“Hotel falls somewhere between "quaint European" and "Americanized".”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel London - West End
Ranked #400 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I booked a Doubletree rather than a typical quaint European hotel because I was hoping for more of an American-style bathroom. My main complaint was the shower was more of a mist and the glass shower door made it hard to keep the water in the tub. The teen girls in my group complained they weren't easily able get their hair wet. The hotel is tastefully decorated in a contemporary style. The breakfast is nice. The staff is helpful and friendly. My bed was a little worn out with a sagging mattress. Air conditioning was spotty and there was a heat wave in London when we were there.

The hotel is well located, just a short walk from the Holborn Underground Station, and the neighborhood is stocked with quite a few restaurants. It is also walkable to many major attractions if you are fit. We walked to the Eye, Trafalgar Square, Big Ben, Parliament and Westminster Abbey.

I'd probably stay here again, but only if the rates were low. They were pretty high when I booked my rooms. With lower room rates, the rating would have been higher.

1  Thank WardHayworth
Peadar M, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel London - West End, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing The DoubleTree by Hilton London West End.
We are extremely happy to hear that you were satisfied with our team's performance and that you have enjoyed your breakfast during your stay. However, I was very sorry to hear you have encounered issues with the shower in your room. We have an extensive property maintenance plan ongoing to ensure that the quality of maintenance in all guest rooms is of the highest standard. All of our shower heads have been replaced just recently. Please can you send your reservation details or room number to p.mcfadden@dtlondonwestend.com so that I can address the bed/mattress issue highlighted.
Please do contact me directly for future reservations where I will ensure that every detail is given the best attention.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 21 July 2014

The very best part of this hotel is the location. Near the heart of the city with quick access to anywhere in London. Two block access to Holborn tube station and a pretty quick 7-8 minute cab ride to Waterloo Train Station. Ample places to eat and all within walking distance. Staff was professional and friendly. Only drawback was the quality/size of the room for the amount paid. I know it's London and the room sizes are nothing like the U.S., but had to upgrade room because the Standard size room for 2 people was just not doable; 1 person would be cramped, but noway two people can stay in those rooms. However, I would stay there again due to the perfect location in the city. Oh, one further thing: great A/C in the rooms!!

Room Tip: Standard room for 1 person is very, very small compared to U.S. Standards.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with this review.
We are delighted to read your great comments about our team members, I will ensure to share your comments for their great work. Yes indeed, we are perfectly located within walking distance to many London sites.
I was very sorry to learn that you were not satisfied with the size of your room. All of our rooms differ in size and layout due to the nature of the building. We will endeavour to allocate you a larger room on your next stay with us.

We do hope to welcome you back on your next visit to London.

Best regards,

Reviewed 21 July 2014

Lovely, polite & friendly staff. Clean, modern rooms. Welcome cookie on arrival & jug of juice in reception - a nice touch. Delicious breakfast, with a good selection of fruits and pastries, along with the full English! Well located, 5 min walk from Holborn tube station.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
Reviewed 20 July 2014

The location of this Hilton DoubleTree property is spectacular … the building itself is nice, location close to the theater district, on the Piccadilly Tube Line direct from Heathrow with convenient tube stops, and close to great attractions and fantastic dining. Arriving at 1p, the rooms were not ready and the front desk promised 1 family suite and the other being upgraded to an executive suite, we stored our bags and thought at first we found a gem.

When we checked in later that evening, we were pleased but far from impressed. The lifts are really cramped and slow and the family suite would be fine for 2. My 3 daughters were staying in it and when you use the family area as a sleeping room it was very cramped with a very small bathroom and feeling generally tired. Might be good for a couple with an infant, but tight for 15 to 23 year olds. The executive king was fine for business but nothing special and again feeling a bit tired. I am Hilton Diamond, so I use a lot of their properties and this one definitely has potential … but until they invest in a more extensive renovation, there are a lot of much more attractive hotel alternatives in London if you are looking for top notch experiences. It didn't help my opinion that a pickpocket attempted to lift my satchel in a rather crowed lounge.

Kudos to the breakfast, however, staff and food did get the family's day started with a smile and some energy.

Room Tip: The lifts are slow and cramped … so during high tour seasons make sure to get a low floor. Family su...

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your valuable feedback.
The hotel is indeed in a good location, I was happy to hear you were upgraded to an executive and family rooms, however I was very sorry to hear that you didn't find them spacious enough. Please note due to the historical nature of our traditional London building, our rooms do vary in size. We will endeavour to allocate you a larger room on your next stay with us. I was very concerned to hear about the attempt to take your satchel.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly with further details in order for us to maximize safety and comfort of our guests.

I was however pleased to hear that you did enjoy our breakfast in the morning.

Reviewed 18 July 2014

I had won a night's stay in a DoubleTree hotel at a Traverse Events Mingle. After much deliberation my partner and I decided to stay at this one in Central London and have a touristy day. The location is excellent, we were able to walk to the British Museum and into Soho for lunch and dinner. We checked in early in the morning, leaving our bags with the concierge, and munching our warm cookies for breakfast. Everyone was very helpful and friendly. The room itself was huge (we upgraded to a double executive). I was able to starfish on the bed, which normally leaves my partner no room, but he still had plenty of bed for himself. My only issue was there not being a bottle opener in the room, we had to open our World Cup Final beers with a teaspoon. Not much of a hardship, but a little niggle. I would definitely recommend this hotel for people wanting to sight-see in Central London.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Stayed here on business for one night in a double room. All standard DoubleTree characteristics & staff very friendly. Was impressed at the size of the room - by no means large, but most London hotels are very cupboard like, yet there was plenty room to move around and the bathroom was huge!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Dear Guest,
Thank you for choosing The DoubleTree by Hilton London West End for your recent stay.
We are delighted to read that you overall enjoyed your stay with us.
However, as we warmly welcome your opinion for our improvement, please do not hesitate to contact me directly if you wish to share any further comments and suggestions on how we could have exceeded your expectations.
We do hope to welcome you again at the hotel sometime soon.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

I decided to take my girlfriend to London for three days to celebrate her birthday. We went to see Matilda at the Cambridge Theatre which is only about a 15 min walk away from the hotel. The hotel is in a perfect location for the likes of Covent Garden, so i would highly recommend this hotel for this benefit as you don't even need to get on a tube if you don't wish.

When we arrived we were allocated room 114 (to a tray of room service that had not been cleaned away). The room was on the small side, however was a nice double standard room for two nights. We didn't have much time from check in to look at the room as we needed to change, get something to eat and then off to the theatre. But when we returned we found that the water in the en-suite wasn't getting hot. This was also the same in the morning. Also when we went to bed we discovered that the TV screen had a pink line running down the screen (this wasn't important to us but needed to point it out so that it was reported). We were then moved that morning to room 415 which had a king size bed and was more spacious. However the air conditioning made a loud rattling noise, but we put up with that. The most annoying thing is that we had to move all our luggage and birthday presents from one room to another just because these problems haven't been checked/reported.

We found the majority of the staff could have been on the more friendly side. The only guy we found friendly and helpful was the concierge. On checkout I was asked if we had a nice stay and I said it was ok but...and she cut me off and said "thankyou for staying with us". That was it. It was like she was not bothered about my stay at all and couldn't be bothered to hear my feedback.

To say I paid a little under £300 for this two night stay. I didn't really get the room/service to match the price tag! However the hotel has potential.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jamieu U

Dear Guest,
Thank you for choosing The DoubleTree by Hilton London West End for your recent stay and for providing us with this feedback.
We are glad to hear you enjoyed your time in London however we are very sorry to hear you experienced some maintenance and cleanliness issues during your stay. I am very sorry you did not have hot water on your first night as well as that the air-conditioning unit was noisy. I have immediately addressed such matters to our Maintenance Team for them to investigate and ensure that such situations do not reoccur.
We are delighted to inform we have currently upgraded our TV system in all of our bedrooms where you can enjoy more channels with proper digital picture on our new Samsung LED TVs.

I was very sorry to hear you found our staff not friendly and inattentive. Rest assured we strive to achieve nothing but the best service and accommodation. We have addressed your comments to our team in order to ensure that our highest standards are always looked after.
We would also be very keen on making matters up to you and restoring your faith in us. As we warmly welcome your opinion to constantly improve our services and accommodation, please do not hesitate to contact me directly if you wish to share any further comments regarding your stay and how we could have exceeded your expectations.

We do hope to have the opportunity to improve your impressions and welcome you again in a near future.