“Not Friendly” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #48 of 1,087 Hotels in London
Hernando, Florida
“Not Friendly”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2011

We ended our trip in Europe at The Landmark. We walked from Paddington Station to the front door which was under construction. We saw no signs with any direction. We walked ALL the way around the building to the back door with Bellman, who pointed to go straight... After going straight we saw no one... after turning around we finally saw another person who again "just pointed" & said go that way. This is a very large hotel. We finally made it to the front desk. We were checked in by a "training" receptionist. She was not friendly & could not make any suggestions on nearby restaurants, etc. we even asked about a taxi for departure & She went & asked conceierge & said just go out the back door, walk across the street to tube & you will see taxi stand. The location is away from everything you will want to visit on your trip. Other than that it is a beautiful hotel. That's about it! Stayed at The Rubens at beginning of our trip, wish we hadn't already booked this.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Judy B
The_Landmark_London, Director of Marketing at The Landmark London, responded to this review, 20 September 2011
I am so sorry that you had a poor experience with us. We have indeed just renovated our flag stones at our Marylebone entrance. During this work we were using a temporary entrance on Marylebone Road as well as our North Entrance opposite the station and taxi rank.

To assist our guests, we always try to use human signage and encourage our staff not to point but to escort our guests to their destination. I am so sorry that during your stay with us you did not have this experience and in fact had the opposite, I am hoping that our staff were escorting other guests at the time of your arrival, but obviously can not be at all sure.

So many of our guests love our location, being in a slightly quieter, residential area of Marylebone, yet with tubes and taxis on hand and a pleasant area for walking. I am sorry that our team did not share with you the secret gems we have on our doorstep, which may have made all of the difference to your stay with us.

If you were visiting London again, I would love to share with you the glories of our location and hope that you may think of us on your next visit.

I hope the rest if your stay in London was wonderful and that you will choose to come back to the UK and hopefully The Landmark in the future

Kind Regards

Sally Beck
Director of Marketing

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (471)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Brooklyn, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2011

From our arrival to our departure this Hotel was amazing. The staff were friendly, helpful & made you feel welcomed. The accommodations were great- room decor, shower and bath were all first class. The Hotel was restored to it's brilliant opulence and it was so enjoyable to just lounge around- not that we ever had that much time! Afternoon tea is a must! Though expensive (even by this NY'ers standards) it was still well worth it; truly a memorable experience. The Hotel is directly across from the Marylebone Tube Station which made travel very convenient. For breakfast we enjoyed this place across the street from the back of the hotel- the name of which escapes me, but very reasonably priced. (caution-their bacon is not like ours!) Overall quite a wonderful vacation.

Room Tip: We were in a room which directly overlooked the atrium- nice location
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Executive_Office222, Manager at The Landmark London, responded to this review, 7 October 2011
We were delighted to read your very kind comments and equally thrilled we contributed to a wonderful vacation and created some memorable experiences for you. Thank you from all the staff at The Landmark for your very kind feedback
Douglas Glen
Hotel Manager
Tel Aviv, Israel
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2011

i was going to London and made up my mind" i am not staying in tiny rooms" as so many hotels are. so i reserved at the landmark. it is not cheap at all but i was thinking the rooms are roomy and the are~
however the staff is really treating the guests (ok, me) as someone who was born yesterday or never traveled before.
i called the hotel before leaving the usa and asked for early check in "lady we will do our best"
then i arrived dead tired after a red eyed flight and long lines at the airport. at 11 am they then informed me that its not possible and i need to wait they tried but can't give me a room now. they will "keep my luggage gladly" really? how sweet you are i wanted to say. went to have 12 dollars tea and waited as they said 30 min. i had my tea and came back "sorry not ready yet" ok by now i am not smiling i went to seat again at the lobby and came back after 30 min. nope no room she said with English smile of fake apology (i am a ware its not just English. smiling) then she informed me that if i had paid for the night before i will get the room. how smart of her to point such "unknown fact". i got the room 2 hours later and she pointed to me that i still got it 2 hours "before".
the room was grand and the bathroom were huge with full bath and full shower. the decor was elegant. 22 dolllars wifi, the view was none. and some of the room elements were tires like my sheers at the window was torn. not too classy i will say.
then the best was the doorman's that will stood outside in both entrance and will not help you with the doors which are heavy. time and time again as if i didn't seem to be the kind of a guest who were needed to bothered for.
the concierge gave me a dirty look when i asked for a map and didn't tip him. heloooo your job is to help and get tip for great service a map is not great service! beside i really think that when its comes to old style hotels tips are getting to be such a demanding ways.
on the day before my departure the hotel was more like a zoo and the wonderful element of chic was gone.
i liked one person in the front guest the one who checked me out. her name was Camilla, or maybe it was just because i was happy to leave an old stuffed up establishment that did not stay thru to their core being which is "guests are your paycheck"!
if the hotel will be on 80% i will stay here again other wise i was looking at other hotels and taken notes of where i will stay next time.
i did get some sunshine in london so i am lucky after all ...smiling

Room Tip: ask for the family room.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank navawritz
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2011

I was here for a week this past month. Overall the accomodations and service were excellent. The staff was polite, thoughtful, and attentive. The rooms were very nice (and quite large by London standards). The atrium is wonderful and the meeting rooms were quite nice.

The only negatives were the price (even by London standards - ouch) and the location. It is wonderful to have the Marleybone station across the street but the hotel is a bit out of the way (unless of course your visitt focuses on Marleybone). Some wonderful parks within an easy walk but most of the sights, dining, and nightlife required more logistics than I would ideally prefer at this price point.

Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
Bellevue, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2011

The very historic Landmark London was terrific. Across the street from Marlybone Train Station (but very quiet). Had a lovely large well-appointed room. Walkable to tour buses. We found a remarkable rate for what was posted as a $500 room.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2011

I had an absolutely perfect stay at the Landmark. The hotel is very elegant and although some reviewers wrote that it is expensive, it is a good value and not as expensive as many hotels of its caliber in London. I was on my own but the staff went out of its way to make me feel welcome. Although the facility is quite large, the staff was so warm that I felt like I was staying at a cozy boutique hotel. I would definitely stay at the Landmark again; they get everything right. I also loved getting to know Maylebone, which is a very nice and convenient neighborhood.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
      Sleep Quality
      Cleanliness
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2011

My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Landmark. This is an elegant and immaculately maintained hotel with first class service.

Our standard room was very comfortable with a very large marble bathroom and excellent ammenities particularly the The White Company soap products and the large bath towels.

The combination of both a shower stall and bath tub is excellent. The shower features a nice strong water pressure which was very invigorating.

There are many nice touches including a lighted closet that illuminates when the doors are opened, bedroom slippers, a large umbrella which came in handy and a very large flat screen television.

The bed and pillows were extraordinarily comfortable like sleeping on a cloud. From the soothing bamboo styled wall papered hallways to the soft carpeting everything about this hotel emphasized comfort.

We found the complementary internet in a small room adjacent to the lobby to be very helpful for checking emails and information.

The service staff at the Landmark are very courteous from the door men and women to the front desk and the concierge. I was very impressed that the concierge called me by name when I phoned down with a question or request. On numerous occasions I found the hotel concierge to provide excellent assistance in planning the various tube routes for the day's sightseeing adventures.

Each time we arrived at the Landmark we were greeted with warm hello's by the staff as they hoisted open the doors for us and welcomed us home.

Customer service in general seems to be disappearing across the globe but, not so at the Landmark London. Upon returning from a day of rain soaked sighseeing a door woman kindly replaced my wife's drenched hotel umbrella with a dry one. This type of treatment is very much appreciated and shows that the Landmark is prepared to go the extra mile for their customers.

This truly splendid and beautifully cared for hotel is quite breathtaking and really uplifts the spirits as you marvel at its majestic stairways, grand halls and that wow factor atrium that booms with light. In fact the main atrium area with its faux palm trees has a very resort like feel which further enhances the sublime air of relaxation and contentment.

We eperienced one lone mishap during our stay but, the problem was resolved quickly. Our shower overflowed due to a blocked drain. While we were out a staff plumber fixed the problem and later in the day a hotel representative rang our doorbell to make sure we were satisfied.

My only criticism is there should be at least one restaurant that offers a reasonably priced or light supper option. The Gazebo was undergoing refurbishment and ordinarily would fill that void. The breakfast buffet was very grand and rather pricey. There are many options nearby however.

You can't beat the location directly across the street from the Marylebone Train Station and just two blocks from the Baker Street tube. There are also many great restaurants and shops on nearby Baker and Marylebone High Street.

For sheer luxury, convenience, top drawer friendly service and soothing comfort the Landmark London has won us over and we look forward to returning there in the very near future.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family