“Lovely hotel but recently poor customer service”

The Landmark London
Ranked #50 of 1,089 Hotels in London
West Lothian, United Kingdom
“Lovely hotel but recently poor customer service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2011

We have stayed at this hotel on around 5 or 6 occasions. In April we (2 adults and 2 children) were allocated a room where clearly the previous guest had been smoking and they had simply tried to mask it with airfreshener. Drew it to the attention of houseeeping but nothing happened despite them saying they would send someone to the room. The stench was still so bad the following day that they tried to use some sort of defumegator but that didn't work. We filled out the comments card and asked for the matter to be drawn to the attention of the duty manager. Did we get any feedback? No - what's the point in a feedback card if they don't follow it up. Also the standard of the breakfast midweek is poor - the food had been lying about far too long and was hard and cold. For £30 a head you expect better. They really need to pull their socks up to justify their 5 star staus. just hope that you don't have anything to complain about because they don't deal with criticism well.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Iain N
Executive_Office222, Manager at The Landmark London, responded to this review, 10 October 2011
Thank you for your feedback following your stay and I am sorry that we did not rectify this matter for you quicker. We should have and I am sorry that we let you down. Customer complaints are taken very seriously and where possible we will rectify the situation immediatley.I do hope we can welcome you back and would be grateful if you would contact me personally to ensure everything is arranged to your satisfaction.
Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (473)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2011

I can't get over the petty, negative comments about this hotel I've read on here when I had my fourth great stay in this hotel just recently. NO negative situations happened with my friend and I during our stay. I managed to get an amazing deal via Lastminute.com. Not saying how much we paid, but it was half of what rooms usually cost here and that ISN'T during busy times! I was astonished at how lucky I was to get such a good room rate.
I first stayed here when it used to be called The Regent back in 1994 and it still has the most spacious guest rooms in any hotel I've stayed in in central London. I can't understand how people would complain that staff don't offer good service, when I've NEVER had any issues here and staff have always been polite and attended to our needs. The front desk girl who checked me in was very speedy and friendly. I was offered to have my bag taken to the back door to the train station entrance/exit right away when I left, too and the housekeeping staff brought extra toiletries to the room when I requested them. The conceirge staff knew the local area public transport info really well and were helpful. I needed to know about buses to Camden Town and it was a strike of luck that we got a night bus from Camden, from right outside the venue we were at and it stopped just across the road from the hotel, so no extra taxi costs!
I can agree with some people who have said that charging extra for hotel residents to use the pool and spa facilities isn't fair, because it is an extra £15. I still used it all, because I had a good room rate package, but I would be reluctant to pay any extras if I'd paid something like £250+ to stay here in the first place and wi-fi should never be an extra charge. I hate it when hotels charge extra to use your laptop. I have to admit that the swimming pool is a great size and it's peaceful and very relaxing in the spa area. There is a steam room in both the women and men's changing rooms, unisex sauna and large jacuzzi by the pool. Complimentary fresh fruit and juices are in the relaxation room.
One thing I did put to the hotel staff during my last stay here in 2008 was that the rooms needed to have tea and coffee making facilities and they still don't have this. Even Travel Lodge hotels have free tea and coffee and you would expect this in a luxury hotel. I brought a small travel kettle and my own coffees, but that is because I knew the hotel doesn't provide it in the rooms. Not everyone is going to know this.
The rooms at The Landmark are indeed amongst the biggest in any London hotel. I got a basic double room, but the bed was big enough for me and my friend to share easily. Bathroom a bit small compared to the huge twin room I'd stayed in back in 2008, but it was well equipped. I've never actually used the restaurant or bars here, so can't comment, but I was told that the afternoon teas are very good, but breakfast is very expensive. Luckily there is a Marks & Spencer Foods shop just across the road by Marylebone train station and it's open until late at night (I'm it's open until 11.30pm). There is also a coffee shop inside the station.
No matter what anyone else says, this is a FABULOUS hotel with old style luxury charm in a very good location and I'll definitely be back again.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
County Clare, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2011

Hotel building is good but the staff sadly let it down. Have written 3 times with complaints to manager and not one reply. Check in was poor, room not ready and they telephoned my home number to advise that room was ready later! Service at breakfast was very slow and staff were impolite and not very friendly or helpful. We were also on a B&B package and they wrote to me after leaving to say they had charged my credit card for breakfast because it was omitted from the check out bill. Reading other reviews this is obviosly a favourite trick of the staff. Also when checking out they could not even arrange for cases to be moved to the back door by the station. Room was not serviced properly with dirty glasses left in the room and no turndown service on both nights in the hotel. We dined at The Ritz on Saturday night and they know how to treat guests, suggest the Landmark staff ask them for some training. Charging for use of swimming pool and wifi is outrageous. We will not be returning to this hotel and would rate it as the poorest Leading Hotels of the World we have stayed in worldwide.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Durtynellies
Executive_Office222, Manager at The Landmark London, responded to this review, 6 October 2011
Thank you very much for taking the time and trouble to share your experience with us. Firstly I would like to extend my sincere apologies for this and ,in particular, the overall feeling of dissatisfaction which you encountered. I have checked our correspondence and have found no previous written complaints from you, however, we clearly do not want you to remember the Landmark with such a poor impression. I would be most grateful if you could contact me personally in order to resolve the matter to your complete satisfaction and I do look forward to hearing from you.
Wigan, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2011

Stopped at this hotel for a couple of nights on our return from Paris, upgraded to an excellent room on 6th floor, large, spacious and luxurious.
Bar & restaurant prices a little on the high side though !

• Stayed September 2011
Executive_Office222, Manager at The Landmark London, responded to this review, 7 October 2011
Thank you very much for your feedback and we are delighted to learn you enjoyed our spacious rooms. I do look forward to persoanlly welcoming you back in the near future
Berlin, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2011

Good business hotel that I do enjoy coming back to. Staff are very friendly and helpful and I usually receive an upgrade through the Leaders' Club programme of LHW. Location is ok but not perfect. Windows can only be opened if hotel staff open them (and again to shut them) which is a bit annoying. Rooms are still nice but are starting to fade a bit, same applies to the hallways. The public areas, in particular the palm court, are very beautiful though.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
Marseille
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2011

We are just returning from a three-night stay at the Landmark hotel. Before we checked out, I would have had only praises for this hotel. The location is good, Marylebone is a nice area and the proximity of subway stations enable to go rapidly everywhere in London.
We benefited of an upgrade and got a quiet junior suite in a pristine condition facing a little street off Marylebone street. The room was comfortable and elegantly decorated with 2 large screen flat TVs, a Nexpresso machine and an IPod/IPhone dock. In addition, we had a very large bathroom with separate bath and shower.
The buffet breakfast, supposedly included in the room rate, served in the atrium was excellent.
Our stay had been really excellent until checkout. I cannot understand how a hotel who had, when we checked in, all the correct information about our stay (room rate, items included such as breakfasts or internet access) can present a bill including what was supposedly "included". It took three times to get a correct bill. There is also another disputable practice consisting in charging 100 pounds a day to cover possible expenses at the time of checking in. This the first time that this is happening to us in a Leading Hotel of the World.
In summary, it is too bad that a quasi-perfect stay ended in such a way.

Room Tip: I suppose that all rooms facing Harewood avenue are quiet.