“Very nice but could be better.”

The Landmark London
Ranked #51 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Spent a few days at the Landmark after an initial week at the Langham and could not help comparing the 2 properties, for which I was better pleased with the Langham. The Landmark definitely do not spend as much money on accessories and guest amenities, on making their guests stay as memorable as the Langham.

Room was very big and comfortable and I was quite impressed with the housekeeping. As the Christmas period was very busy, It was difficult to get to dine at the restaurants and we had to either go out of the hotel or order room service. Charges for room service were ludicrous and were the same irrespective of what was ordered; had to order for water a couple of times because the management did not deem it necessary to provide complimentary water (which even 4 star hotels do).

Hotel is beautifully located and the concierge and door men were very helpful.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Olufunmi
The_Landmark_London, General Manager at The Landmark London, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

Dear Olufunmi,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our hotel.

Whilst I was of course pleased to read that you found your guest room to be comfortable and of a high standard, I was disappointed to learn that we were unable to meet your expectations on every level, and would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused.

I am sorry that you experienced difficulty in dining with us over the festive period, and that you were not entirely satisfied with the Room Service menu. We value all our guests’ feedback, and endeavour to take as much learning as possible from it – therefore I would be most grateful if you would have time to drop me a line, and share a little more about your experience with me. I can be contacted directly at: Hotel.Manager@thelandmark.co.uk

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

There are newer reviews for The Landmark London

Reviewed 12 May 2014

Stayed for the weekend during my business trip and needed a place to stay while checking out the city. Fantastic location in the middle of city and very easy to get around. The underground is right outside the back of the hotel. Beautiful rooms and very courteous staff. Next trip I'll definitely be booking with them again. They made it a very pleasurable stay.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
The_Landmark_London, General Manager at The Landmark London, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

Dear Francis T,

Thank you for talking the time to post a review of your recent stay on this site.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your weekend with us so much, and that you found our location to be convenient for getting around our fantastic city. We are indeed well located in the heart of London, and fortunate to be so well connected in terms of transport.

I was happy to read that your guest room was of such a high standard, and of course that our team were able to contribute to such a memorable experience.

I do hope that we will soon have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Landmark London, for another unforgettable stay.

Reviewed 10 May 2014

Stayed for a weekend in May. Had booked a deluxe and was upgraded to an executive room overlooking the Winter Garden which is beautiful. Room was spotless, spacious, beautifully appointed and the bed was comfy. Staff were also very helpful and friendly.

However, the hotel falls down in a few areas, most of which could be easily fixed to make it really outstanding - I've put the issues and recommendations below. If the hotel marketed itself as a low key 5* or a very good 4*, I'd probably not even mention them as they are distinctly First World issues, but this is The Landmark, an extremely upscale, famous property that trades on its reputation.

1. Don't nickel and dime your guests who are already paying very high prices. Internet happened to be free as there was a promotion over the Bank Holiday, but usually I understand guests have to pay. Same with access to the pool, which is nice, but not so impressive as to justify the usual £10 fee per day. Room Service prices are astronomical (£29 for breakfast) and when I asked just for one dish as opposed to the full breakfast, I was told I'd still get charged the same so I took my business to a nice little café 100 meters away in Marylebone. For food and beverages, you're in Central London, not the middle of nowhere, so I don't get how the hotel can justify these prices when there are so many quality cheaper options so close by. In fairness, Guest Relations agreed with me that the lack of flexibility on breakfast was not becoming of a 5* hotel and resolved to look into it.

2. Up the ante on the toiletries and bathroom accessories - just a few extra touches like better brands or more unusual products would give the bathrooms an edge. And what's with the budget toilet paper??? Similarly, put a couple of complimentary bottles of water in the room and a chocolate or something at turn down time - tiny cost for the prices and goes a long way to enhance reputation!

3. Bit more complicated but if you provide bathrooms with walk in showers, update the showers to rain/spa showers as opposed to something that would be more fitting in a Premier Inn.

4. The phones in the room looked like something from the 1980s - can't believe they've never replaced them with more modern ones.

5. Move to key cards as opposed to programmable metal keys - spent the weekend terrified I was going to lose mine, whereas a card nicely fits in your wallet.

Those mentioned, the hotel is in a great location, it has parking (at a charge but in line with local prices) and it is a stunning building. I'd recommend it if you want reliable and grand, but not if you want something luxurious yet quirky.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the winter garden - if you are in during the day, you can hear the piano playing w...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank TheSavvyTraveller
The_Landmark_London, General Manager at The Landmark London, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback, following your recent stay.

I was pleased to read that our team were able to provide a warm welcome to our hotel, and offer an upgrade to one of our beautiful Executive rooms. I am of course delighted that you were impressed by the standard of your room, and enjoyed the stunning view of our Winter Garden. In particular, it was a pleasure to read that our team were able to contribute to a memorable experience.

Thank you for leaving your honest feedback. I am delighted to inform you that we have recently implemented a new pricing structure within the hotel, meaning that there is an option of complimentary WiFi during our guests stays. This has only just taken place, so I am sorry that it had not taken place when you visited. However, we still do have a Business Centre which is available to our guests 24 hours a day, offering complimentary access to the Internet.

We appreciate your comments regarding our pricing, and I have taken the opportunity to share your thoughts with our Executive team for their consideration. We value all our guests’ comments, and would like to assure you that we take any learning possible from them in order to enhance our guests’ experiences.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Landmark London in the near future.

Reviewed 8 May 2014

Perfect placing and spectacular breakfasts. The rooms were big, clean and very comfortable. We also had dinner in winter garden: good value for money. Easy access to many public transportation. We will certainly be back.

Geir
Norway

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
The_Landmark_London, General Manager at The Landmark London, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel on this website.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your tine with us so much, and that our location was convenient for your trip to our beautiful city. I was pleased to read that you were able to benefit from the comfort and luxury of your spacious guest room, and you found us to be good value. Our sumptuous breakfast in the stunning setting of our unique Winter Garden is a highlight for so many of our guests, and I am so pleased that you had the opportunity to enjoy it.

I do hope that indeed we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Landmark London in the near future.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

Went there for a business meeting and nothing was too much trouble for the staff. Great location, plush furnishings, great service and the best coffee I have ever had in london. Worth it for the coffee alone!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts regarding your recent visit.

I was thrilled to read that you enjoyed your business meeting at our hotel, and that you were impressed by this stunning building we are so fortunate to find ourselves in.

Thank you for your comments regarding our coffee – we are also very partial to it! I do hope that we will have the opportunity very soon to welcome you back to The Landmark London, for another successful meeting, or simply another wonderful cup of coffee!

Reviewed 6 May 2014

We recently stayed at the Landmark London and it was the perfect mix of London tradition, spacious and charming rooms, spectacular breakfasts, and attentive, friendly service. This will be our new home base in London. GL

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your review of our hotel on this website.

I was naturally delighted to learn that you enjoyed your experience with us so much, and of course that you have found your base in our bustling city for your next visit. We are indeed fortunate to have some of the largest guest rooms in Central London, so I am pleased that you were able to benefit from this feature of our unique building.

In particular, I am delighted that our team were ab le to contribute to such a memorable stay. I do hope that we will soon have the opportunity to welcome you back to your home away from home.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

I stayed at The Landmark for 8 nights during a recent business trip to London. Overall experience was very good. The service was excellent, staffs were very attentive and helpful. The room was spacious with a huge bathroom ( shower and bath tub attached). Great location too, just across the street from Marylebone tube and train station, which makes a good base to explore London by tube. There are a lot of restaurants and cafes nearby. Take a short walk to Baker Street and you will find great choices of restaurants.

There is nothing to fault about this hotel, highly recommended for both business and leisure.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Siera1408

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts regarding your recent eight night stay.

It is always such a pleasure to read about our guests’ experiences here at The Landmark, and I was delighted to read that your time with us was so enjoyable. We are very lucky to have some of the largest guest rooms this city has to offer, so I am happy to hear that yours was both comfortable and luxurious, as well as providing plenty of space for your long stay.

I am pleased that you found our location to be so convenient, and most of all that our team were able to make you feel so at home.

I do hope that we will soon have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Landmark London, for what I am sure will be another fabulous stay.