“Regular guest, is what it is but there are better”

The Landmark London
Ranked #47 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“Regular guest, is what it is but there are better”
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Probably done over 40 nights here and it is a sound 5* hotel close to Marylebone and straight off the A40 with parking. An imposing entrance, reasonable rooms, a decent bar/bistro downstairs and nice pool. However, the service has been found very wanting at times, particularly in the Winter Garden where I would go so far as to say the staff are dismissive which is very odd as this is not exactly a high-brow venue...

Anyway, you'll get a good rate, reasonable room and will get fed. It won't be in the league of the big players but, then again, it should not be purporting to be.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
The_Landmark_London, Manager at The Landmark London, responded to this review, 4 November 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on this website, following your most recent stay.

Whilst I am pleased that, in general, you do enjoy your stays with us, I was disheartened to learn that as a regular guest, your experiences with us are not always as you would expect. I would like to take this opportunity to apologise for any inconvenience caused by the shortfalls in service experienced.

I would very much welcome the opportunity to learn what more we could do to make your time with us more memorable, and would be delighted if you would like to get in touch to discuss further. I can be reached at Hotel.Manager@thelandmark.co.uk

I do hope to hear from you soon, and indeed we look forward to welcoming you back for your next visit.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (498)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
NC
Reviewed 22 October 2013

We stayed here with a tour group. Our extra night before the tour was good, but "wow" on the price.
The room was large with a comfortable bed and two comfortable chairs. The bathroom was lovely marble and had all the extras you would expect. However the room had one narrow window that looked out into the atrium. Because we were on the second floor and there was a wide balcony at that level we could not see the atrium. We could only look out and see other windows and up to the glass roof. I missed natural light and being able to see the sky outside.
The breakfast was extraordinary with most every food, juice and bread available. The coffee came in your own french-press pot which I loved!
The location is good. Not many restaurants close by, but there is a train station across the street.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
The_Landmark_London, Manager at The Landmark London, responded to this review, 27 October 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of our hotel on this site.

I was pleased to read that overall you enjoyed your stay with us, and indeed that you enjoyed the comfort and luxury of your spacious guest room. In particular, I was delighted that you enjoyed our sumptuous breakfast in the specular setting of our Winter Garden, and in addition that you found our location to be convenient.

I was sorry to read that our prices did not meet your expectations – we do regularly check our prices to ensure we are in line with other 5 star hotels in the city, and find ourselves always to be competitive. However, we take on board your comments, and thank you for taking the time to share them with us.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Landmark London on your next visit to our city.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 22 October 2013

I recommend everyone to try it out, I recommend everybody to try it out, because once you do it'll be the hotel you'll ever stay in, in London. I stayed for my honeymoon and it was my first time staying there, they really know how to make every occasion special.

• Stayed October 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback, following your recent stay.

Firstly, please allow me to offer our congratulations on your recent wedding. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us so much, and that our team were able to make your special occasion that bit more memorable. It is genuinely a pleasure for us when our guests choose to stay here for any type of special celebration, and I am personally delighted that we were able to contribute to such a wonderful honeymoon experience.

I do hope that we will soon have the pleasure of welcoming you both back to The Landmark London, for another unforgettable stay.

Liverpool
Reviewed 21 October 2013

I was really hoping to give this hotel a five star rating but it fell short on one of the important aspects of any stay in a hotel. I was over-charged - twice.

When checking out I accept full responsibility in that I should have had my glasses and read through the bill carefully - I recommend this to anyone staying anywhere.

After I had settled the bill and was still at reception I noticed that I had been charged for something from the private in-room bar that I had not taken. This was resolved very quickly and a credit provided. However, when I got home I noticed that I had been charged £5.50 for a newspaper on two days when the actual cost should have been only £0.55. I emailed the hotel setting out the over-charge problem but my email went ignored. It is the ignoring of my email that is more irritating than the error as I take some responsibility for not checking the invoice when settling the bill.

The hotel itself is absolutely marvellous, the rooms are large, clean and comfortable. Public areas clean and spacious. The restaurant areas were very relaxing and very well set out. We paid for a Marylebone Studio and it was money well spent, with a separate room from the bedroom so you could treat it like your own living room. The bathroom was well set out and had a separate door for the toilet. The room was great. There was a TV in both the bedroom and the "living room" and it was the TV that helped reduce the star rating. The menu to change channels was ridiculous as you had to scroll down from the top every time you wanted to change channel. You couldn't just press say "5" for channel "5". The menu often froze and on one occasion it took seven minutes to change channel, which meant I missed and important part of a TV programme that I wished to watch. I should have reported it whilst at the hotel but didn't becasue I didn't want someone tinkering about in the room when we were trying to relax.

All staff, from reception to restaurant to room service were without exception friendly and courteous and always had a smiling welcome and hello for us. I should mention in particular Manu, who looked after us at breakfast. Five stars for the staff we met.

Food was excellent. We started on day one with afternoon tea (or in our case coffee). Nice fresh sandwiches and lovely chocolate delicacies and a glass of champagne. We were offered more sandwiches and coffeee or even an alternative of hot chocolate. Fabulous and good value compared to other hotels with similar offerings.

Breakfast was probably one of the lovliest eggs benedicts I have ever had so I had to have it again. A good variety of bread, pastries, meat, cheese and cakes. The cereal offering was a bit short with only three alternatives - but we coped! Some fresh yoghurt would have also been nice.

If it wasn't for ignoring the bill error and the TV problems I would have given the hotel five stars.

Room Tip: Look on the website to read through the room descriptions, for our room it was very accurate and jus...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our hotel on this website.
Whilst I was pleased to read that all our team members that you encountered during your stay were friendly and accommodating, I was disappointed to read that you experienced some issues during your time with us, and would like to take this opportunity to apologise for the inconvenience caused.

I was sorry to learn that you were charged incorrectly upon departure; however I was extremely concerned that you have not received an acknowledgement of your email. Please let me reassure you that this is in no way indicative of our usual high standard of service, and I would be grateful if you would be so kind as to resend the email directly to myself, so that I may see that it is taken care of. I can be contacted directly at: Hotel.Manager@thelandmark.co.uk

Please do accept my apologies for the inconvenience with the television. We would of course have been delighted to rectify this for you, however I do completely understand that you preferred not to have anyone in the room to do so. I am deeply sorry for any problems this may have caused.

Thank you once again for your feedback. I look forward to hearing from you regarding your unanswered email, and indeed do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Landmark London in the future, and restore your faith in us.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 20 October 2013

Very nice hotel in a great part of London but expensive. The rooms are nice but tired and the airconditioning was noisy in my room. Next to Marleybone Station and close to Paddington Station. Nice shopping in the High st area. Quick walk to Oxford and Regent street if you want department stores and crowds.Everything was ++ on the room rate so try to get breakfast or wifi included when you book. Otherwise very nice and very convenient.

Room Tip: Very close to Paddigton and plenty of nice local posh pubs to eat at close by
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
The_Landmark_London, Manager at The Landmark London, responded to this review, 24 October 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on this website.

I am pleased that you found our location to be so convenient for your time in London, and that all areas of the city you wished to visit were so accessible to you. I was sorry however to learn that you experienced some disturbance caused by the air conditioning in your guest room, and would like to offer my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused.

I am sorry if in any way we were unable to meet your expectations on this occasion. I do hope that we will soon have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Landmark London in the near future, and prove to you the high standards of service our valued guests have come to expect from us.

Hemel Hempstead, UK
Reviewed 19 October 2013

This is a lovely hotel; I've stayed here before, and even though the accommodation is excellent (I was upgraded to a junior suite) the hotel is missing something, and the only thing I can really think of is the location.

I have stayed in a large number of hotels in London and have stayed in many with low star ad high star ratings. This is most definitely a wonderful place. The courtyard still amazes me. I think though, if the hotel were between 1 and 2 miles further south it would be one of the best, most memorable and most used in the Capital.

The trouble with this place is it's not in the centre of town. Don't get me wrong, it is on top of Marylebone Train / tube station and a couple of minute walk to Baker Street and therefore on the Underground network and thus "close" to everything. Marylebone Road runs parallel to Oxford Street (albeit it a 15 to 20 minute walk) but Marylebone just isn't the right location to place a hotel as large, imposing and as deserving as this.

The hotel is next to Marylebone train station and close to Madame Tussauds and Marylebone High Street is quaint. But, I don't think people who are staying here stay here for these reasons....

Anyway, back to the hotel. As mentioned, I was upgraded and the room was fantastic (123). It had a big living area, large bedroom, huge bathroom, vanity area, couple of TVs and very comfortable bed. On slight drawback was the room faced inwards over the courtyard and being as it was on the first floor I'm fairly sure if I walked around without the curtains closed then someone could witness my every move. Also, because of the fact the room was on the first floor there was a bit of noise and echo coming in from the central meeting area.

The shower unit was a good size, the water pressure excellent and although not used, the bath looked like it would easily accommodate me (I'm 6' 3") and was deep too. The living room was very large and contained a very large TV and sofa as well as a desk with plenty of sockets (including international sockets) which is nice.

I stayed having attended a conference which included dinner in the ballroom. I have to admit the main course which was fillet of beef was one of the best mass catered meals I have ever eaten!

The staff I came in contact with were very good; courteous and polite. No worries from me.

I can't comment on the wifi cost as the conference provided it. In my humble opinion wifi should be free in a hotel of such standing...

Toiletries were of a high standing, the stay very good. If I were to stay again, I'd ask for a room higher up.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank SubaruDriver
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time nd effort to post your review of our hotel.

I was pleased to read that in general, you enjoyed your stay with us, and that our team were able to make your experience in London a memorable one. I am delighted that you enjoyed the luxury and comfort of your spacious guest room, and indeed that the conference you attended was not only successful, but also that the food was so well received.

I am sorry that on this occasion, you did not find our location to be as convenient as possible. I do hope that our team were able to assist with information regarding transport options, as indeed we are well located close to several underground and overland train stations, as well as plenty of bus stops, and a taxi rank directly outside the building.

Should you choose to return to us again, I would be delighted to ensure that your room is located on a higher floor as you mentioned. Please do feel free to contact me directly beforehand, at Hotel.Manager@thelandmark.co.uk

I do hope that indeed we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Landmark London.

Bushey, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 October 2013

My wife had organised for a friend and myself to go to The Landmark to celebrate the friend's 70th and my 65th. Service excellent, ambience excellent, tea selection excellent, food excellent. A thoroughly enjoyable experience that I would be happy to go to again

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
The_Landmark_London, Manager at The Landmark London, responded to this review, 21 October 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent visit with us.

I was delighted that you and your friend enjoyed our sumptuous Afternoon Tea, in the magnificent setting of our Winter Garden. I was particularly pleased that our team were able to make this experience a memorable one, and that you thoroughly enjoyed the wide range of delicacies on offer.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Landmark London, perhaps for another special celebration.