“My favourite London Hotel”

The Landmark London
Ranked #49 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Swindon, United Kingdom
“My favourite London Hotel”
Reviewed 10 June 2013

This was our second stay at the Landmark London. We came this time for our 1st wedding anniversary and as before the hotel was beyond our expectations.
Check in was quick, friendly and efficient. Our room was lovely, plenty of space, a seating area and a large bathroom, very clean and comfortable. The mattress was very comfortable and we slept well. The room was also quiet.
We had room service breakfast which came with a table, table cloth and was just like a mini private restaurant in our room. I am vegetarian and was really pleased to have the option of a cooked vegetarian breakfast with soya milk too, its great that vegetarians/vegans are also well catered for. I expected to have a tea bag in my breakfast tea and was really pleased that it was loose tea, which was an excellent touch. Breakfast was lovely.
This hotel is my favourite hotel in London, we have stayed in a few 5 * hotels in London and this is by far the best. I cannot say anything bad about this hotel, they do an excellent job of looking after their guests and the staff are friendly and efficient and a real credit to the hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
The_Landmark_London, Manager at The Landmark London, responded to this review, 12 June 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on this website.

Needless to say I am delighted that both you and your partner had such a wonderful stay with us. I am so pleased that on both occasions, we have exceeded your expectations, and that our team were able to make your time with us that bit more special.

It is always a pleasure to receive such positive comments from our guests, and I will happily share them with our teams.

I do hope that we will soon have the opportunity to welcome you back to your home away from home, for another memorable experience.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (487)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 9 June 2013

Beautiful hotel. Good representation of what England is about in an elegant almost luxury place. The hotel is very nicely decorated, including the rooms. Big rooms compared to average European standards. It is a hotel you can enjoy. Bath tub, toilet room, shower room, great bed, sofa, freezer, everything really, they have umbrellas in the rooms that you can use, which is very convenient in England. A pub in the basement and good restaurant round it all up. Yes, you have to pay the price, but very nice!

Room Tip: Did not get to see other rooms so as to provide a good suggestion here.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
The_Landmark_London, Manager at The Landmark London, responded to this review, 10 June 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on this website.

I am very glad that you enjoyed your trip, and that your stay with us was indeed a memorable one. We do have some of the largest guest rooms in central London for our guests to enjoy, and I am glad to read that you were able to take advantage of this benefit of our hotel. I am also pleased to read that you were able to make good use of all the facilities we have to offer our guests.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Landmark London on your next visit to the city.

Northallerton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2013

Have utilised this hotel for many business lunches over the years.......never been disappointed. Wine list excellent and menu pleasing. Food well executed. Staff very helpful although on occasions a little slow and communication not always effective between staff. However it's still excellent and when I stayed as weekend shopping break in December I was most impressed. Staff very accommodating,food superb and facilities excellent. One criticism was that the Christmas tree was being erected and decorated during Sunday lunch......why? Surely this could have been done after dinner service therefore empty restaurant. Would have thought that the GM would have considered this.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of our hotel on this website.

I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us during the Christmas period, and that you found our team to be helpful and accommodating. Thank you for you comments about our food also – I will be happy to pass these on to our team of chefs.

I am sorry however if you felt that the Christmas tree decoration was intrusive during your meal. We do indeed carry out the majority of the work when the restaurant is least busy, in order to minimise disruption, however occasionally we need to make minor alterations, and I can only assume that on this occasion, this was the case. However I do very much appreciate your feedback, and will take this into consideration when we are going through this process again at the end of the year.

I do hope that we will be able to welcome you back to our hotel, indeed perhaps for another Christmas shopping break in our lovely city.

Hitchin
Reviewed 8 June 2013

I booked three rooms to celebrate my daughters 21st birthday. The hotel staff made our stay very special and couldn't do enough to make sure she had a fantastic time. Lovely rooms, and friendly and helpful staff. Would not hesitate recommending staying at the Landmark for a special time.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback following your recent stay with us.

I was so pleased to read that you and your family had a thoroughly enjoyable stay, and that our team were on hand to ensure your daughter’s special occasion was as wonderful as possible. I am always delighted when our guests choose to spend such moments with us, so thank you for choosing our hotel for this birthday. Please congratulate your daughter on this milestone birthday our behalf.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you and your family back to The Landmark London in the near future, perhaps for another celebration, or simply a relaxing overnight stay.

Marco Island, Fl
Reviewed 7 June 2013 via mobile

We loved our stay at The Landmark London...5 stars without the stuffiness. Pleasantly surprised with an upgrade, we stay at Leading Hotels of the World while traveling but do not always receive the upgrade. Breakfast was well done and staff very attentive. Concierge was extremely helpful and made our stay that much better! Walking distance from a great fish and chips spot called the Seashell especially when moving about all day sightseeing. Short and sweet but would definitely come back and stay at this comfortable, clean and cozy hotel.
We found the taxi drivers very friendly and well informed. A far cry from NYC. HA!

Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your review of our hotel on this website.

I am delighted that you had such an enjoyable stay with us, and that our team were able to contribute to a memorable visit to our city. I am very pleased that our Concierge team were able to recommend some local attractions, and that our breakfast offering exceeded your expectations.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity in the near future to welcome you back to The Landmark London, perhaps next time for a longer visit.

Peel, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 June 2013

I have stayed here many times - traveling with business.

It would be easy for me to give a review with a negative slant - as there are things that irritate me about the hotel (familiarity breeds contempt). However stepping back from that I'd have to say it is a good hotel.

In terms of price - the rack rates displayed at reception look extremely expensive. I get a much better price through a corporate discount. If I was paying the rack rate I would be saying it is far too expensive! I assume most people get some kind of deal or other and don't pay that.

The rooms are fairly big for london hotels. I would recommend the 'Executive' class room as being the best value for money - being a lot bigger/nicer than the standard/delux rooms - for just a modest increase in price.

Here are a few random things I like / dislike :

Like : Shoe shine service - you leave you shoes outside the room at night - and in the morning they have been cleaned and polished.

Dislike : There is no booze in the minibar - just soft drinks.

Like : The staff are very professional and helpful

Dislike : The buttons to control the lights in the room are confusing and annoying - eg you always seem to have to get out of bed to turn off the final light - the buttons by the bed never do them all

Like : You can leave a bag with them - sometimes I've left a bag there for a couple of weeks between visits and they were happy to accommodate this.

Dislike : The in room movies are poor low definition versions. The range of films doesn't change very often.

Like : The bathrooms are large and have large showers and separate baths.

Dislike : The breakfast in the restaurant is expensive and service can be slow.

Like : They have sorted out the wifi in the last couple of years - it used to be poor at times - but seems much better now. Generally you get decent bandwidth.

Dislike : The wifi requires a username and password which is specific to each guest. The system for allocating these is a bit confusing. Often you get that from reception on checkin - but later in the stay you have to call to get another.

Like : The gym and pool facilities are very good - and apparently there is a good spa if thats your thing.

Dislike : The remote controls for the TV in the room is so annoying. If often doesn't respond to you pressing the buttons - so you end up trying to find the optimal angle for it - stabbing at the buttons to try to get a response - at which point it wakes up and does 10 things in a row.

Like : Rooms / bathrooms have always been spotlessly clean in my experience

Dislike : The room service food is pretty good quality - but they haven't changed the menu in years and I am bored senseless with it. Also its quite expensive.

Like : The public areas all look quite grand - eg the central restaurant area is quite impressive

Dislike : Service in the downstairs bar can be really slow when its busy. A couple of times I've seen people walk out after waiting too long.

Like : On the other hand the mirror bar has great service (but is really expensive!).

Overall - I would recommend it as a place to stay - as long as you aren't paying the rack rate!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for posting your detailed review of our hotel on this website.

I am pleased to read that, despite some concerns, you are generally very comfortable in our hotel, and that we are able to make this your home away from home when you are with us.

As a regular guest, we do value your feedback greatly, and I do hope that you receive the recognition you deserve when you are here. I would very much welcome the opportunity to discuss your concerns with you, so that we may be able to address these for your future visits. I would like for you to feel as happy as possible with our facilities, so that each and every stay can be a memorable one.

If you have a few moments, I would be grateful if you could email at: Hotel.Manager@thelandmark.co.uk, with any issues or concerns you may have. If there is anything else we can extend to you during your stay, please do also let me know. I would also be happy to discuss these over the phone should this be more convenient for you.

I very much look forward to hearing from you.

Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed 3 June 2013

Beautiful hotel in a fantastic location, but I left off a star because I honestly felt that we should have gotten better service for the money.

Don't get me wrong -- the hotel is, as everyone says, GORGEOUS. And in a very convenient location to get around, which is important to me. The rooms were elegant, comfy, and clean, and truly left nothing to be desired. The concierge service was friendly and efficient. Breakfast and afternoon tea were expensive yet absolutely delicious - any other food I ate during my stay there was just so-so.

However, there were a few incidences in which the service was definitely lackluster. For example, when I went to meet my mother one day for breakfast when it was fairly crowded, the waitress was rude to me and tried to hustle me away. On another instance, someone in our group tried to call down for a pair of scissors to cut a tag off of a new dress, and the front desk refused to send someone up. They said we would have to come down and use the scissors downstairs if we needed to. I have stayed in crappy hotels in Cabo with third-rate service and even THEY sent up a lovely woman from housekeeping to come and let me borrow her scissors momentarily. For the pricetag on the rooms, I thought that was pretty ridiculous.

Again, not to discount The Landmark, as it really is a wonderful luxury hotel. I just expect a lot from a 5 star hotel -- My experience at The Westbury, in Dublin, for example, was far more pleasant.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
The_Landmark_London, Manager at The Landmark London, responded to this review, 4 June 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to share you feedback, following your recent stay.

Whilst I am pleased that you enjoyed the comfort and space of our guest rooms, and the overall luxury of our hotel, I am of course disappointed that on this occasion that the service received did not meet your expectations.

I am very pleased that our Concierge team were able to assist with any information you may have needed, however I can only apologise for the breakfast experience you have described. This is clearly not our usual standard, and I am deeply sorry if in any way you felt that the team were impolite. This is of course unacceptable, so please be assured that I have addressed this matter with the relevant departmental manager, who will take the appropriate action.

I am also sorry for the incident surrounding the scissors. We will carry out the necessary retraining with the teams involved, however I quite agree that this was a simple request that could have been handled definitely. Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused.

I do hope that we will have another chance to welcome you back to our hotel, and prove to you the high standards of service our guests have come to expect from us.