“Amazing Hotel.. Amazing Experience... 10/10”

St Martins Lane London Hotel
Ranked #79 of 1,068 Hotels in London
London, United Kingdom
“Amazing Hotel.. Amazing Experience... 10/10”
Reviewed 7 February 2012

I spent some time searching for the perfect hotel for a birthday surprise for my partner and boy did I find the perfect hotel! Everything about St Martins totally surpassed my expectations and more. Upon arrival you are greeted by these huge revolving doors which are lit up and although the hotel did not appear to have a sign informing of their name, I'd already received directions from the hotel staff and it was easy to find. The reception area is spacious and very modern, with tasteful artwork scattered around. We were welcomed by a friendly member of staff on reception who dealt with our check-in very efficiently and smoothly.

Inside the lifts ambient music was playing with little tv screens on the walls inside the lift which was different. The corridor to the rooms were lit up by little spotlights providing a very atmospheric feel even before you've seen what the room is like.

As for the room itself - wow where do I begin?! We were very lucky to have been upgraded to the queen superior which featured a bath tub and shower. The bathroom was a great size, there were plenty of towels and great little complimentary bathrooom treats such as body lotion; shower gel; shampoo/conditioner and vanity pack of shower cap and cotton buds etc.

Included in the wardrobe were bath robes and slippers plus ironing board; hairdryer etc. They have basically thought of every extra that a guest may need. The bed was extremely comfortable and the mood lighting was such a great feature. Another cool feature to the room was the tv cabinet which was housed the tv and mini bar. There were two huge floor standing mirrors; the furniture was tasteful and modern. The floor to ceiling windows provided a great view, we were on the 4th floor.

The actual location is perfect for theatreland, we went to see a show at the lyric theatre and only a short distance away. Staff were helpful in providing us with a map to get there too.

One of the reasons for booking this hotel was for a birthday treat for my partner and prior to our visit I had the pleasure of dealing with Steffi who I must say, went all out to ensure our stay was truely memorable. This included decorating our room whilst we were out at the theatre which included fresh rose petals; candles; cupcakes and ordering in other extras. I cannot state enough how helpful; kind and thoughtful Steffi was to help me with this surprise. St Martins is extremely lucky to have this special member of staff on board.

I honestly cannot say anything negative about St Martins, the only thing to mention was that housekeeping did knock quite early (around 9am I think) which did wake us up but it wasn't a problem. I could go on and list every little detail about this hotel but wouldn't want to spoil the surprise for all of you who are considering staying here.. all I can say is that you won't be disappointed, you will be amazed and made to feel special. I would recommend this hotel for anyone who wishes for that extra special something to their trip and would most certainly stay there again.

Room Tip: Request a room higher up
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Missjby
Jesper S, Director of Rooms at St Martins Lane London Hotel, responded to this review, 9 February 2012
Wow, what an amazing and detailed review, thank you – we love it and we truly appreciate you detailing so many highlights of the hotel and your stay, and so pleased that the birthday celebrations were so memorable for you both. Steffi is our Guest Experience Manager and she really is a GEM, she loves to create a magical experience for all our guests and is always pleased to help with any pre-planning for a special occasion. We look forward to welcoming you both back and please let Steffi know when you are next staying with us (steffi.steidle@morganshotelgroup.com).

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (471)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 5 February 2012

I have been a previously staying in a Morgan Group hotel (in San Francisco, see my review on tripadvisor) and it was an excellent experience for the price. Therefore, I had certain expectations. Those were mostly ruined during my one night stay in St Martins Lane. I am a regular traveller to London and decided to stay in St Martins Lane based on my work colleagues recommendations. I guess my disappointment was also fueled by the price of 330 GBP per night and the expectations related to that. Overall, St Martins Lane is for a place where design goes over comfort and practicability. Further, at this price level customers can expect certain services included, such as Wifi, breakfast and a TV which is less than 5 years old (Well, the old TV was hiding in a new designer closet). I had booked with a special company arrangement (including Wifi, breakfast) which I didn't get, even after asking the evening of arrival and the morning of departure at the reception. After a lengthy and not very friendly discussion I've got my take-away breakfast which was not very fresh and smashed into a fancy take-away box. I decided to have breakfast with Starbucks across the street. It might sound a bit picky but my 12h stay at St Martins Lane was just not meeting my expectations of what I should get for 330 GBP.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank tg81
We are very sorry that your first visit to St Martins Lane did not live up to your colleagues’ recommendations and we have separately written to you direct in response to the internal survey that you completed on departure to extend our most sincere apologies and an invitation to return. Unfortunately, the company rate was not available for your stay and I am sorry if this was not made known to you when your reservation was confirmed, in turn the rate subsequently booked was not linked to the corporate account. As advised in my email to you, we do hope you will return to stay with us again when you are next in London and please contact me direct at that time.
Wayland, Massachusetts
Reviewed 1 February 2012

Let me start by saying that this hotel was a designer's dream. They obviously gave someone free reign over place and were playful in their implementation. Kind of Alice in Wonderland meets South Beach. But unlike Morgan's Delano on South Beach where the wind gently sweeps through the lobby blowing the long white drapes and you wonder why you hadn't visited sooner, I just kind of felt like I wasn't cool or artsy enough to hang out downstairs. So up to my room. Hey the bed and desk are floating on pink neon. Maybe cool for the ultra lounge but how do you turn these off? The door to the restroom, I think it took 5 minutes to find then figure out how to open. The bed, looking quite cool floating around all of the glowing neon, had a mattress that could not have been more than 3 or 4 inches thick. Not comfortable for my 3 night stay. Definitely a case of fashion over function.

I've eaten at the restaurant downstairs and it's really good. I saw some famous folks waiting outside the club. It's in central London and all of that. But as someone who travels a bit, I don't really care for the feel of the place and definitely think they should have put more money towards the mattress and pulled back on some of the high design.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank Tom N
Dear Tom, thank you for your feedback and I am very pleased to confirm that, since your stay in April 2011, we have replaced all the mattresses in the guestrooms. I am sorry if we were not aware of any concern during your stay, our bell team will always highlight room facilities and Housekeeping are also pleased to assist with any queries. We are planning more room improvements during 2012 and hope you will consider staying with us again when you are next in London. Thank you for your kind comments on Asia De Cuba which has also recently introduced an exciting new menu. Please let me know if you have an opportunity to stay with us again (jesper.soerensen@morganshotelgroup.com).
London
Reviewed 1 February 2012

Although I've been to the bar and restaurant at St Martin's Lane a number of times this was my first time staying in the hotel and I was really impressed. And, I have to say, surprised. I have stayed in a number of other 'übercool' hotels both in London and around the world, which have turned out to be 'style over substance'; lovely to look at but lacking any warmth or real character... so it was a really pleasant surprise to experience both during my stay last weekend. I was staying with a group of friends to celebrate a special weekend with a friend. And the hotel team helped make it extra special for her and for us. Most of our rooms were upgraded, which was a lovely surprise. My friend also received a bottle of Laurent Perrier in her room. Another great touch. And we were really looked after by the concierge - both during the week in the run up to our stay - and over the weekend.
It goes without saying that the rooms are lovely, comfortable and indulgent; the bar and other public areas in the hotel are really stylish, but this can all become a bit beside the point if the service and attitude of the staff are not high quality as well, and if as a guest you are not made to feel welcome. Happily for us, we experienced all of this during our stay. I am already planning a weekend back with my husband.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
We’re so pleased that you enjoyed staying at St Martins Lane as much as you have previously enjoyed visiting the outlets, and thank you for the great comments on service. Concierge always love to help with recommendations and reservations for special occasions and it’s great to know that everyone had a memorable experience. We’re delighted that you’re already planning a return stay and please do let Concierge or me know when you’ve booked your visit (jesper.soerensen@morganshotelgroup.com).
Bury St Edmunds
Reviewed 31 January 2012

We stayed at this hotel last week and found it wonderfully relaxing. The bedrooms are minimalist - so soothing and delightful. All the staff were friendly, helpful and professional. The decor of the public rooms is fabulous and the food was delicious. We definitely want to come back! Thank you.

Room Tip: Other visitors have said to ask for a room on the upper floors to minimise noise levels, but we were...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you, Teresa, for your great comments – we love to be absolutely fabulous and we definitely want you to come back!! Please let me know when you have booked your next stay (jesper.soerensen@morganshotelgroup.com).
Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 January 2012

Difficult to find if you have not been before as it has no signage but its next to the Gym next door which has a huge sign! The rooms are simple but stylish. We had deluxe room on the 6th floor which had great views and well away from the busy street noise below. Size of room was adequate but not overly large. Staff were very helpful especially when we had rowdy neighbours in the adjoining room next door. Management eventually quietened them down by 3.30am and knocked £100 off our bill which helped. We did not get to visit recommended Asia de Cuba but we did have a few drinks in the 'trendy' bar which we found to be dark, a little dreary and too loud for conversation. Great location and we would definitely stay again, but dont think its worth more than £230 per night (our room only deal on lastminute.com.

Room Tip: High floor for no traffic noise.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
Thank you for your review and we’re pleased to note that the location and service was a particular plus for you, however it’s hugely disappointing if other guests are not more considerate to the comfort of all residents and we are sorry you were disturbed. We hope you do have a chance to enjoy the hotel – and Asia De Cuba, which has just launched an exciting new menu – and our website has a number of promotions and packages available. Please let me know when you have organised another stay with us, jesper.soerensen@morganshotelgroup.com
Rochdale , England
Reviewed 30 January 2012

This is an amazing trendy hotel right in the heart of London. From its swish lobby to the cool mood lit bedrooms, it's got it all. It's not cheap mind so expect to pay top dollar for any extras, there are no in room tea or coffee facilities so take a travel kettle if you like a brew when you wake, and at £12 for a tea tray for two ( no biscuits either ) you can soon rack up your room bill. It is on the doorstep of theatre land with Coventry garden just around the corner, every other attraction is within easy walking distance. Asia de Cuba has a great intimate feel, the food is good but not the best I have had for the price. However I must say that my customer experience from start to finish has to be commended, from the lobby to the young Italian waiter who combined charm with a total knowledge of the menu to provide world class service. We stayed at a Morgans Hotel in New York ( The Royalton ) and I have to say that I have been very impressed with both venues. I would thoroughly recommend this hotel, just make sure you have plenty of cash to splash.

• Stayed January 2012
It’s great to know that every member of staff you encountered demonstrated our core values so fully to create a memorable experience and thank you for highlighting the service. We are very proud of our location and style, and we’re so pleased that you’ve also had a chance to experience Royalton (the Hotel Manager at St Martins Lane has recently moved to Royalton as General Manager!) and that you’ve enjoyed both properties. We are reviewing tea/coffee facilities for the guestrooms in line with our design and space available, and Asia De Cuba has just launched an exciting new menu. We’d love to welcome you back when your next in London and please let me know when you have booked a return stay (jesper.soerensen@morganshotelgroup.com).