“Wonderful service” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #73 of 1,087 Hotels in London
London, England, United Kingdom
“Wonderful service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2014

This is a really quirky urban hotel unlike any I have stayed at. I like the small touches that they do for their guest.

We got offered Champagne on arrival, Candy sticks also and a free room upgrade.

The service is warm and friendly which it should be. They surprised us in the room with petals on bed and free bottle of bubbly as I explained its for a surprise for my partner.

They really do go that extra mile for there guests. Our rooms was all in white with ambient lighting felt slight cold if you know what I mean but with the lighting it changes the mood, our view was of the Colosseum, nelsons column and of the millennium eye. Really really nice and unsual.

We didn't really stay so much in the room to fully enjoy its facilities though.

Would recommend this hotel over, service is great and staff are fabulous. Nicole made our trip.

WONDERFUL..

Room Tip: Rooms have lots of light in them, they are very clean, comfortable and spacious. Our room had wonder...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
nicole_messham, Guest Relations Manager at St Martins Lane London Hotel, responded to this review, 20 January 2014
Dear G4R,

Thank you for your glowing review of your experience at St Martins Lane – I am delighted to hear that we achieved what we set out to achieve and that is to create an engaging dynamic experience for every single guest. I am thrilled when I am personally involved in creating a surprise for one’s partner it brings joy to my day.

Our mood lighting is fantastic and creates a wonderful romantic ambience in the room – perfect for special occasions. I appreciate your recommendations and I can’t wait to welcome you and your partner back to St Martins Lane please feel free to reach me on Nicole.messham@mhgc.com when your are planning to return.

Nicole

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (446)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2014

Sunday I woke to the faint sound of church bells, am I dreaming, no - I open the window to hear this beautiful sound -the' Oranges & Lemons' nursery rhyme in my head, priceless.
Overall though this hotel wasn't my cup of tea, which was just as well because if you want tea you have to do the dreaded room service, why oh why do some boutique hotels not give tea/coffee in the room.
The room itself was created by a reader of 'Wallpaper' magazine -stark white, flowerpot nailed to the wall, bulky chipboard TV/Minibar in the shape of crucifix, ridiculously large sink. Gloomy low lit corridors. So at a price range at the Seasons end of the market, for me there's better options.
But what do I know, the place was busy with quietly moneyed guests. The staff team were organised and there is a lively bar/disco. Its also undeniably a great location for a stay in London

Room Tip: Upper floors quieter & have more light
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
896andrewc, Manager at St Martins Lane London Hotel, responded to this review, 30 January 2014
Dear TheEvaluatorLondon

I am sorry to read that St Martins Lane was not your “cup of tea”.

St Martins Lane is part of Morgans Hotel Group which many years ago when our first Hotel opened ‘coined’ the term - Boutique Hotel. Since Morgans opening all of your Hotels have been individually designed to capture the story of the building and the city the Hotel is within. For St Martins Lane it is the floor to ceiling windows that bring the West End into the room hence the white walls and for the terracotta pot with planted begonias this celebrates some of the history of the nearby Covent Garden. Frenchman Philippe Starck was the designer that bought St Martins Lane to life and his ‘style’ is evident in some bespoke one off design pieces like our bathroom sinks (his take on a large traditional style English country farmhouse washbasin).

TheEvaluatorLondon, there is quite an interesting reason as to why our corridors have lighting at a low level directed at the floor plus the Cross-Shaped Armoire in the bedrooms. If you choose to stay at St Martins Lane again please contact me as I would love the opportunity of sharing the design story with you – it is in my opinion very clever and certainly far different from a ‘typical’ Hotel.

Kind regards
Andrew
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2014

I did not enjoy my stay in this hotel. The member of staff at check in was quite rude and dismissive. I was expecting a room with one double bed but was told there were two beds, but that was no problem, I could have a double bed, for another fifty pounds! I choose not too. The room itself looked smart, however one of the lights did not work, which made it quite dark. My main issue with the room, is that the soundproofing was terrible. I was woken several times in the night by people talking outside in the alleyway alongside the hotel. What was worse was that construction work was going on next door and people began drilling/riveting scaffolding at 6am. I complained about the noise, at first the staff did not believe me and said it was impossible that the work would start at 6am. I can read a watch, it was 6am. Then they said they would love to offer me some money off my bill, but they couldn't. Great. Why say that at all then? There was an offer to give me a higher up room next time. But overall I sensed they really didn't care about what I said or even believe it. Would not stay again, so many better Five star hotels in London.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank tomcrooke
Dear Tom,

I am disappointed to read that you were unhappy with your recent experience at St Martins Lane and I am so sorry that your stay with us was not as comfortable or relaxing as it should have been. I can only apologise that you were disturbed by noise whilst you were with us and I can assure you that our front office team did not intend to offend you when you told them about it.

We are all dedicated to doing our utmost to make sure our guests are happy and comfortable whilst they are with us so we are very sorry for letting you down on this occasion. I really would like the opportunity to restore your faith in us and ask that you contact me directly on nicole.messham@mhgc.com so that I can personally oversee your next stay.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2014

Excellent hotel, hotel was spotlessly clean, with a fantastic location, so central to everything. As other reviewers commented the beds were extremely comfortable with top quality linen and when we asked for our room to swapped for a room with a bath we were upgraded and request was dealt with quickly. I am unable to comment on the food as we thought breakfast at £25.00 was a little expensive so we eat next door at the Cote Brassiere which was £22.00 for both of us and very good. Only downside of hotel is no external signage so not easy to locate and corridors slightly to dark, also you could hear the next door bedroom using bathroom !!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
nicole_messham, Guest Relations Manager at St Martins Lane London Hotel, responded to this review, 13 January 2014
Katy, we are so delighted that you had an amazing experience at St Martins Lane. Our stand alone bathtubs are super luxurious and allow for optimum relaxation.
We very much hope you have the opportunity to return to us in future as we would love to welcome you back. Please contact me at nicole.messham@mhgc.com when you would like to make a reservation and I will ensure you have everything you need during your next visit. We really look forward to seeing you again.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2014

St Martins is an excellent hotel in a superb location just steps away from the Charring Cross station. Excellent food and entertainment options in this neighborhood. St. Martins is a "ultra modern" minimalist hotel. Its a slight step above the Sanderson owned by the same chain.

Really nice hotel rooms. Well appointed with GREAT showers and comfortable beds. They light a little candle in the bathroom on turn down service which is nice to come home to. Breakfast is anywhere from fair to good for London. Room service is the same. I did not get the same flavor of the super friendly staff here. Front desk guy in the morning had a little attitude (which after an international flight is annoying.) Rather, I got the sense that they were generally attentive, but that is all.

Negatives: Thin walls and plenty of late night revelers at this hotel is a big miss. Hotels like this tend to attract that 4AM crowd. Give me some earplugs at least. Don't push on the revolving door. No signs that it is automatic, but if you push you will get stuck.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Dear BackpackGuy007,

We are so glad you enjoyed so much St Martins Lane has to offer and hope that you have the opportunity to come to visit us again soon. Please let me know when you intend to return so that I can help with your booking, my email address is nicole.messham@mhgc.com and I am
looking forward to hearing from you.

Kidderminster, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed here last week with my Daughter , purchased hotel on lastminute.com couldn't believe the offer - Fantastic location 5 min walking distance to both the shows we were seeing. Staff excellent, attentive and very friendly ( receptionist and doormen were exceptional the best service I have ever received in a London hotel) Room excellent daughter loved the lighting and decor - small issue with room service quickly resolved and not an issue . Would have liked comps drinks tray in room and would have been disappointed if had paid full price. However we will be back for out next stay with or without a special offer -- thank you to you all for a lovely stay wish it was longer.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Dear Sharon,

Thank you for your review. It is lovely to hear that you and your daughter had a fantastic experience at St Martins Lane .You are correct in stating that there are not tea and coffee making facilities in our rooms; however I am pleased that you saw card situated beside the desk telephone stating that if you would like a tray it would be delivered to your room and can be used for the entire stay.

I’m glad you are looking forward to returning to us and I look forward to seeing you again, please email me at nicole.messham@mhgc.com once you have made the booking so I can personally oversee your reservation.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2014

It's not often I feel compelled to write a review, but I have stayed at the St Martin's Lane Hotel three times in the last six months and the reason I keep coming back is because of the staff. Those of you who travel a lot, as I do, will find that the welcome and care offered by the staff of this hotel is second to none. From the moment you check in to the moment you check out, you feel as though you're their top priority. They remember little details about you from your last stay which really makes the place feel like home and the staff feel like friends. I can't speak highly enough of Nicole and Ed in particular who are just a joy and highly efficient!

As everyone has commented, the hotel is in such a great central location and convenient for tourists and business travellers alike. Hotel guests have access to Gymbox, the gym next door which is arguably the best gym in London with a fantastic array of classes and equipment (boxing ring, power plates, trampolines even!) As many have commented, the rooms are on the small side but they're very well appointed with great Malin & Goetz products for the product junkies among us! Housekeeping does an amazing job at this hotel - they're incredibly discreet and are in and out of your room very quickly but they're super efficient at the same time. The hotel restaurant, Asia di Cuba, remains one of my favourite restaurants - you can't beat the Cuban BBQ chicken followed by the Mexican doughnuts! Again, the staff here are friendly and efficient, remembering not just your name but what tea you drink in the morning, which room number etc. Finally, the decor of the hotel is just cool, the vibe is lively if you want it to be, but equally it's a great place to just chill out.
I love staying at the St Martin's Lane hotel. As a former Londoner turned Californian this is always my hotel of choice when I am back in town. It has the cool factor without the pretension and just has great people working there!

Room Tip: Best to choose a high floor if you want some peace and quiet
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Dear SunnyDayz,

Thank you for such amazing an amazing review and feedback! It really is the highest praise we can receive - tells us we're doing the job right! Your fresh perspective is invaluable to us. Maintaining our consistent service and ensuring that every guest is treated like family are always at the top of our priority list. I will be sure to pass on all your glowing comments to each department mentioned.

I'm so glad you felt at home in St Martins Lane and I look forward to welcoming you back. This area of Covent Garden is my favourite it comes comes alive every day and there is so much to do. The Mexican donuts combined with the butterscotch sauce are a sensation – I recommend everyone try them once in their life!

Please let me know when you are planning to return so I can personally oversee your stay from now on you can reach me on nicole.messham@mhgc.com anytime.

I look forward to welcoming you back.

Warmest Regards,