“Wow”

St Martins Lane London Hotel
Ranked #78 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Second time we've stayed at St Martins Lane hotel and will definitely be coming back.
Once again, we could not fault a thing. The staff are very friendly, attentive and make you feel like part of their "family".
We stayed in a garden room on 1st floor, which was very charming and the room is incredibly well laid out.
Our friends also stayed with us for the first time, through our recommendation, and both thoroughly enjoyed it. They will also be going back in the near future.
We had drinks in the bar first then dined in Asia de Cuba. Again, the staff could not have been more helpful and nothing was ever too much trouble. Food was excellent and more than enough for the four of us.
We would really love to keep this hotel a secret but you must experience it for yourself.
The team makes this hotel above all others, for which we cannot thank them enough.
It's always our pleasure to stay there. A real classy place.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
nicole_messham, Guest Relations Manager at St Martins Lane London Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2014

Dear Angelique O,

Thank you for your incredibly kind words about your recent stay at St Martins Lane. You are part of the family now and we thoroughly enjoyed having you inhouse. It is always uplifting to know our guests enjoyed their experience with us, and I am pleased to see this was the case for you. I hope to continue this trend with you so please do not hesitate to reach out to me when you are interested in returning. You can contact me at nicole.messham@mhgc.com. I can’t wait to hear from you.

Warmest regards,

Nicole Messham

Write a ReviewReviews (2,831)

Reviewed 21 April 2014

We have just returned from a couple of nights at this hotel we checked in and were given a friendly welcome by Isabelle on reception

We were allocated a room on the 5th floor on entering the room I must admit we were disappointed at the size of the room. My wife has mobility issues and it was difficult to move around the room with crutches as floor space was very limited. Yes it was a standard room but have stayed in larger standard rooms in this area previously at the Charing Cross Hotel and The Waldorf. A quick call to reception and a few quid more we moved to a delux room which was marginally bigger with a view of the coliseum side exit and the London eye in the distance

The new room was clean with a comfortable bed with the usual over priced minibar, but that is standard around the area.

The location of the place was superb it is ideally placed for the theatres, bars, restaurants and the usual tourist attractions, just off Trafalgar Square on a reasonably quiet road just away from the real hustle and bustle.

Due to my wife's mobility issues we made use of room service, cheese burger and club sandwich, both adequate. Breakfast the next morning in the room was a little bit of a let down really the food was lukewarm the bacon had the appearance and texture that it had been kept warm for a long time as it was very dry and chewy not crisp as I suspect it was in the time before it arrived at the room. I noted there was a 15% service charge and a £3.75 tray charge which took breakfast to over £60. I resent paying a service charge when a tray charge is implemented its one or the other as far as I am concerned, if I like the service I tip the server not the hotel.

There were a couple of quirky bits in the hotel, in the lifts there are 3 mini tv screens displaying a reflection of a tree on moving water, with some weird music which could be likened to a bad 1970's acid trip!!

There were a couple of little niggles, the corridors although nicely decorated are very dark, the curtains were very difficult to close in the room, the blinds that are encased in the double glazing could not be closed as there was no tool in the room to do this, one thing that was annoying was that all the sockets are very low to the floor in a pretty inaccessible place close to the desk also no socket near the bed, most people have mobiles they charge overnight which dual as their time piece/alarm clock it's a bit of a pain, perhaps a design floor as all other hotels I have stayed in have had a socket in this area.

All in all though ok I suppose, just didn't light my fire, a bit soulless but that's the contemporary design I think. Would I stay again? Yes I would but only if the Charing cross Hotel was full

Room Tip: Don't book a standard room it's worth paying a little extra
2  Thank Andyboy4
nicole_messham, Guest Relations Manager at St Martins Lane London Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

Dear Andyboy4,

Thank you for your descriptive overview of your experience at St Martins Lane. I am glad you were able to take full advantage of our central location and experience all London has to offer. It was beautiful weather this Easter break and it really made London come alive.

Our lovely Isabel is a St Martins Lane legend and I am so glad you were able to experience her friendliness and warmth on check-in, however I am sad to read that you were disappointed with your room choice on arrival. Please get in touch with me when you are planning to stay again so that I can do my best to ensure you are allocated a room which will be more comfortable for your wife as we do have a range of room categories which may be more suitable.

You will be delighted to know that we are currently having our guest rooms refreshed, the new design is modern, retaining St Martins Lane iconic style but offering more comfort along with the latest technology. With this design update we now have plug sockets and USB sockets located close to the bedside.

Our low lighting in the elevator and corridors is intended to give a calming effect as you continue your journey from the lobby, so that the feeling of escaping reality is continued. The elevator is aimed to be a decompression chamber and the videos are designed to take your mind away from the activities of the lobby area to the new experience you are about to have when you enter your room.

I would really love the opportunity to showcase what St Martins Lane is really about, so please do contact me directly when you intend to return so that I personally oversee your stay. You can reach me on Nicole.messham@mhgc.com. I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 20 April 2014

I stayed here for one night in a deluxe room. At check-in the receptionist tried to entice us to purchase another upgrade to a studio. The sales pitch was nauseating, all we wanted was to check-in swiftly and then head out. Only 1 small bottle of mineral water was supplied in our room and sleep was disturbed by noisy guests from nearby. Mattress could do with a topper.

Breakfast was delicious (we had the full English) but doesn't come with toast?!

2  Thank poplapi76
nicole_messham, Guest Relations Manager at St Martins Lane London Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2014

Dear poplapi76,

Thank you for taking your time to review your recent stay at St Martins Lane.
We really do appreciate all feedback whether positive or negative, as it helps us to continuously evaluate and monitor the experience received by our guest.

We would like the opportunity to restore your faith in us and hope you reconsider and come back to St Martins Lane on a future occasion. Our guestrooms are currently being refreshed, the new design is luxurious and modern, retaining St Martins Lane iconic style but offering more comfort along with the latest technology.

I would personally like to oversee your visit so I can make sure your next stay exceeds your expectations so please get in touch with me at nicole.messham@mhgc.com if you would like to make a reservation.

We hope to welcome you back to St Martins Lane in the future.

Reviewed 20 April 2014

Grate, central place to Stay when visiting London. Jamies Italian Restaurant not to far from, Covent Garden just around the corner, ...., Superb ! Great Ambiance during the day, Great breakfast, Nice Staff, big bathroom with a Bath Tub in the Center :) Nice to relax ! Great Ride !

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Pedroparracho7

Dear Pedroparracho7,

Thank you for your wonderful review of your recent visit to St Martins Lane.

We are so glad that you have so many amazing things to say about St Martins Lane. Our staff are dedicated to creating memorable experiences so it is wonderful to read you had such a great time with us.

Please let me know when you plan to return so I can make sure you have another fabulous visit – you can reach me on Nicole.messham@mhgc.com

Reviewed 19 April 2014

We stayed 3 nights specifically for theatre performances, there was an issue with our booking as we were 2 adults and 1 child booked via hotel.com however child was not advised via the booking to the hotel. That made a not so great start for us however after a while staff sorted it and we were given a room suitable for us.

The hotel is mega mega funky and modern art decor (not our style) with staff adopting funky upmarket approaches (again not our style) but fascinating nevertheless.

We had some decor issues with our room of bumping into artistically placed lights that were at very low levels, however as above the funk design makes it unique.

The location, location, location was fantastic for us we walked to all three theaters, and even though funk staff and design is not our style we are likely to stay again for another theatre season due to the fresh, sharp cleanness of the rooms and absolute perfect location.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Sonjabs
nicole_messham, Guest Relations Manager at St Martins Lane London Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2014

Dear Sonjabs,

I am so pleased the team were able to quickly organise a comfortable room for your family, and that you loved our location right in the heart of Theatreland.

I fully appreciate that our design is not always to everyone’s preference. If you choose to stay at St Martins Lane in the future or are just visiting London for the day (and have time) I would love to share with you the design ethos of the Hotel.

We do hope you have the opportunity to visit us again to see our new look as we are sure you will be impressed. Please contact me at nicole.messham@mhgc.com if you would like any assistance with future reservations.

We hope to welcome you back to St Martins Lane.

Reviewed 19 April 2014

After a bad experience at St Martin's Lane in the new year we gave it another go at the invitation of the hotel. I'm happy to report that this stay was much better. The lovely people there even dropped complimentary champagne and strawberries to our room while we were out for dinner on our first evening. Any hotel can have an off weekend but this hotel handled the problem very well and we will definitely stay again

Dear jellybeens,

I am delighted to hear we have reignited your faith in us.

Sharing your experience by telling the Tripadvisor community that you will return to St Martins Lane is a huge compliment for us. We are so pleased that our team helped to create such a fantastic experience for you as we are devoted to ensuring our guests receive a truly unique and magical stay when they are with us.

Come back soon! Please let me know when you plan to return- you can reach me on nicole.messham@mhgc.com

Warmest Regrads,

Reviewed 18 April 2014

We arrived late afternoon, parking was very convenient under the hotel. Funky Philipe Starck interior, still lots of Ooh factor after 10 years use. The staff were delightful, it felt like we were abroad on holiday, nothing was too much trouble. Room service was speedy, lots of tea & a stack of home baked biscuits. Room facilities are clever & fun, not brand new but still in good order. Really comfortable bed. Great cocktail bar, breakfast to die for, didn't want to leave...oh and superb location. Right on the edge of Trafalgar Square, walking distance for theatre, shopping, restaurants.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jane J

Dear Jane J,

This was an absolute pleasure to read. I was enchanted by the way you described your experience at St Martin Lane.
It sounds like you had an incredible time with us and you really enjoyed all areas of our hospitality. For being 14 years old I think our product is keeping up well, and you’ll be excited to hear our guestrooms are currently being refreshed - the new design is luxurious and modern, retaining our iconic style along with the latest technology – so next time you come stay with us, we’ll be all new!

Please let me know when you plan to return –you can reach me nicole.messham@mhgc.com