“Home from home!”

Ranked #80 of 1,069 Hotels in London
marazion
“Home from home!”
Reviewed 25 June 2013

Lets start with the issue of tea/coffee tray ....or lack of one in the room! For me it's a must have being a night owl in need of caffeine and early bird in need of caffeine. I read several reviews kind of complaining about the lack of this basic facility in the rooms but management responded with 'just ask and we'll bring one up'. That's what I did and that's what I got....a well stocked tray promptly delivered so please don't be put off by other reviews. Then there's room size.....well mine was great. Not sure what I got but I'd booked a standard room and it was great....2 double beds with plenty of space all around, a huge bathroom, dressing area and great desk space (think it was 116 or 126). Noise? Not a peep from the banging Lightbox bar even though I stayed Friday and Saturday night. Location...great! Theatreland and covent garden on the doorstep and so central that everything is easy to access. Service...tiptop! Staff were all young vibrant fun and friendly...nothing was too much trouble. Restaurant...can't comment having not used it but it looked great....fully booked....buzzing atmosphere. I hit the cocktail bar instead..the lightbox was buzzing...huge cocktail menu..yummy although the snacks/lite bites menu was a little limited. The hotel itself is cool....it feels cool & calm...lots of space...no clutter....white white white peppered with funky light and the odd statement piece that is pure fun entertainment. I would definitely recommend a stay at SML...I'd definitely go back. If you want traditional grandeur you won't find it here but if you want a place where there are no airs and graces but plenty of chic and fun in a top central spot then SML does the trick.

Room Tip: I had a 1st floor room...don't like heights...room 116 or 126...2 x double beds with plenty of s...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank jsb1961
Jesper_Soerensen, Director of Rooms at St Martins Lane London Hotel, responded to this review, 2 July 2013
Thank you so much for this amazing review of St Martins Lane. We are absolutely delighted to be your home from home. Coffee & Tea facilities is something new to us as it wasn't part of our ethos and room set up. However, we have over the last months revised the offering of this and am very pleased to have more availability of these set ups. We are additionally looking to include them as part of the room set up later in the year or very early next year. Please email me directly at jesper.soerensen@mhgc.com next time you plan to stay with us so I may oversee your booking. We look forward to welcoming you back with us again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (471)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Melbourne
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Recently stayed at the St Martin's Lane Hotel in London. We were passing through for two nights. We had tickets to go to the theatre, so thought we'd stay in the theatre district. Brilliant!! Short walking distance to everything. Theatres, Leicester Square, shops and an amazing choice of restaurants. The hotel is quite modern. The rooms are well equipped, but we were coming from a month on holidays, so we had a bit of trouble with our two large suitcases. Otherwise, the room was great. Fabulous breakfast, friendly staff. We really enjoyed our stay. Would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Naomi,
Thank you for choosing to stay with us at St Martins Lane during your travels. Must admit a month of holidays sounds amazing and I'm sure you enjoyed ever bit of it. Equally thank you for posting your review and we hope you will get to stay with us in the future. We will welcome the opportunity to have you with us again.
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Have stayed here on a couple of occasions in the past. It's a great location for visits to the Opera or Theatre - its literally 2 minutes from the Coliseum. Standard rooms are not huge as you would expect but they are more than adequate and the bed was very comfortable.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Mike_McKenna,
Thank you for your posting of St Martins Lane. We do hope you will have another opportunity to stay with us and enjoy what London has to offer. We look forward to welcoming you back.
Reviewed 22 June 2013 via mobile

I have stayed in this hotel many times and have always had a good experience. I love the location, rooms, price value and the fact that although getting on a bit.... its still in good shape and has a bit of style. ( Sounds like me LOL)

I am prompted to write now as I wanted to share an example of first class customer service. I always eat in Asia deCuba when I stay and this time invited a couple of colleagues to dine with me. I had raved about the food and to my horror the food on that evening was not good and took an age to be served. I complained on the night and was given a discount off the bill. It did however leave a bad taste in my mouth, literally. On my last evening it was raining so I decided not to venture out for dinner but risk the restaurant again, the Young lady at the desk recognised me as a regular and I told her about my bad experience earlier in the week for no other reason than she asked....

I was shown to an excellent table and had a meal that was as good as I have had there in the past, there was also live music so for a dinner for one it was quite fun. During dinner the manager of the restaurant came and asked about my bad experience earlier in the week, so I gave him the lowdown, again cos he asked not because I was complaining.

Anyway, when I came to pay I was advised that dinner was on the house!

This unexpected and un solicited gesture means that the hotel will continue to get 20 nights a year from my business and the restaurant my patronage and I hope yours...

A simple message to all hotels, mistakes happen....its how you deal with them that determines the impact.

Bravo St Martins Lane and Asia deCuba

The

Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Travelheapsoftimes
Thank you so much Travelheapsoftimes for this lovely and detailed review of your experience with us here at St Martins Lane. I am personally pleased to read we manged to turn the experience around for you by being so accountable and gracious and correcting our mistake. When you plan to stay with us again please feel free to email me at jesper.soerensen@mhgc.com so I can oversee your booking.
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 19 June 2013

One of the best hotels I have ever stayed at from Ed, who helped with bags to Carolyn who cleaned our room. The staff was so friendly! Our room was so clean! beds were excellent as well.
Great location on top of everything else! a short walk to tube station as well as Charing Cross Station. Trafalgar, Picadilly, Covenant Garden literally a short walk away! two theatres across the street and a few shops down was the Coliseum Opera House. A Tesco right around the corner if one needed it. A beautiful restaurant with good food and a very friendly staff. I'd come back again just because I felt welcome and appreciated as valued guest.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Willene,
Thank you so much for the praising review of St Martins Lane. We also appreciate your kind words of our team and the special mention of Ed and Carolyn. We are delighted you enjoyed so many aspects of your stay with us. We are very lucky to be located in the middle of Covent Garden with access to all the west end has to offer. Please feel free to email us at edward.parkes@mhgc.com next time you plan to stay with us.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 19 June 2013

I've stayed at the St Martins Lane Hotel the past three years. I love the rooms, the Light Bar, and the location. But mostly, I love the friendly, caring, competent, and enthusiastic staff. Since I travel by myself, the personal touch is very welcome. It is always sad to leave.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Thank you very much Jamesamusich for choosing St Martins Lane as A Wonderful Place to stay. We very much appreciate your loyalty to us and are very pleased you are so appreciative of our teams efforts to make our guests feel special and cared for. We will look forward to having you with us again. Feel free to email us at caroline.evans@mhgc.com next time you plan to visit.
Reviewed 17 June 2013

We stayed here for our 2nd wedding anniversary last year and stayed in the Sanderson for our first and St Martins Lane won hands down. The staff were fantastic from the check in on reception (and the wonderful upgrade when they realised it was our anniversary) to the great staff behind the bar and at Asia de Cuba who were so accommodating and friendly. The location is great and overall the service felt much more personal than The Sanderson, although they did recognise our anniversary with a bottle of wine overall you felt like a guest passing through vs being made to feel special and looked after at St Martins Lane. The Sanderson does have the benefit of of a Spa and I would thoroughly recommend the treatments there but the only real downside of St Martins Lane is a very small bar (we like to sit at the bar for drinks) and its still the winner in our eyes.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you very much for this great review Dentonsdestinations. We are very pleased to see St Martins Lane is your preferred destination and we could be part of the celebration of your 2nd wedding anniversary. Light Bar and Asia de Cuba does have a great menu and atmosphere. Equally do I have to agree that Agua at Sanderson is quite a treat. We will very much look forward to you returning to St Martins Lane again.