“Inconsistent”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel London - West End
Ranked #408 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Fantastic central London location with easy access to the main sites. Rooms were fine but they seem to have used the same fittings even though the room sizes vary dramatically, this resulted in a bathroom that was huge but had a tiny sink. Service was inconsistent. Friendly arrival with a lovely cookie but one room we had booked was not ready and instead of brining the keys to our other room as promised we had to chase this up. Rooms were also not as booked as only one of them had a sofa bed in it, we decided to not to mention this because it was more important for us to have rooms together but I would have thought reception would have at least checked this was acceptable. We reported a faulty toilet in one room on day two and this was still not fixed by the end of our stay on day four. Housekeeping was inconsistent and we felt that more attention could have been paid.

Breakfast was excellent with good service.

Overall, we booked this as part of the Hilton summer sale so we were satisfied with our stay but at full rack rates would have felt that the standards were not up to scratch.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Jonathan M
Peadar M, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel London - West End, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

Dear Guest,

We very much appreciate the review and assure you that we will use this feedback to continuously improve on our service. I have contacted you separately in order to address matters.

We look forward to being your host again and ensuring that every detail is given the very best attention.

Best regards,

Hotel Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (3,292)

Reviewed 9 August 2014

Nice staff, nice hotel, nice central location in London, very well connected: easy to reach the airports with the underground or two stops from the Lincoln Street Station. Close to both British Museum and Covent Garden area, full of restaurants and entertainment.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback and for taking the time to review your recent stay at DoubleTree by Hilton London West End.

We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and will make sure to share your comments with our team for their great work.

We do hope to welcome you again at the hotel soon

Best regards,

Reviewed 7 August 2014

I checked in 2 times for a week. First check-in with the delicious cookie after a mid-night flight is so warm and welcomed. I was checked-in a room with double beded room which was spacious enough.

I went to other places over weekend so I asked if I can leave my luggage at concierge, which I was a bit disappointed that they say no to me and tell me to leave my luggage at Euston station.

When I check-in the second time, the room for single is much smaller than the room before with a tiny single bed. I was disappointed and the front desk explained to me that I was being upgraded last time. I accepted the fact and get to sleep...however...the room no.617 is very noisy, there are door banging from 3am until I woke up at 7am. The worse thing happened to a person who has phoenix phobia was there are dead birds hanging outside the window...when I open the curtain in the morning.

I just can't stop myself pick up the phone and lodge my complaint 7am in the morning. I need to thanks to the lady in the front desk, she is very understanding and offer me to change to another room which solve the above problem for my next 3 nights stay.

Afterall, I am happy with the hotel, the location is very good and convenient. By the way, they are very close to the Russell Square which is a very nice garden for morning jogs.

Room Tip: I guess you need to complain to get a better room.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing DoubleTree by Hilton London - West End for your recent stay and providing us with your feedback.

I was happy to hear our Front Office Team were helpful, accommodating and responsive when you reported issues during your stay. However I was sorry to learn you were disappointed with services provided by our concierge. Please note that our security policy is not to hold luggage for long periods of time or post check-out. This should have been communicated clearly and I will ensure that all team members make this clear in future.

I was also sorry to hear you were disturbed by noise, rest assured we will allocate you to a quiet room for your future stays with us. We have recently invested in additional bird proofing on the roof areas to avoid any birds from coming into the courtyard. I'm sorry that you witnessed this and assure you that it is a complete exception.

Assuring you of my best attention at all times.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 6 August 2014

Terrible. Room cost over 200 US a night, size of a closet. Literally, my closet at home is the same size as this room. Single bed, one pillow. Wifi didn't work. Staff were rude and unhelpful. Elevator was even tiny. One person width and so loud. Right across from my door, kept me up all night. AC was equally loud and inefficient. Shower was a joke. No washrag, (although this seems to be the norm in Europe so take that with a grain of salt) no shampoo, lotion, etc. Like staying at hostel with walls around the bunk. I specifically booked Hilton because I thought they maintained a certain standard of quality. Clearly, they do not. Oh, almost forgot. Put in for a wakeup call that never came. Called down and asked them to call a cab to take me to the station so I didn't miss my train (I had booked this location so I could walk to and from Kings Cross but it is 20 minutes and I lost that). They said they would. They didn't. But the doorman did manage to flag one down for me.

Room Tip: Go someone else. And read the reviews. I made the mistake of relying on Hilton's reputation an...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Deanna G

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback about your recent stay with us.

I was very sorry to hear you experienced some maintenance and service issues, therefore I have contacted you separately on this matter.

Assusring you of my best attention at all times.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

We experienced a good clean hotel with pleasant helpful staff.
Standard room is on the small side, but we were expecting this being in London. Location is perfect for subway and within walking distance of many attractions, British Museum, Covent Garden and theatre area. Many eating establishments to choose from, with coffee stores just next door.

Room Tip: Request a room at the back of the hotel. Southampton Row is a busy street
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Peadar M, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel London - West End, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your positive feedback and for taking the time to review your recent stay at the DoubleTree by Hilton London West End.
We are delighted to read that you overall enjoyed your stay with us, however we are sorry to hear you weren't entirely satisfied with the size of your room. We will endeavour to allocate you a larger room on your next stay with us.
We do hope to welcome you again at the hotel soon

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Stayed at the hotel for one evening in July with my husband. I am a Hilton Honors member so upgraded my room using points. The room and the hotel as a whole was very nice but the 2nd floor was like a sauna and unfortunately so was our room. We had the aircon on full pelt and the windows open, but it still too hot. Sadly neither of us slept and on reporting it to reception, it seems to have been a common issue that weekend.

Other than that, the room was very nice and spacious. We had breakfast in the restaurant the next morning which was great. The service of the staff in the restaurant was super from the lady who seated us at the table to the gentleman who served us our coffee. The quality of breakfast was very good, a great selection of cooked and continental style available.

The hotel itself was in a great location. We walked from Holborn tube on arrival, only about 5 minutes. We were 10 mins or so from Covent Garden and 15/20 mins from Buckingham Palace. We walked everywhere even to Knightsbridge.

I would definitely stay here again, only this time I would avoid the second floor.

Room Tip: We stayed on the executive floor level 2.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sargent0

Dear Guest,
Thank you for choosing The DoubleTree by Hilton London West End for your recent stay.
We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay with us overall, however I was sorry to learn you encountered airconditioning issues during your stay. Rest assured that we have immediately shared your review with our Maintenance team for them to ensure that our highest standards are always looked after.

We do hope to have the opportunity to improve your impressions and welcome you again in a near future.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 2 August 2014

after booking the Double Tree for my wifes surprise 50th birthday I was somewhat disappointed. I booked the room, breakfast and evening meal. After our evening meal we were to go to the theatre. The evening meal took so long we only managed to be able to have a main course each. The service was the slowest i have ever experienced, had we of had a starter, and a dessert we would of missed the start of the theatre. Extremely disappointed. To top it all they asked us for £70 for the meal that we had already paid for when we booked. A complete shambles.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
1  Thank Kenneth B

Dear Guest,
thank you fo sharing this valuable feedback with us. Rest assured the situations encountered are complete exceptions to our usual high standards and that every measure will be taken to prevent them in the future. I have already contacted you separately to address mentioned issues. Assuring you of my best attention at all times.

Kind Regards,