“Perfect as always!”

The Landmark London
Ranked #52 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 23 May 2011

This was our third visit and all I can say is Perfect!

Thank you.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (3,023)

Reviewed 15 May 2011

We have stayed here a couple of times. The rooms are spacious, the bathroom is divine, and the personnel is fine. Lovely urroundings, and very quiet rooms. Real value for money! The only comment I have is the breakfast. For 25 pounds, I expect lovely variety in bread, yoghurts, teas and waters. That is not the case. I have had breakfast in many 5 star hotels (SOHO, MayFair, Park Plaza, four Seasons, Ritz), and I have never experienced such a poor quality breakfast. 25 pounds is a rip off!
The rooms are impeccable. So my tip: do not hesitate to book a room (because you get the best), but eat your breakfast somewhere else.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
The_Landmark_London, Manager at The Landmark London, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2011

Thank you so much for giving us 5 stars, we are delighted that you are recommending us but really sorry that you did not enjoy our breakfast. We have such a large array to cover all of our guest’s needs, from continental, full English, A la Carte as well as the Breakfast To Go from our Room Service, all differently priced. I am sorry that you did not find something that suited your needs.

Hopefully on your next visit, we will be able to offer you something that suits you better

Kind Regards
Sally Beck - Director of Marketing

Reviewed 14 May 2011

Convenient to Paddington Station and well situated for central London business or site seeing, but a better value versus Mayfair.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 May 2011

We stayed for 3 nights at this hotel. We came away with the impression that this is a 3 star hotel inside a 5 star building, charging 5 star prices.

THE GOOD

Lovely grand building, in a convenient location right next to the tube station.
The rooms are a good size with great beds and bathrooms.

THE BAD

Service was very variable - at our first breakfast the waitress forgot to bring the items we had ordered in 2 separate instances. The doorman seemed to be absent from his post for much of the time and when he was there you had a random chance of him actually opening the door for you. But then some staff would surprise you with their efficiency and courtesy.
In the bathroom we were surprised to find cheap, harsh toilet paper. We also overheard other guests comment on this.
In the bedroom we were surprised that in a deluxe room we had a small 1980s style tube TV. Also very disappointing that there was no free bottled water at all - you were expected to pay £4.50 for 1/3 of a litre. Tip: go to M&S next door and buy water for a tiny fraction of the price. Another disappointment was having to pay £14.50 per day for wi-fi internet access.
There are no tea or coffee making facilities in the bedroom. Not a problem for me but I know many people who would feel this is wrong.
I don't mind paying high prices for high quality, but these money-grabbing tactics leave a nasty taste - at this level of hotel & price I expect these things to be given gratis. Another small indication of this general theme is in the writing pens - normally in a hotel of this calibre the pens are substantial, e.g. made of metal and decent quality. The ones at the Landmark are made of the nastiest flimsiest plastic and 2 of them broke on us.
Finally, finding a dead fly in a supposedly clean cereal bowl at breakfast was unpleasant.

OVERALL

I have been lucky enough to stay in many 5 star hotels in London and abroad so I know what is reasonable to expect. The Landmark fell short on many counts and I would suggest to any potential visitors that there is considerably better value to be had in other hotels in London.

Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Squiggle556
The_Landmark_London, Director of Marketing at The Landmark London, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2011

Dear Guest,

Firstly let me say how sorry I am that you found us so disappointing on your recent stay with us. As a Leading Hotel of the World and listed as one of the top hotels in London, your comments are very disappointing for us to read.

If I can address your points as best I can, we have two entrances to The Landmark and both are manned by door men, supported by concierge, one is covered on a 16 hour basis and the other on a 24 hour basis. I can only assume that during your stay with us, our doormen were assisting other guests.

I am interested to see your comments on the bathroom paper, we have recently changed suppliers and this is the first comment we have seen on a guest noticing the change, we are experimenting with recycled papers in the hotel generally as part of our commitment to Green Tourism and will keep note of your feedback as we continue with the trial, our intention is not to drop standards, but to find ways of reducing our carbon footprint, so thank you for your comment, we will continue to monitor other guest feedback that we receive.

Regarding our Televisions, we are in the process of changing all of our 300 bedrooms to 42 inch flat screens and have so far done over 200 of our bedrooms, I am sorry that you were in one of our rooms that were not already updated. We do offer a selection of many complimentary amenities to guests during their stay, from fruit, chocolates and flowers to Champagne. We also offer a wide selection of waters for our guests, some free and some paid for, I am sorry that you felt that we should be giving free bottled water to yourself during your stay with us. On WIFI charges, we offer complimentary wifi to all guests on a 24 Hour basis from our business centre.

We have been given outstanding comments by many guests in terms of value and service. As one of the only independent and family owned hotels in London we always endeavour to give our guests a very personalised service to ensure that they leave us wanting to come back time and time again. I hope that you will give us one more try and that you will visit us again when you are next visiting London,

Kind regards

Sally Beck
Director of Marketing

Reviewed 5 May 2011

I regularly enjoy visiting London and a big part of the "London" experience is sampling some of the best city hotels on offer. If you are reading this you shall want to know some home truths about this hotel I can honestly say there are very few negatives, so few I am struggling to think of any worthwhile to mention. This place is a home from home you will love it and in comparison to the Ritz or The Dorchester forget them please!!!. This is the most warm friendly and relaxed hotel I have had the pleasure to stay in, the staff are amazing I am hoping to enjoy another city break at this hotel soon. Service charge is not included and tipping only expected should you feel the level of service is upto it. Listen all hotels have their blips but the staff in this place have the correct ethos. If you decide to go I am sure you will enjoy.

Room Tip: Food is amazing, Service charge is not included
  • Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank PaulBelfast1980
Reviewed 28 April 2011

Liked the room. Liked the Amenities ....White Company. Didn't know that they made toiletries.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 April 2011

We came to London for Easter to visit our relations and stayed at the well located Landmark, right in front of Marylebone station. We had a great room with two double beds and a massive bathroom. The Winter Garden is a stunning location , great breakfast every morning and the kids loved the restaurant two twenty two, which has good selection of food and fantastic staff, very friendly.
We would really recommend the hotel as a great base for getting around London and so lovely to come back to in the evening, so romantic !

Room Tip: call the hotel and ask for an upgrade
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family