“gone down”

Ranked #50 of 1,088 Hotels in London
sao paulo
“gone down”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2014

Hotel need urgent refurbishment, staff attitude is not professional any more, i would say this is a 3 star grand hotel!! truly sad..noise in the corridors late in the evening, stained marble in the bathroom, and one night that hotel was practically left without any staff!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
The_Landmark_London, General Manager at The Landmark London, responded to this review, 3 February 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on this website.

I was extremely concerned, and immensely disappointed to read that you did not enjoy your time at our hotel, and that your experience clearly was not five star. I am deeply sorry that on this occasion, we were unable to meet your expectations, particularly with regards to the maintenance of our guest rooms, and indeed the number of team members on duty.

I would welcome the opportunity to learn more about your stay, and pass these on to our teams for further investigation. If you do have the time, I would be very grateful if you could email me directly at: Hotel.Manager@thelandmark.co.uk

In the meantime, please do accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Andrew Batchelor

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (473)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Bland, MO
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2014

2nd time there. Nice suite, wonderful bed. Good size room. Shower could have been bigger, no hand held sprayer. Quite chintzy with bathroom amenities. Check in prompt. Door staff very good. Excellent, but expensive ( not much of a shock in London) Sunday brunch, 80 pounds. Very disappointed at lack of hot buffet for breakfast week days. Charge silly things.. 2.50 for a paper never was told a charge.. removed from bill when complaigned, but took extra time for redot he bill then and delayed check out. 20 pounds for a room service charge... just to bring tray? Said was error and took it off, but still careless charge. Internet kept having to logged back into. If had been 1st time to London hotel, would have been very impressed. Very attractive facility. Needs some fine tuning.But having stayed at many, this is at best average for cost charged. I would not return, unless was some very special price.

1 Thank Don M
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback, following your recent stay.

Whilst I was naturally pleased to read that our team were able to provide a warm welcome to our hotel, and that they were on hand to assist with any requests, I was sorry to learn that overall, your stay did not live up to your expectations. I would like to take this opportunity to apologise for any inconvenience caused.

I was sorry to read about the lack of attention to detail you have described, and would like to thank you for bringing these to my attention. It is only through our guests’ honest and valuable comments that we are able to highlight any areas for development, and address them with the appropriate training.

Thank you once again for leaving your feedback on this website. I am deeply sorry for any shortfalls in service that may have been experienced, however I do hope that you will give us the opportunity in the future to welcome you back to The Landmark London, and indeed to restore your faith in us.

Como, Italy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2014

My family and I stayed at the Landmark hotel just after New Year's Eve.
We received an upgrade, thanks to our LHW membership, and the room they gave us was really nice.
The hotel staff was generally welcoming and kind; sometimes, however, they lacked in efficiency and common sense when charging extras, for example, during breakfast. My kids had two pancakes on top of their continental breakfast and we had to complain to get the full cooked breakfast extra fee taking off the bill.
We also asked for some theater tickets and the customer service desk only called an agency without going the extra mile, which one would expect in a 5 star hotel.
We enjoyed however the SPA very much. Staff was extremely kind and the environment very relaxing after days full of walking, shopping and museum visits.
Location was ideal as close to both tube and Marylebone train station, good attractions and shopping area nearby.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
The_Landmark_London, General Manager at The Landmark London, responded to this review, 28 January 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on this website.

Whilst I was glad to read that you found our team to be welcoming, I was sorry to learn that you experienced some shortfalls in service, and I would like to take this opportunity to apologise for any inconvenience caused.

We value all our guests’ thoughts on their experience, as they allow us to monitor and continuously improve the service we are providing. I would like to assure you that your feedback has been passed on to our teams for their investigation, and any relevant retraining will of course take place.

I am glad that you found our location to be so convenient for your time with us, and that our Health Club & Spa team were able to create such a wonderful experience for you.

I do hope that we will soon have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Landmark London.

Bath, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2014

We have only just got back from two nights stay Wednesday 22nd January 2014 too Friday 25th January 2014 in this fantastic hotel. We upgraded to a corner executive room- was worth ever penny! WOW The room was the BIGGEST we have ever stayed in London and have stayed in most. Just beautiful!!

All I can say is for two days we experienced pure luxury. we didn't need to leave the hotel! (So we didn't) and this was not the plan.....On my birthday morning we had breakfast delivered to our room the food was fantastic to the eggs Benedict to the pastries. The spa was gorgeous and had a fantastic massage from Jessica. The staff in this hotel were fantastic everyone who we encountered were friendly, professional and very very accommodating.
We ate in both 2twenty2 which was "delish" and the best espresso martini ever! & the winter garden in the evening on our second night FANTASTIC we went for the tasting menu with wine pairing and of my gosh what a treat every course was sumptuous and beautifully presented our waiter who I think was called julien? Was lovely attentive and very knowledgable on every wine and process. The pianist played beautiful really making the ambience. JUST PERFECTION
The mirror bar cocktails were great and waiter happy to produce drinks that were not on the menu.
The building is beautiful, facilities top notch, choices great and staff lovely.
The only thing I can critise was there was no air in room even though our suite was big it sometimes felt a little stuff as just the option of air con, I do like a window open a jar and all shuttered were locked, I do realise for health & safety hotels have restrictions on windows but even to open an inch would have made it airier and missed the sound of the traffic. Just a small point.

To conclude I would like to thank all the staff for a fantastic luxurious stay, we really relaxed and were treated like VIPs . This hotel is the place to stay in London we have stayed in most and this is the best by far 5* luxury and opulence without the pretence and arrogance. WE WILL BE BACK!!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on this website, following your recent two night stay.

It is not only a pleasure to learn when our guests choose to stay with us for their special occasions, but more so that our team were able to make these celebrations so memorable. It was a delight to read your kind words about our Health Club, twotwentytwo, Winter Garden and Mirror Bar, and indeed it will be my pleasure to share your comments with our team members mentioned.

Thank you for your feedback regarding the windows in your guest room – we do appreciate that some guests like to have fresh air in their rooms, and therefore we can indeed open the majority of the street facing windows upon our guests’ request. However, I am sorry if this was not communicated properly to you during your time with us.

I am delighted to read that you will soon be back to stay with us, and I very much look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you to your home away from home.

Melbourne Victoria
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2014

We spent almost a week with The Landmark as our London base. Slightly faded and a little worn at the edges, it is still easy to see why this was the place for the beautiful people to hang out a decade or more ago (we noted that one of the Oasis Gallagher's celebrated his wedding reception there). It is still happening there, although a lot of the action seemed to revolve around enormous and bejewelled Indian weddings in the sumptuous function rooms! As an Australian, I find all British hotels mediocre: I don't want to stand in a bath to shower, I don't want a floppy shower curtain; I want proper tea making facilities, a good iron and a good hair dryer: the landmark had none of these really, but that is par for the course even at five star, it would seem.
Despite all this, the place has many things to love:
The location is, of course, wonderful - directly opposite Marylebone Station you are at the gateway to all you could want.
The service is outstanding and responsive (except on check in which took half an hour).
The room service is really excellent.
The breakfast buffet is incredibly costly but incredibly good.
The house tea blend is OUT OF THIS WORLD.
The rooms, for central London, are huge and very quiet.
The beds are comfortable.
The historic building really is quite beautiful and wonderful.
We came to be very fond of The Landmark - a special little piece of the fading Empire.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback, following your recent stay.

I was pleased to read that, in general, you enjoyed your time with us and in particular that our team were able to contribute to an enjoyable experience.

I was, however, concerned to read that you did not find tea and coffee making facilities within your room, as these can be found in all our guest rooms as standard. I was sorry to read that you did not find our irons or hairdryers to be to your liking, and would like to ensure you that we take this feedback on board.

On the other hand, it was a pleasure to read that you enjoyed our spectacular building so much – we are indeed very proud of it. I am glad that you enjoyed our sumptuous breakfast also.

I do hope that we will soon have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Landmark London, for what I am sure will be another fabulous stay.

Sarasota, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2014 via mobile

The new General Manager has now had time to settle in and consequently the hotel has returned to its truly deserved 5 Star status. Location is perfect for Rail, Bus or Tube and there are several stores and eating venues within moments walk. The rooms are spacious and well equipped (yes I am sure refurbishment is in the hotel's future plans) and the staff are all both professional and friendly including the very welcoming Doormen. A pleasure to stay there.

Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on this website, following your recent stay.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your time with us so much, and that your experience was so memorable. I was pleased to read that you found our location to be convenient for your time with us, and indeed that you were impressed by our comfortable and spacious guest rooms.

Moreover, it was a pleasure to read that our team, and in particular our doormen, were able to make you feel so comfortable, and provide a warm welcome to our hotel.

I do hope that we will soon have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Landmark London in the near future.

Toronto
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014

The room upon check-in smelled old and musty (possibly sheesha pipe?), missmatching furniture, only non-alcoholic beverages in Minibar - all in all the room was lackluster given the price tag of over £ 500! The restaurant experience - sadly - was not better: no one touched the table with sincerity during our meal, the waiter looked out of his comfort zone and the whole place did not provide a luxury get-away experience I hoped for. The breakfast next day continued in this pattern: the tea and coffee were served from non-thermos pots - lukewarm and just disgusting - this is not Leading Hotel quality! The buffet was OK, however not a wow-experience, especially overhearing the Supervisor going from waiter to waiter to solicit working the brunch later on. Definetly a waste of money and under-deliverying all the way.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
The_Landmark_London, General Manager at The Landmark London, responded to this review, 21 January 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit to our hotel on this website.

I was greatly concerned to learn that your time with us did not meet your expectations, nor did it meet the high standards we have set for ourselves, and that our guests have come to expect from us. I would therefore like to extend my most sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused.

I would like, if at all possible, to have a few more details on your stay so that I may investigate further with the relevant teams, and ensure that any appropriate retraining takes place. I would be grateful if you could contact me directly at Hotel.Manager@thelandmark.co.uk with a little more information on your stay at your convenience.

Thank you once again for sharing your feedback. We do genuinely value all our guests’ comments, as they provide us with the opportunity to continuously improve the service we are providing.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.