“Close to city vibe”

Ranked #74 of 1,088 Hotels in London
UK - Warwickshire
“Close to city vibe”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

This is now our third visit to this hotel and it always impresses. I decided to upgrade to the romance themed offer as a christmas gift to my partner and was pleasantly surprised by the way in which the room was made up with candles and rose petals.

The main downside to two of our stays here is when you provide specific requests at the booking stage for delivering champagne to the room - they just don't seem to deal with this efficiently as both times I have had to prompt concierge/reception.

Overall a good stay if not memorable.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Francisco C
Jesper S, Director of Rooms at St Martins Lane London Hotel, responded to this review, 9 March 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and your kind comments on the candles/petals layout are very much appreciated. Please accept our sincere apologies for any disappointment with the champagne deliveries - whilst we prefer not to leave champagne in an ice bucket in the room prior to arrival (to avoid bottle floating in melted ice), we should always request a preferred time of delivery in advance of the stay or on arrival and this has been discussed with the relevant individuals. We hope you will return for a 4th (and more) stay and please let me know when you have made a future reservation so that I may personally oversee your return.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (454)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

Hotel is really central and very friendly staff! Price is a bit high but think that is while it's in London!

• Stayed February 2012
Thank you so much for the great comments on staff and location. Our rates will fluctuate in line with demand, however our website always has promotions and packages and we hope you’ll have an opportunity to stay with us again when you’re next in London. Please do let us know at that time and we look forward to welcoming you back.
Brevard,NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2012

Wife and I had a five day stay at a greatly reduced rate, apparently due to the off season. Also
Had terrific airline rates. We were enthralled with our location in Covent/Leicester section of London right next to Trafalgar Square.

We are about 35 years older than the usual clientele and the hotel is what I would call edgy.
However, the staff were terrific and courteous. Very helpful in providing sightseeing info. Rooms
were very modern and neat and hotel staff very reliable. Did not eat or have a drink within the hotel since there were plenty of pubs and dining establishments in close proximity so unable
to give a review on this topic.

Entire stay was unforgettable and would gladly use this hotel again.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Jesper S, DIrector of Rooms at St Martins Lane London Hotel, responded to this review, 9 March 2012
We’re absolutely delighted to know that stay at St Martins Lane was ‘unforgettable’, that really makes our spirits soar and thank you so much for the great comments on the hotel, the location, the service and the staff. It’s always our ethos to create a home away from home experience for our guests – irrespective of age – and we’re so pleased that you had a memorable time. We can’t wait for your second trip to England, please let us know when you are coming back (check our website for promotions) and we very much look forward to welcoming you back at that time.
Norwich, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2012

We have stayed in lots of London hotels and this one is definitely the worst. I am actually amazed that it has such a good reputation! Upon arrival the foyer does admittedly look impressive, however we found the greeting at reception rather uncomfortable. We were checked in and given extremely unclear directions to the room and no offer of help with our bags. When we found our room I have to say we were underwhelmed. The room was minimalist, but to a fault. It felt very clinical and was very cold. We understood what the room was trying to achieve but it fell short on quality and comfort. There was no bath in the room, just a shower. The room had stone flooring, but no underfloor heating so it was very cold. The overall feel off the room was claustrophobic and not cosy at all. And now to the restaurant. We had a table booked at Asia de Cuba. We had really been looking forward to eating here but the service was so poor and we were made to feel so uncomfortable that we left (we had sat at the table for 30mins without anyone taking our order or bringing us a drink!) In order to give a balanced review I must add that the breakfast we had in our room was faultless and the man on reception when we checked out was really friendly and took the breakfast off of the bill when we told him about our experience in the restaurant. But all in all this hotel is over rated and over priced and I wouldnt recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank laurapoppy-s
We’re so sorry that you were disappointed on your stay, we let ourselves down in terms of attentive and gracious service in several areas which is not acceptable and I have taken the opportunity to write to you separately to personally apologise and invite you to return. Some of our rooms have walk-in showers only, others have bathtub and walk-in shower, and full descriptions and images of all our room types are available on our website. We have also recently installed new air conditioning/heating units across the hotel and if we had been aware of any concern with the temperature level during your stay, we should have immediately assisted. We hope you will consider returning to stay and contact details are included in our letter.
Santa Fe, New Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2012

Let's say you're traveler and you're looking for a comfortable hotel room in a great location in London, near theater and a tubestop. Let's also say that you're Philippe Starck, the noted French hotel designer and architect. He'd definitely enjoy the St Martin's Lane Hotel, because he designed it. But if you're NOT Starck, then it's a little iffier....

I stayed at the St Martin's Lane for four nights last week, traveling as a single woman. I knew the hotel was "trendy" - I read the reviews - and I also know that I am NOT trendy, but decided I could put up with a little "trendiness" for four nights in a superb location. I was welcomed to the hotel by a front-desk staff and concierge who were the friendliest and most helpful I've encountered on my many trips to London. A grade of A+++ to the staff. The helpfulness and good cheer were in evidence throughout my stay. The room, though, is a different story...

When I stay at a hotel for more than one night, I "set up" the room - finding space for my computer, locating easily-accessed plugs for the many chargers I bring, putting a box of Kleenex on my bedside table, etc. And I don't mind a small room - as long as it's well appointed, I find it "cozy". The problem with the room at the St Martin's is that it was small, but contained furniture that all had extremely sharp corners. The platform that the mattress was on was a walk-by hazard, as was the long, rectangular table at the edge of the room. The plugs were located across the room from the bed, and were barely accessible. There was no night-stand on either side of the bed and I found a small brown stool that I placed next to the bed. The bed had a counter in back of the head-board but it was awkwardly placed and would be impossible to use as a nightstand. The stand that held the TV and other music components was also sharply cornered. If the room wasn't so small, then all the sharp-cornered pieces wouldn't matter, but as it was, "surviving" the room was difficult without bruising. The mattress on the bed platform was comfortable, as was the duvet and other bed linen. The room was about half bathroom, half bed/desk area, and also included a charming outside enclosed sitting area, that is probably great fun and enjoyable in the warmer weather.

I discussed the room with one of the concierges and he said all the rooms had the same furniture and basic set up. He also said the hotel was - perhaps - going to go through "refurbishment" in the near future. I said I hoped the designers and the manager and whoever makes these decisions would spend a couple of nights in the hotel, using the same rooms offered the guests. Let THEM try to get comfortable and avoid bruising! Maybe they would remake the rooms with softer corners and see what amenities of comfort most travelers - whether "trendy" or not - expect in a hotel room. In my case, the staff made up for the uncomfortable room and I will return to the hotel when I want to stay again in the West End and Covent Garden area. For others looking at the hotel, please think about what your priorities are in a hotel stay and plan accordingly.

Oh, and I booked through hotels.com and got a very good room rate. I paid a small upgrade charge when I checked in and was upgraded to the room I occupied throughout my stay.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
IsabelleFowkes, Guest Experience Manager at St Martins Lane London Hotel, responded to this review, 1 April 2016
phoebes1951,

Thank you for your feedback from your stay St Martins Lane.

I am excited to let you know that since your stay with us we have had a stunning renovation and we now have a brand new bar, Blind Spot with bespoke cocktails and a hidden entrance. Asia de Cuba our iconic restaurant has had a make-over including a mouth-watering new menu and we also have a brand new cosy lounge area just off the lobby where you can enjoy a lovely coffee and game of chess.

I hope that we are able to welcome you back soon!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2012

I stayed here for two nights in December. The location is just wonderful, very close to a tube station and the theatres I love so much.

The most comfortable bed I have ever slept in, I didn't want to leave!

Quite high priced, if 10% cheaper I'd make it my base when in London.

• Stayed December 2011
Hayleyjamesie,

Thank you for your feedback from your stay St Martins Lane.

I hope that we are able to welcome you back soon!
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2012

Service was fantastic, better than I expected. Location is central and walkable, rooms are very comfortable. This might be my new favorite London hotel.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Jesper S, Director of Rooms at St Martins Lane London Hotel, responded to this review, 9 February 2012
Hi Simon, thank you for the lovely review and we definitely want to be your new favourite London hotel! Please come back soon to enjoy another fantastic experience and let me know when you are next staying with us.