back on my card the next day. I asked the reception are they certain and they informed me yes, I let them know my concern as I only had the amount for the stay on that card and it would leave me overdrawn which I will be charged by my bank for the privilege. I was assured the money will be back in my account and that I have nothing to worry about. Well Reception LIE!

The pre-authorization is still not in my account and its been 4 days so guess what I have a bank charge lucky me!! So I rang reception, the manager was not there and he would call me back. A lady called me back...She explained to me what I already knew but didn't grasp the concept that because I am over into my overdraft which I don't have authority for I will get a bank charge. The lady just did not have a clue what I was going on about so that dispute has still not been sorted out and it was left that I should take to my bank hummm!!!! Had when I asked in the first place regarding the payments someone tells me that it wont be in my account the next day I would have transferred funds across to cover this but I was assured it would be in my bank the next day!!!

So had I paid £60 for the room none of this would have been a problem but I paid £288.00 for the room which I expected perfection from so all in all I actually paid £288 for the room £35 bank charges for incorrrect information = £323.00 for a stay which would have been no different to stay in a standard room! and for that matter Hugely Disappointed and will be staying elsewhere in the future!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank flutter100
Write a ReviewReviews (3,292)

Reviewed 21 August 2012

The positives - great location, apartment room was great for family of 4,easy tube access, room made up extremely well each day, quick restaurant meal at night was good, and reasonable value. The two big improvement needs - internet, while "free in public areas" requires you to go back begging to the front desk each day for a code for your one hour of free access. Even in the business center. This internet, or the one that you can pay for or receive complimentary if you are a diamond member, is very slow. When I am on vacation, I expect the internet to be available and fast so I can complete business quickly. Same if on business. Breakfast in "executive lounge". Complimentary yes. Staff slow to clean up, slow to replenish, clearly not a priority. On both counts, internet and breakfast, not even up to the standards of a $100 Hampton room in the us, and far below similar hotels I have recently stayed in in Paris, Barcelona, and Sao Paolo. Yes, did mention these things at hotel.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank norzee
Sandro G, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel London - West End, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2012

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us here at the DoubleTree by Hilton London – West End.
I am glad to read that you enjoyed the hotel’s location and high standards of room cleanliness and other positive observations you have made.
I am sorry to hear that you were not happy with our internet offering and service in the Executive Lounge at breakfast.
We appreciate your feedback and will reflect on how we can improve on these items.

Thank you again, we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 20 August 2012

ot a very good deal on Lastminute.com including breakfast, did not expect much, but was very pleased with the hotel and the service, every member of staff was helpful and went above and beyond, the room was small but well laid out with Tea&Coffee supplies, Breakfast was very good and again the staff were very helpful, I have added this to my list of London Hotels that I would be happy to visit again and will look forward to future discount offers from them.

Room Tip: Ask to be away from the Front (Traffic Noise)
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank notreadytogo

Thank you very much for your positive review regarding your recent stay with us here at the DoubleTree by Hilton London – West End. I am very pleased to hear that all of our team members were helpful and provided you with outstanding customer service.

Once again thank you for your feedback and we hope to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.

Reviewed 19 August 2012

Went for executive room which did not fail to disappoint. Arrived a bit early last Sunday, but greeted with lovely home made chocolate biscuits. The room was not ready but there was no problem leaving our cases so we could explore the end of the Olympics marathon.
Went back in the afternoon. The executive room was large with a massive bed. The bathroom was also very large which is exceptional for London hotels. There were lovely dressing gowns and slippers. It was ashame to leave the room but because it was the closing ceremony for the Olympics we felt we should be out.
If you book the exec room, there is a complimentary lounge area with some snacks, drinks, coffee etc. Unfortunately we could not make use of this as we were off out to Victoria Park to watch the closing ceremony.
I had not booked breakfast, but to our surprise there was a complimentary continental breakfast with cereals, juices, coffee, tea, toast, scrambled egg, fruit etc in the exec lounge. It was a nice touch.
I would say this is my favourite hotel so far in London. I am def going to book it again when I don't have as much planned in London.
Would be lovely for honeymooners.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay with us here at the DoubleTree by Hilton London – West End. I am glad to hear that you were happy with your Executive Room, which provide large beds and extra space. I am also glad to hear that you enjoyed our complimentary continental breakfast which is offered to all Executive Guests in our Executive Lounge.

We hope to welcome you back to the hotel again soon next time you are in London.

Reviewed 13 August 2012

This hotel has a very helpfull and friendly staff. The hotel needs a makeover but if you just expect a bed to sleep in with your stay in London this is fair and central and a little too expensive in return on what you get. You will be charged for the use of wifi. As i stayed it was special offer £25 breakfast and wifi for 24 h. Breakfast itself was £13. I think they should enter 2012 and offer wifi for free. This is defenitely a "Brown Hotel" which means old, almost clean, something which you forget about.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Anja M
Sandro G, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel London - West End, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us here at the DoubleTree by Hilton London – West End. I am very pleased to hear that your team was helpful and friendly during your stay; however I am concerned to read that you think the hotel needs a makeover. We have just completed a major renovation to the hotel, both the public areas and bedrooms. If you have any further details of areas of the hotel that you think need attention please email Caitlin Klarenbach at c.klarenbach@dtlondonwestend.com. Regarding internet access, we are now happy to offer all of our guest’s free wifi in public areas.

Reviewed 8 August 2012

Hi Dear.

My name is Mrs. Maduka Getrude Ndidi, am a Nigerian and work with the Petroleum Technology Development Fund, Abuja, Nigeria. I visited London from 7th to 22nd of July, 2012 for 2 weeks training programme and also to attend my graduation ceremony at the University of Salford, Greater Manchester ( I just completed a Masters Degree programme in Human Resource Management & Development).

This was actually my stay at the Double Tree Hotel by Hilton (Holborn), though I visit London every year for 2 weeks training programme, but this particular period was just about the best. It was very wonderful and exciting for me.

I wish to thank Mr. Vidush A, the Manager, for all his kind gestures during my stay at the Double Tree by Hilton. Initially, I taught I was not going to enjoy my stay when we had the initial challenge with our rooms e.t.c, but thank God we met wonderful people like Mr. Alex, whom we taught was the Manager, cos of the way he received us that night we checked in. However, while I was still worried about the situation (size of room I was meant to stay for 16 days) during the class session, I was informed by my training facilitator that the Manager of Double Tree by Hilton (Mr. Vidush A.) have resolved the situation, I doubted him initially, but to my amazement, when I got back to the hotel, I found out that he actually made me more comfortable beyond my expections!

I had a very pleasant stay at the Double Tree Hotel by Hilton, I felt at home and all the staff at the hotel were wonderful people, particularly the manager, Mr. Vidush. He is indeed a very good Manager. He is very patient and kind hearted. Even though he had very tight schedule most of the times, but he also made sure his guests were taken good care off. I remeber most vividly, the incident of false fire alarm, which occured between 12.30-1am, when we were asked to re-enter into the hotel, I was re-assured that the Hotel management really cared by the mere presence of the Manager that time of the day, I mean it was quite obvious he came back to duty because he cared. I was very pleased when I woke up and saw the letter of apology and assurance signed by him (Mr. Vidush A.). Myself and other colleagues of mine from Nigeria were really moved by this actions.

May I say that Mr. Vidush was so concerned and nice to us, he went as far as getting a taxi to take us to the airport the day we checked out, though it was on a sunday when he was off duty, but I remember he called us several times to ensure we were o.k and had reached the airport in good time.

I think Mr. Vidush A. is MORE THAN A WONDERFUL PERSON. He has all the qualities of a Good Leader, and indeed well skilled. On behalf of myself and my colleagues, we want to say THANK YOU. We wish him success in all his endavours and am sure its some of these above mentioned qualities he has that has made him what he presently is at work, and we wish him the very BEST in his career.

We want to assure him that in our next or subsequent visits to London, we will definately stay at the Double Tree by Hilton (Holborn). We are all very pleased with him and look forward to meeting him and his great team again.

What I aprreciated most about my trip was the fact that I felt at home, had people who cared and smiled ALWAYS at me and the FOOD is just excellent! I made sure I never missed the morning breakfast particularly. In addition, the location of the hotel is quite nice and the rooms are tastefully furnished. I just love almost everything about the place.

Am glad I stayed at the Double Tree Hotel by Hilton (Holborn) and have shared all the wonderful moments and experinces with my family and other colleagues in my place of work here in Nigeria. I really look forward to my next visit which will definately be in Double Tree by Hilton (Holborn), particularly because of the personality of the Manager, Mr. Vidush; Mr. Alex and the entire smiling faces around the hotel.

Cheers!

Maduka G. Ndidi
Abuja, Nigeria.
[--]

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business

Dear Mr. Ndidi,
Thank you very much for your most positive and kind feedback regarding your recent stay with us here at the DoubleTree by Hilton London – West End. I am extremely pleased to hear that our Front of House Manager, Vidush and the entire team made your stay with us so enjoyable and memorable. I am particularly pleased to hear you felt well looked after and secure during a late night fire alarm at the hotel. I will be sure to pass on your great comments on to Vidush, Alex and the whole team to encourage them to keep up the great work.
Once again thank you very much for your feedback and we hope to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.

Reviewed 8 August 2012

A one night stay whilst attending the opening ceremony. Booked a one bedroom suite which had a small kitchen area, bathroom, sitting room with double sofa bed and linked by a spiral stairway, a mezzanine floor bedroom. There was a balcony, but could not get access to it. As suites go, it was a little on the small side but it is central London and it would provide a good base for a longer stay.

The hotel was very busy with international guests for the Olympics and the cost eye watering. However, it was convenient for getting to the stadium. Lots of shops nearby for snacks which is particularly important when travelling with little ones.

By the time we got back which was almost 2am, sofa bed had been opened out for son which was nice and bathroom robe and slippers left for him in addition to those for my husband and I.

Food, cannot comment as we did not eat here.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family

Thank you for your comments regarding your special Olympic stay with us here at the DoubleTree by Hilton London – West End. I am very pleased to hear you and your family enjoyed your time with us.
We do hope to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.