“Great family room but stay marred by yobs in next room”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel London - West End
Ranked #395 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed 15 December 2013

We came to visit Santa at Hamleys with our children so booked the largest two bedroomed apartment which was brilliant and had everything we could want apart from the worst neighbours who were in a standard room next door! There appeared to be around 6 people making more noise than I've ever experienced before in a hotel - soundproofing is an issue here. Even with ear plugs I could hear them running about shouting on the balcony and throwing things over onto the street below.
I complained about this noise (at 12.45am and a further two times upto 1.30am) and the staff did go up but it was only after the third time I complained that these morons next door quieted down. I was in tears by then and had 5 hours sleep. I don't feel that my complaints were taken particularly seriously and it almost ruined my stay. One thing parents with young children need is plenty of sleep if they are going to spend it in London near Christmas, so putting a premium family room next door to a standard room during the party season is ridiculous. Anyway, the following night they had gone, so all was silent.
To summarise the rest of our stay:
Location: great and everything easily accessible by bus or taxi, British Musuem walking distance
Bed ok, pillows too soft feather ones better than foam
Room clean and great size for our family upstairs room very hot though and air con was pumping out hot air
Cookie on arrival - nice
Interest in children - zero, no special extras
Breakfast - usual buffet style with hot options
Would I stay again? probably as the room suited our needs and we were very unlucky with our neighbours - I just wish hotels had a zero tolerance policy on behaviour!

There are newer reviews for DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel London - West End

Reviewed 12 December 2013

The good point about this hotel is the location - very close walking distance to the British Museum, Covent Garden, the Strand and even the Thames.

It's probably OK for a vacation, but I had a terrible time here on a business trip.

On arrival after an overnight trans-Atlantic flight and wanting to get some rest before a dinner that evening, my room was very noisy (sounded like there was a service entrance where rubbish was being dragged onto the street in metal containers right under me). After dinner I wanted to get some work done - couldn't connect to the wi-fi with my name and room number. At about 11.30pm the front desk called to say someone would come up to fix my A/C shortly (I had no problem with the HVAC) waking me up. I told them this was a mistake, but 15 minutes later (close to midnight) the serviceman knocked on my door.

Next day, after work meetings wanted to work for a bit in the hotel room, but remembering the issue with the wi-fi the day before stopped by the front desk. For 15 pounds they gave me a wi-fi code. In my room I entered it, but their system was so slow as to be unusable. I couldn't stay connected to my VPN. I finally gave up and went to the Starbucks down the road to work.

Next morning they decided to renovate the carpets outside my room with a great racked.

Miserable experience. For the same basic area I would recommend the Apex Temple Court on Fleet St. Nicer rooms, good Internet and better service for about the same price per night.

Room Tip: Low rooms (certainly first floor) very noisy. Only some rooms have been renovated.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 December 2013

It's hard to know where to begin with Peadar McFadden and his team at the DoubleTree by Hilton London - West End. Without exception the kindness, thoughtfulness and consideration has been overwhelming.

It all started about 3 months ago when we hosted an afternoon tea for our rare dementia Facebook group, PCA Awareness. With the challenges faced by patients and carers, it's not easy to organise gatherings in 'normal' venues.

However, once I'd explained our particular needs, the team went out of their way to ensure a safe and calm space for 24 of us to meet face-to-face, including 3 guests from Australia.

It was such a success that I was asked to organise a Festive Tea which took place today.

The DoubleTree team remembered our group's particular needs re-creating the space (familiar surroundings), improving the service (kept hot pots off the tables and provided complimentary tea and coffee on arrival) and going the extra mile by replenishing whatever we wanted.

It must have felt weird for the team who are so proud of their 'brand' NOT to put white table cloths out (the white crockery would seem to 'disappear' to some patients), NOT to decorate the room for Christmas (in fact, they had removed them) and NOT to put out Christmas crackers (they had figured out it would make the table cluttered and possibly confusing). But all these touches were noticed and appreciated.

Thank you so much for once again making us feel welcome and as long as you want us, we'll keep coming back!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Peadar M, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel London - West End, responded to this reviewResponded 14 December 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your wonderful review and lovely comments on your recent experienced with us.

It is a real pleasure to hear that your Afternoon Tea event was a success and that your group had an enjoyable experience. I was especially happy to learn that our team went the extra mile to ensure that every detail would be suitable to welcome your guests. I will be sure to congratulate our team for their great work.

We would be delighted to welcome you back and look forward to being your hosts in a near future.

Best Regards

Reviewed 9 December 2013

Rooms are very small...room was not ready on arival at 8pm.... do watch out for the £25 pick 2 deal as its per room not as they tried to charge me per person (see posters in hotel) overall not wonderfull ....

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
1  Thank Irving R
Reviewed 5 December 2013

I have to say I don't think I've stayed anywhere in the last few years with such lovely and chirpy staff. They really did make up for a great hotel that's wearing a little thin at the edges. We stayed 2 nights in a deluxe room largely with Hilton points. The room was nice and large and accommodated us and our 2 year old very nicely. In fact much larger than many hotels in the area. Everything was functional even if looking a little dated. The bed could have been more comfortable, but the pillows were lovely plump feather. Naturally the bed side lacked power points for recharging devices, probably because the room was last remodeled before mobile phones had been invented. The desk was small but adequate and had a very comfortable chair and good access to power points.
The bathroom was OK. The towels varied between old and rough as sandpaper one day to much lighter and fluffy the next. Worthwhile to have a clear out of the older towels perhaps?
The WIFI was chargeable 15GBP per day which was contrary to the room guide that said it was free. Free WIFI was available in the lounge area, which is something I find rather bizarre. Guests paying to stay in the hotel's rooms are charged for WIFI access while in the bar, any old punter can log on for free. That's doesn't make much commercial sense to me.
Breakfast was a buffet style, and there in uncovers one of the big challenges of the cooked buffet. Keeping food warm enough not to go cold, but not so warm it overcooks. Alas they didn't really get it right....though extra crispy bacon is a favorite of my wife.
I didn't dislike the place, it is very well connected for Convent Garden and we did have a nice quiet room. But if I'd paid full price for the room, I'm not sure the lovely staff would have made up for it.

1  Thank Steve B
Peadar M, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel London - West End, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your valuable feedback and for taking your time to comment on your recent experience with us.

I was delighted to hear that our team provided such a friendly and welcoming service, and that their hospitable and positive attitude conveyed so well the caring philosophy of our hotel.
It is also a pleasure to see that you found our rooms comfortable and well appointed.
However, I am very sorry to learn that you were disappointed by the consistency of our room amenities and that you weren't entirely satisfied with our internet offering in the hotel. I would like to assure you that your insightful observations have been taken on board and shared with the relevant departments for our improvement.

We do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again for a new stay the next time you are in London.

Best Regards

Reviewed 5 December 2013

I have stayed at this hotel 3 or 4 times in recent years and have always had a good experience. The rooms have been excellent and clean. Good quality towels and bathroom toiletries. The breakfast room and the variety of food available has been very good and top quality. The bar area is very welcoming although the prices for the drinks are very expensive. This time round however did not meet my expectaions in respect of the checking in process. It took the guy nearly 20 mins ro check us in as he didn't seem to know what to do. There was no complimentary warm cookies offered to us, perhaps they do not advertise this in their ads if this is the case. Also we had to go back to reception on 3 seperate occasions as the door card would not work. Other than that the stay was good.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback and for your time taken to also complete our online survey regarding your recent stay with us.

I was very happy to learn that you have visited our hotel on different occasions and always had an enjoyable experience, where you found our rooms comfortable and well appointed and our breakfast of such good quality.
However I regret to hear that you were less satisfied with the service provided by our Front Office this time around, and have immediately shared your comments with the team for them to improve and retrain where required.

We do hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again in a near future and continue providing the level of service and accommodation that you are accustomed to.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 4 December 2013

Have just returned after a lovely 3 night stay.. Great lcation just a 20 minutes wlak from Euston, 5 minutes into New Oxford street along with Convent garden etc... Holbourn tube just 500meters down the road so great acessability to other major attractions.
Check-in was totally hassell free and a bonus that our room was ready at midday. Greeted by a lovely warm cookie and shown to our room. Lovely layout kingsize room, great bathroom and all amenities (and more) as expected for a DB Hilton.
A huge choice of breakfast, continental or full english, even had a smoothie maker to make your own juice - one thing we did notice was the pice for breakfast alone...very expensive so 100% recommend getting an breakfast inclusive rate.
Overall a great stay, nice neighbourhood and friendly, helpful staff...

Room Tip: Request a quiet room - front of hotel is on a very busy main road and can become quite noisy late ni...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Peadar M, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel London - West End, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your wonderful review regarding your recent stay with us.

I am delighted to learn that you have had such an enjoyable experience at our hotel, and that you liked our central location, our comfortable rooms and a welcoming check-in. I was also very pleased to learn that you enjoyed our Wake Up DoubleTree Breakfast.

We do hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again on your next trip to London.

Kind Regards