“Large well appointed room and a good value”

The Landmark London
Ranked #49 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Glastonbury
“Large well appointed room and a good value”
Reviewed 14 May 2011

Convenient to Paddington Station and well situated for central London business or site seeing, but a better value versus Mayfair.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (487)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 May 2011

We stayed for 3 nights at this hotel. We came away with the impression that this is a 3 star hotel inside a 5 star building, charging 5 star prices.

THE GOOD

Lovely grand building, in a convenient location right next to the tube station.
The rooms are a good size with great beds and bathrooms.

THE BAD

Service was very variable - at our first breakfast the waitress forgot to bring the items we had ordered in 2 separate instances. The doorman seemed to be absent from his post for much of the time and when he was there you had a random chance of him actually opening the door for you. But then some staff would surprise you with their efficiency and courtesy.
In the bathroom we were surprised to find cheap, harsh toilet paper. We also overheard other guests comment on this.
In the bedroom we were surprised that in a deluxe room we had a small 1980s style tube TV. Also very disappointing that there was no free bottled water at all - you were expected to pay £4.50 for 1/3 of a litre. Tip: go to M&S next door and buy water for a tiny fraction of the price. Another disappointment was having to pay £14.50 per day for wi-fi internet access.
There are no tea or coffee making facilities in the bedroom. Not a problem for me but I know many people who would feel this is wrong.
I don't mind paying high prices for high quality, but these money-grabbing tactics leave a nasty taste - at this level of hotel & price I expect these things to be given gratis. Another small indication of this general theme is in the writing pens - normally in a hotel of this calibre the pens are substantial, e.g. made of metal and decent quality. The ones at the Landmark are made of the nastiest flimsiest plastic and 2 of them broke on us.
Finally, finding a dead fly in a supposedly clean cereal bowl at breakfast was unpleasant.

OVERALL

I have been lucky enough to stay in many 5 star hotels in London and abroad so I know what is reasonable to expect. The Landmark fell short on many counts and I would suggest to any potential visitors that there is considerably better value to be had in other hotels in London.

Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Squiggle556
The_Landmark_London, Director of Marketing at The Landmark London, responded to this review, 13 May 2011
Dear Guest,

Firstly let me say how sorry I am that you found us so disappointing on your recent stay with us. As a Leading Hotel of the World and listed as one of the top hotels in London, your comments are very disappointing for us to read.

If I can address your points as best I can, we have two entrances to The Landmark and both are manned by door men, supported by concierge, one is covered on a 16 hour basis and the other on a 24 hour basis. I can only assume that during your stay with us, our doormen were assisting other guests.

I am interested to see your comments on the bathroom paper, we have recently changed suppliers and this is the first comment we have seen on a guest noticing the change, we are experimenting with recycled papers in the hotel generally as part of our commitment to Green Tourism and will keep note of your feedback as we continue with the trial, our intention is not to drop standards, but to find ways of reducing our carbon footprint, so thank you for your comment, we will continue to monitor other guest feedback that we receive.

Regarding our Televisions, we are in the process of changing all of our 300 bedrooms to 42 inch flat screens and have so far done over 200 of our bedrooms, I am sorry that you were in one of our rooms that were not already updated. We do offer a selection of many complimentary amenities to guests during their stay, from fruit, chocolates and flowers to Champagne. We also offer a wide selection of waters for our guests, some free and some paid for, I am sorry that you felt that we should be giving free bottled water to yourself during your stay with us. On WIFI charges, we offer complimentary wifi to all guests on a 24 Hour basis from our business centre.

We have been given outstanding comments by many guests in terms of value and service. As one of the only independent and family owned hotels in London we always endeavour to give our guests a very personalised service to ensure that they leave us wanting to come back time and time again. I hope that you will give us one more try and that you will visit us again when you are next visiting London,

Kind regards

Sally Beck
Director of Marketing
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 May 2011

I regularly enjoy visiting London and a big part of the "London" experience is sampling some of the best city hotels on offer. If you are reading this you shall want to know some home truths about this hotel I can honestly say there are very few negatives, so few I am struggling to think of any worthwhile to mention. This place is a home from home you will love it and in comparison to the Ritz or The Dorchester forget them please!!!. This is the most warm friendly and relaxed hotel I have had the pleasure to stay in, the staff are amazing I am hoping to enjoy another city break at this hotel soon. Service charge is not included and tipping only expected should you feel the level of service is upto it. Listen all hotels have their blips but the staff in this place have the correct ethos. If you decide to go I am sure you will enjoy.

Room Tip: Food is amazing, Service charge is not included
  • Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank PaulBelfast1980
Reviewed 28 April 2011

Liked the room. Liked the Amenities ....White Company. Didn't know that they made toiletries.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 April 2011

We came to London for Easter to visit our relations and stayed at the well located Landmark, right in front of Marylebone station. We had a great room with two double beds and a massive bathroom. The Winter Garden is a stunning location , great breakfast every morning and the kids loved the restaurant two twenty two, which has good selection of food and fantastic staff, very friendly.
We would really recommend the hotel as a great base for getting around London and so lovely to come back to in the evening, so romantic !

Room Tip: call the hotel and ask for an upgrade
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 April 2011

I stayed here for one night before heading off to another hotel just outside London to propose to my girlfriend. I hadn't told her we were staying at the hotel and her eyes lit up when she saw the place. The room was spotless, with a bottle of champagne waiting for us. We had dinner that night in the Winter Garden which was exceptional. We returned later to their bar and enjoyed some fantastic Mojitos. I cannot fault their service, the room or the whole experience we had staying there and would recommended it to anyone wanting a special night in London.

Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ajcable
London
Reviewed 13 April 2011

I stayed at the Landmark for the day before my wedding and wedding night. The room was very nice. What I was disappointed with was that I had requested a room with as much natural light as possible, yet the lighting in the room was still dull despite being an outside room - so much so that we had to have the curtains taken down for getting ready! What really dissapointed me though, is that I asked to be sent a kettle as I am partial to a herbal tea, and the staff told me that it would be a £10 charge to use it - what a con - you can buy them for a fiver! Now I am not a skinflint - but when you are paying over £300 a night for a room - this just feels like they are taking you for a ride. I let them know I was disappionted and the duty manager was meant to call me. I never heard back so when we were on our way out for my pre wedding meal I asked at reception - and had a bit of a disagreement with the said duty manager as I said it was ridiculous to charge customers for this on principle - and he went on about company policy etc. This went on for about 5/10 minutes - after which he said he would see what he could do - and on return from dinner there was a kettle in my room - but really it should never have come to me having to have it out with him. (BTW - if you do stay there - it is £25 if you want cups and tea bags!!).

We were very kindly given spa vouchers for the day after our wedding, we tried to change the appointments toearlier in the day so we could go after breakfast - but they were unable to change it which was understandlable however.....We had to check out, pay for car park - and drove to our wedding venue to collect bits - then came back to the Landmark - had to get the car parked again etc. We went to the spa - had the intro, filled forms, changed into robes etc - and waited. We were then told that our therapist was running an hour late as she had forgotten to put her watch forward. And were we okay to wait. We 'as we had a family meal to go to and packing for honeymoon to do - and things were tight timewise, so we had to leave - they said they would extend our voucher - but I explained to them that driving into London for a "relaxing" massage was to me a contraditction -and could we just have a refund - to which they were going to investigate - but no one has bothered to come back to me or return my call. We then had to get dressed and pay another extortionate fee for the car park!!

My dissapointment was not with the rooms or with the hotel, but with the service which I would not hace expected from a hotel which markets itself as one of the Leading Hotels of the World.

Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank KatieStaffs
The_Landmark_London, Manager at The Landmark London, responded to this review, 28 April 2011
Thank you for sharing your experiences with us and the team, I am so sorry that your stay with us was disappointing, our aim is always to exceed our guests expectation and I am sorry that for you, especially on the occasion of your wedding that we did not achieve this.

Having read your comments, I feel particularly disappointed about your time that was wasted in the Spa, due to our staff member being delayed. We would like to rectify this and would like to offer you and your husband another treatment at a more relaxed time, for you both to enjoy The Landmark as you should have done.

Please contact me directly at sally.beck@thelandmark.co.uk and I will look forward to helping you both make some happy memories of your time with us.

Sally Beck