“Price - Really?”

Ranked #49 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Spring Grove, Illinois
“Price - Really?”
Reviewed 23 August 2014

So this fine hotel is indeed in a great central London Location. It is across the street from the Marylebone Rail Station (via the rear entrance) although I doubt many of the guests use that. It is indeed a nice and grand hotel. It is; however, also rather over-priced. Part of that may be in the number of staff they have plus a halo of who they are and where they are. I observed women, in maid uniforms, polishing the marble walls by hand and two to four doormen at each entrance. The restaurant is nice but VERY expensive. The thing that got me was the added charge, that I did not agree to, as a "charitable donation." They will remove it but you have to ask.

Room Tip: Atrium facing rooms are noisy until things close down as are the main street facing rooms. London h...
1 Thank Erik P
The_Landmark_London, General Manager at The Landmark London, responded to this review, 24 August 2014
Dear Erik P,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts regarding your recent stay.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed our central London location, and that you appreciated the historic and beautiful building we are so fortunate to be able to call our home.

However, I was of course disappointed that we were not able to meet your expectations on all levels, and I would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused. I was glad to read that you did enjoy your meal, however I am sorry if the price was not what you were expecting. We do regularly check our charges against those of comparable 5* hotels in London, and always find ourselves to be in line. That said, we do take on board all our guests’ feedback, and will always ensure every possible learning is taken from it.

Thank you once again for your time. I do hope that we will soon have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Landmark London, and restore your faith in us.

Andrew Batchelor

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (496)
  • Arabic first
Reviewed 23 August 2014

POSITIVE THINGS:
- Location: Just perfect
- Hall and inner garden: Very nice and elegant
- Friendly and helpful staff.
- Nice size of the room (executive room, Marylebone Studio, 52sq m)

NEGATIVE THINGS:
- No door separating the entrance and the living room and the bedroom. In a 5* hotel this is a huge miss. You can listen to the things which are happening in the corridor... I had to complain twice one night due to children shouting and running outside my room, and the staff was not so efficient to solve the situation.
- WI-FI far too expensive.
- Isolation of the room not perfect, you could hear the street.

I don't think I'll be back there... The quality of my sleeping was not very good.

1 Thank SoloRaquel
Dear SoloRaquel,

Thank you for posting a review of your time with us on this website.

Whilst I was of course pleased to read that there was several aspects of your stay that were indeed enjoyable, I was sorry to learn that on this occasion we were unable to meet your expectations on all levels. Please allow me to express my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused.

I was delighted to learn that you did enjoy the comfort and space of your luxurious Marylebone Studio, and in particular that you found our team to be friendly and helpful. However, I am sorry if you were disturbed by any noise from neighbouring rooms. We do have a Security team on duty 24 hours a day to ensure that no guests’ behaviour has any effect on another; however I am sorry if you felt that this issue was not handled efficiently. Please be assured that this has already been taken up with the relevant departmental heads for their review.

Thank you also for your comments regarding our WiFi system. We do indeed have an option of complimentary service for all our guests, for the first 2 hours of usage. We do also have at our guests’ disposal 24 hours a day, a fully equipped business centre with access to the Internet; however I am sorry if this was not explained fully to you.

I am grateful to you for leaving your honest comments. We value all our guests’ feedback, and use them as a tool to learn for the future, so thank you once again. I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Landmark London, and restore your faith in us.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 22 August 2014

I stayed at the Landmark during a recent business trip and came away impressed with the old world charm and luxury. The check in process was quick and painless - something I appreciated having arrived after a 13-hour flight. Antonio at the front desk was helpful and gave me tips on accessing wifi, a necessity modern-day travellers definitely cannot live without.

My room was comfortable and spacious - I had a room at the back of the hotel and my windows overlooked the majestic Marylebone station. Housekeeping provides a selection of magazines for you to peruse at leisure - unfortunately, I did not have time to do so. My only gripe was that the TV was somehow annoying to 'manoeuvre' and the channels limited.

I would like to commend Arpad from Concierge who helped me with my luggage as I was checking out - he not only reminded me to check the safe and was very courteous throughout, but also kept me company while I waited for my car to arrive.

Room Tip: There are various ways to access free wifi - ask the front of house. There is also a sheet of paper...
Dear kablooi,

Thank you for sharing your feedback following your recent stay with us.

I was thrilled to read that Antonio was able to provide such a warm and friendly welcome to our hotel, and that from the moment you arrived you felt so at home. Our aim is exactly that, and it is very encouraging to read about the wonderful arrival experiences of our guests.

I am pleased that you enjoyed the comfort, space and amenities of your spacious guest room. I was sorry, however, to learn that you were not entirely satisfied with the operation of your television, and I will certainly pass your comments on to our Engineering team for their review.

Thank you also for your comments about the efficient luggage collection upon check out, and Arpad’s contribution to your departure experience. Again, it will be my pleasure to share your lovely words with Antonio, Arpad, and the rest of our team.

I do hope that we will soon have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Landmark London, for another unforgettable stay.

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 18 August 2014

If you want class and elegance, exceptional service and old world luxury, this is the hotel for you. The General Manager, Andrew Batchelor, made sure that our one day stay in London was a fantastic experience. The wonderfully polite and courteous members of staff made us feel like we were visiting royalty. We are coming back as soon as we can!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LondonFan1606
Dear LondonFan1606,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on this website.

I was delighted to read that your experience with us was such a memorable one, and that we were able to exceed your expectations on all levels. Thank you for your kind words regarding our team members – they are all here to ensure each and every guest feels as comfortable as possible, and that we truly are a home away from home. It will be my pleasure to pass your kind words on to all.

Thank you once again for your time. I do hope that indeed we will soon have the opportunity to extend another warm welcome to you, for what I am confident will be another outstanding stay.

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

We attended a wedding at The Landmark, our first visit to Marylebone.
The Landmark is just beautiful.
The staff was very professional - friendly and helpful - and the food was delicious. It was such a nice experience.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
The_Landmark_London, General Manager at The Landmark London, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Dear MB-F2013,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of our hotel on this website.

I was delighted to learn that your experience here at our hotel was so enjoyable, and that the event you attended was such a success. Our team are here to ensure that all our guests’ expectations are exceeded, and it is a genuine pleasure for me to read about it when they are.

I do hope that we will soon have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Landmark London, for another unforgettable experience.

Arezzo
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Soooo British!!!...
An absolutely classic and luxurious hotel in a real “English Empire” style, with valet in frock coat at the front door and a large winter garden with palm trees to the Art Nouveau stained glass ceiling...where you expect to see pop out an officer in his Victorian red uniform, saber and colonial helmet.
I was there to exhibit my wines at the Decanter magazine “Great Tuscan Fine Wine Encounter” in the Ballroom Hall, absolutely perfect location for such kind of fashionable events – great location, great service for the exhibitors and the visitors – perfect business experience.
The price my company paid was a lot lower that the usual as it was the result of a special agreement made by Decanter magazine.
My “business” room was perfect for a single, comfortable and clean, but being contemporary style furnished not so evocative and luxurious as the rest of the hotel's public areas…
Obviously incredible classic British breakfast and marvelous tea service in the winter garden (a little expensive, but aligned to Fortnum & Mason, in a better location)…
I cannot say anything about the restaurant as I had all my meals outside in London.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank DOCTOR_TUSCANY
The_Landmark_London, General Manager at The Landmark London, responded to this review, 17 August 2014
Dear TuscanyaModoMio,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of our hotel on this website.

I was delighted to learn that your experience here at our hotel was so enjoyable, and that our team were able to make you feel so welcome, and at home. We are indeed extremely fortunate to be able to call such a majestic, and indeed historical building our home, and it is such a pleasure for us to hear about our guests’ appreciation of it also.

Our sumptuous breakfast, served in the unique setting of our beautiful Winter Garden is a highlight for so many of our guests, and I am pleased that you had the chance to enjoy it during your stay. Our divine Afternoon Tea served in the same location is a perfect way to spend the day, and I am thrilled that it exceeded your expectations.

Thank you once again for your time. I do hope that we will soon have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Landmark London, for another wonderful overnight stay, or indeed another tempting Afternoon Tea.

Dhaka City, Bangladesh
Reviewed 13 August 2014

We booked ourselves for an extended family stay at The Landmark 222 Marylebone Road London.
Traveling with two children ages 5 yr and 11 months we booked two rooms requested inter-connected however we where given two rooms adjacent.
The Landmark by all accounts is an extremely expensive Hotel, however we decided this was a long overdue vacation and we wanted the best.
4 days into out stay there was either a main water / waste water line burst or leak from the floor above our room when we where literally flooded out of our rooms. This is when our stay turned from a pleasant holiday to a nightmare.
The Hotel moved us too much smaller Attic level rooms no longer adjacent so the children where now moved to a length of hallway down from us.
This is now late evening on the day of the flooding - when I approached the evening duty manager with my complaint, as Hotel Management had not bothered to contact us, he was so very visible put off by my complaining when it was HIS room that had been damaged by the flooding (Not of my doing) that I ended up apologizing to him for bothering him. Some classic lines from the gentleman who was obviously upset at having to deal with me…

“ This is Arab Season, you cannot be expect to be given rooms”
“ Our Arab guest book entire floors” – the implication that my 2 rooms where really not of any importance.
“ I cannot be expected to create a room for you….” – therefore be happy with what you are being given.

Left with not choice but accepting the smaller Attic level rooms, and the great inconvenience of the move I was only left with thanking him for not turning us out into the London night.

The irony was that the Hotel was still selling my category of rooms on the internet site for a much higher rate than I was paying for last minute bookings as I and my family where shifted to the Atic. Enjoyable stay……. Would have been with a more understanding management.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank 435Hissam
The_Landmark_London, General Manager at The Landmark London, responded to this review, 16 August 2014
Dear 435Hissam,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on this website.

Please allow me to begin by apologising for the inconvenience caused but the issue you have described. I can only imagine how frustrating it must have been to have to move rooms once you are settled in, through no fault of your own, and particularly with two small children. Unfortunately, on the very odd occasion, we do experience a maintenance fault outside of our control, which indeed was what happened with your room. Please accept my apologies once again for having to move you, however for your comfort and safety, this was the only option left open to us.

I am sorry that we were unable to find two rooms adjacent to each other, however due to high occupancy, this was not possible at the time. In order to accommodate as many guest requests as possible, we do have different layouts in different rooms, and I am sorry if the new rooms we found for you were not to your liking.

I was pleased to learn that we were able to move you again to something more in keeping with the rooms you had originally. I am deeply sorry if you felt that the way your concern once raised was handled, and I would like to assure you that this issue has already been addressed with the team member in question. We use all our valued guests’ feedback as a tool to improve for the future, and we do always ensure any appropriate learning is taken.

Thank you once again for your time, and for sharing your experience with us. I am deeply sorry that we were unable to meet your expectations on this occasion, however I do hope that we will have the opportunity in the future to welcome you and your family back to The Landmark London, and restore your faith in us.