“Great Hotel with minor issues”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel London - West End
Ranked #384 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Scarsdale, United States
“Great Hotel with minor issues”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

My stay at the hotel was wonderful, except for one major issue. We were given a room with a handicap bathroom which was fine until I took a shower. After the shower, almost none of the water drained from the bathroom, and the floor was covered in about an inch of water. Would definitely recommend the hotel, but not a handicap room.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

1 Thank Olivia W
Peadar M, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel London - West End, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for for taking the time to review your recent stay at the DoubleTree by Hilton London West End.
We are sorry you have encountered some Maintenance issues when staying with us. Rest assured we have shared your comments with your Maintenance team for them to investigate and resolve as appropriate.

We are looking forward to host you again in the near future and to ensuring that your stay is a perfect one.

Kind Regards,

p.mcfadden@dtlondonwestend.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (488)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Belfast
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We stayed at DoubleTree by Hilton West End London last weekend.
This was the smallest room we have ever stayed in. I asked at the desk if they could put us in a bigger room but was told "no", unless we paid a £30 upgrade.
On departure we complained and did manage to get a discount and an apology.
The hotel has an excellent location but I would think twice about staying there again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing DoubleTree by Hilton for your recent stay and providing us with your feedback.

We are very sorry to hear you were not entirely satisfied with the size of the room as well as the service provided at the Front Desk. We have immediately shared your feedback with our Front Office Team for them to investigate and ensure that our highest standards are always delivered.

Due to the historical nature of our traditional London building, our rooms do vary in size. We will endeavour to allocate you a larger room on your next stay with us. Please contact me directly to make a reservation and we will ensure that every detail of your stay is given our best attention.

Kind Regards,

p.mcfadden@dtlondonwestend.com
Staffs, England
Reviewed 6 July 2014

From the cookie presented in a bag to the fast check out, this place seemed to have got it together. Rooms are well decorated and not big but adequate: bathrooms are well equipped, iron and board is there in the wardrobe, coffee/tea/chocolate making facilities all make this an easy place to stay. It's 10 mins from Euston and 10 mins from parts of the west end, so well situated and easy to find. Wifi was disappointing - lobby only or pay a hefty room fee, but if you've a 3G card, then I'd say this is one of the better places to stay at this price level.

Room Tip: Front room might be noisy as the street is busy. HHonors member get a dedicated floor - which I gues...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank skyjockey99
Peadar M, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel London - West End, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your lovely review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and our fantastic amenities. With regards to Wi-Fi, I can assure you that we are looking at a new user friendly solution to ensure that this facility is of the highest standard. Currently we provide complimentary Wi-Fi in public areas as well as to our valued Hilton Honours Gold and Diamond members.

We look forward to welcoming you to the hotel again soon.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

We booked this hotel last minute and found it to be an excellent choice. The room was great and the breakfast was really good. It was only a 2 minute walk from a tube station and 20 minutes from Covent Garden.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Dear Guest,

Thank you kindly for this lovely review and we hope to be your host again in the near future.
Assuring you of our best attention at all times.

Falkirk, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 July 2014

My wife and I spent the weekend in London. Stayed at this Hilton hotel with four others. Paid £184 for a night and ended up with no hot water. The temperature of the water was barely tepid. Not ideal for a so called good quality hotel. Don't take room 145.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with hot running water.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest

Thank you for booking our hotel and for taking the time to write this review. We have investigated the hot water issue to ensure that it is immediately remedied. I assure you that this is a complete exception and not a common issue at the hotel. I am sorry that we did not get to make matters up to you while you were here, however I will contact you separately and hope that you will allow us the opportunity to restore your faith in us.

London
Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

The location of the hotel is brilliant a 5min walk from Holborn or Russell Sq and a 15min walk to Covent Garden.

The entrance and reception is really nicely done, very spacious so made it easy to check in or meet people with lots of seating.

The room was very pleasant and good facilities like separate radio alarm clock, safe, iron, kettle but sadly no hairdryer so make sure you ask for one in reception. Sadly I found out too late and didn't fancy being an exhibitionist going down in my town to get one when I realised!!!!

There was surround sound I'm the bathroom too which was great but it was sadly let down by the poor shower weak and cold shower which was made even smaller by having a huge rail and shelf in there. Very badly designed. The staff were very apologetic on checkout but the thing I most look forward to when I stay at a hotel is a powerful shower.

It was pretty expensive for what it was but would be value for money just for the location if they have any special offers on.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the review and I am pleased to hear that you had an overall positive experience. I was really pleased to learn that you enjoyed our great location,Lobby and room amenitiies, however I am sorry that a few things let you down during the stay. Each room should come equiped with a hairdryer in the wardrope and I have raised this issue with housekeeping to ensure that we never sell a room without all of our promised amenities.

I will contact you sepertaely for the room details and will ensure that maintenace address the issues you highlighted with regards to the shower and bathroom design. I am pleased to inform you that we have recently introdduced new shower heads, which are eco friendly, however give a great guest experience. The feedback on these has been very positive.

I hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back soon, where we will ensure that every detail is given the best attention.

Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 July 2014

I stayed here on business and as I was travelling alone, I selected a single room. The hotel is ideally located for central London and is a few minutes walk from the British Museum and not far from Euston and St. Pancras/Kings Cross train stations. The communal areas are very comfortable and well decorated. You are greeted with the usual Doubletree warm chocolate and nut cookie which is always delicious. The reception staff were very helpful, as were the staff at breakfast the next morning. I paid £218 for bed and breakfast for a single room and although I was accepting of the fact that I got what I booked, if you want a sizeable room where you don't feel like you're staying in a broom cupboard, book a double! I could touch both sides of the room nearly and the dark wood was quite oppressive. Having said that, I went down to reception and asked if it was possible to swap rooms if they weren't full and reception were happy to oblige.
My next room was a double and was nice enough and clean, decorated to a contemporary standard. The hotel room was on the 6th floor, very quiet and I had no disturbance from the street or from other rooms so I had an excellent night's sleep.
Breakfast the next morning was of a high standard, usual English fare with plenty of choice. I would definitely say here again and there are plenty of restaurants, supermarkets and pubs/wine bars a few doors down/in the area so if you want to go out and explore it is on your doorstep. There is a lovely Italian a few doors down if you turn right out of the hotel - well worth a visit - all the food is fresh and made from scratch.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a high floor to guarantee a good night's sleep
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business