“BEST OF THE BEST MODERN HOTEL”

St Martins Lane London Hotel
Ranked #75 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Cannot say enough on how we enjoy this hotel and keep going back. Very modern and minimalistic hotel, yet extremely comfortable and great value for money, even considering it is a top end 5 star rated and priced Central London hotel. Staff are extremely friendly and always very helpful, very often making you smile, even when you are feeling down. Breakfast exceptional. Highly recommend you eat for dinner at their restaurant, Asia de Cuba also but remember what the staff say, "1 main meal between 2 is more than enough". Only downside is try and not stay in a standard room, as a little small but upgrade and rooms are plenty big enough. Try a suite for that special occassion, top room in a top hotel in great part of Central London, couldn't ask for more.

Room Tip: Try and upgrade from the smaller standard rooms
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank David1510784
nicole_messham, Guest Relations Manager at St Martins Lane London Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2014

Dear David1510784,

Thank you for your great review of your most recent visit to St Martins Lane. We love to hear from our regular guests and it is always rewarding when they say how much they enjoy their time with us. Thank you for recommending St Martins Lane, and also giving your tips on Asia de Cuba! I am really glad that our staff cheer you up and make you smile, we always aim to serve our guests in a fun, friendly and attentive manner so your review is much appreciated. We hope you come to stay with us again soon and I would be delighted to make your next visit even more memorable so please email me at Nicole.messham@mhgc.com when you have a date in mind to return. We look forward to welcoming you back to St Martins Lane.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

It was our anniversary, and we booked a night at St Martins, and it was marvellous. The room was awesome , with a view over the London Skyline. They had very kindly prepared the Room as per my requests, with the added touch of flower petals arranged over the bed and surrounding the bath, a very kind and thoughtful touch. The room has had a recent makeover and is simply fabulous. Went to the Light Bar for wonderful cocktails, wonderful evening and the most comfortable nights sleep.
What really sets this hotel apart is the " Can Do" attitude of each staff member, coupled with best Front of House Team of any hotel I have encountered,
Big thank you

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lamb735

Dear Edward186338,

We are thrilled you chose to celebrate your anniversary at St Martins Lane and glad you enjoyed the extra special touches we added to ensure your stay was romantic and memorable. It is a huge compliment for you to say that our attentive service makes such a difference to our guests as we always want our guests to feel warm and welcome when they are with us. We all hope that you have the opportunity to return again soon as we would love to welcome you back. Please email me at Nicole.messham@mhgc.com when you would like to make a reservation so that I can personally oversee your stay.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

Very centrally located, friendly staff and decent service. Mood lighting in the hallways which is trendy but a little dark, very nicely appointed rooms and I particularly like the bathrooms. Excellent A/C. I would probably opt for a room on a higher floor to get away from the outside street noise but overall I felt this hotel was very nice and I would certainly come back.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Jalex07216

Dear Jalex07216

I am so glad you enjoyed our central location, friendly service and comfortable guestrooms. We look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in London and if you contact me when are you intending to return I can do my best to ensure you are allocated a room on a higher floor, contact me at Nicole.messham@mhgc.com. We hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 4 May 2014

I booked this hotel for my husband's birthday and we weren't disappointed. Friendly and helpful staff, who seemed genuinely interested in making our stay a pleasurable experience. The room was amazing and the bed was probably the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in. Close to the theatre and underground, and many major attractions. We would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: We were on the second floor, so just had a view of the side of the Coliseum, but the room was very q...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Zoe P

Thank you for your great review of your time at St Martins Lane. I am so pleased you chose to celebrate your husband’s birthday with us as we do love to create an unforgettable and unique experiences, especially when guests are staying with us for a special occasion. It is great to read that you intend to return, please get in touch with me directly when you have a date in mind so I can personally oversee your stay. My email address is Nicole.messham@mhgc.com and I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 23 April 2014

There are many things to love about this hotel; its location is superb, being walking distance to many sites and very convenient to many tube stations. The room and bathroom were large, spacious and clean with excellent hvac. So what's wrong? We were a family visiting London for the first time and needed help. The concierges were nice but maybe just too cool and flippant. Bad addresses, wrong days for events they recommended, inappropriate restaurant recommendations and what not. One day they had limited hours because it was a bank holiday???? There is also an underlying feeling that the hotel is looking to take advantage. They are the only hotel we encountered in our search that quoted prices exclusive of VAT and food at the hotel was obscenely priced. That was not an issue for breakfast as there are many reasonably price options just out the door but really... So if you are self sufficient and like cool, this can be a great choice. Otherwise, I would look elsewhere.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank NyMaxdad
nicole_messham, Guest Relations Manager at St Martins Lane London Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2014

Dear NyMaxdad,

Thank you for your review. Please allow to apologize that your stay did not go over as well as it should have. While it is apparent you experienced several inconsistencies during your stay, this is not typical of St Martins Lane or its service.

We pride ourselves on creating lasting impressions and forging everlasting bonds with our guests. I would greatly appreciate the opportunity of having you stay with us again; I will it my personal goal to completely change your impression of St Martins Lane for the best. I invite you to contact me directly at nicole.messham@mhgc.com when you are planning to return.

Warmest Regards,

Reviewed 22 April 2014

Second time we've stayed at St Martins Lane hotel and will definitely be coming back.
Once again, we could not fault a thing. The staff are very friendly, attentive and make you feel like part of their "family".
We stayed in a garden room on 1st floor, which was very charming and the room is incredibly well laid out.
Our friends also stayed with us for the first time, through our recommendation, and both thoroughly enjoyed it. They will also be going back in the near future.
We had drinks in the bar first then dined in Asia de Cuba. Again, the staff could not have been more helpful and nothing was ever too much trouble. Food was excellent and more than enough for the four of us.
We would really love to keep this hotel a secret but you must experience it for yourself.
The team makes this hotel above all others, for which we cannot thank them enough.
It's always our pleasure to stay there. A real classy place.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Angelique O,

Thank you for your incredibly kind words about your recent stay at St Martins Lane. You are part of the family now and we thoroughly enjoyed having you inhouse. It is always uplifting to know our guests enjoyed their experience with us, and I am pleased to see this was the case for you. I hope to continue this trend with you so please do not hesitate to reach out to me when you are interested in returning. You can contact me at nicole.messham@mhgc.com. I can’t wait to hear from you.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed 21 April 2014

We have just returned from a couple of nights at this hotel we checked in and were given a friendly welcome by Isabelle on reception

We were allocated a room on the 5th floor on entering the room I must admit we were disappointed at the size of the room. My wife has mobility issues and it was difficult to move around the room with crutches as floor space was very limited. Yes it was a standard room but have stayed in larger standard rooms in this area previously at the Charing Cross Hotel and The Waldorf. A quick call to reception and a few quid more we moved to a delux room which was marginally bigger with a view of the coliseum side exit and the London eye in the distance

The new room was clean with a comfortable bed with the usual over priced minibar, but that is standard around the area.

The location of the place was superb it is ideally placed for the theatres, bars, restaurants and the usual tourist attractions, just off Trafalgar Square on a reasonably quiet road just away from the real hustle and bustle.

Due to my wife's mobility issues we made use of room service, cheese burger and club sandwich, both adequate. Breakfast the next morning in the room was a little bit of a let down really the food was lukewarm the bacon had the appearance and texture that it had been kept warm for a long time as it was very dry and chewy not crisp as I suspect it was in the time before it arrived at the room. I noted there was a 15% service charge and a £3.75 tray charge which took breakfast to over £60. I resent paying a service charge when a tray charge is implemented its one or the other as far as I am concerned, if I like the service I tip the server not the hotel.

There were a couple of quirky bits in the hotel, in the lifts there are 3 mini tv screens displaying a reflection of a tree on moving water, with some weird music which could be likened to a bad 1970's acid trip!!

There were a couple of little niggles, the corridors although nicely decorated are very dark, the curtains were very difficult to close in the room, the blinds that are encased in the double glazing could not be closed as there was no tool in the room to do this, one thing that was annoying was that all the sockets are very low to the floor in a pretty inaccessible place close to the desk also no socket near the bed, most people have mobiles they charge overnight which dual as their time piece/alarm clock it's a bit of a pain, perhaps a design floor as all other hotels I have stayed in have had a socket in this area.

All in all though ok I suppose, just didn't light my fire, a bit soulless but that's the contemporary design I think. Would I stay again? Yes I would but only if the Charing cross Hotel was full

Room Tip: Don't book a standard room it's worth paying a little extra
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Andyboy4
nicole_messham, Guest Relations Manager at St Martins Lane London Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

Dear Andyboy4,

Thank you for your descriptive overview of your experience at St Martins Lane. I am glad you were able to take full advantage of our central location and experience all London has to offer. It was beautiful weather this Easter break and it really made London come alive.

Our lovely Isabel is a St Martins Lane legend and I am so glad you were able to experience her friendliness and warmth on check-in, however I am sad to read that you were disappointed with your room choice on arrival. Please get in touch with me when you are planning to stay again so that I can do my best to ensure you are allocated a room which will be more comfortable for your wife as we do have a range of room categories which may be more suitable.

You will be delighted to know that we are currently having our guest rooms refreshed, the new design is modern, retaining St Martins Lane iconic style but offering more comfort along with the latest technology. With this design update we now have plug sockets and USB sockets located close to the bedside.

Our low lighting in the elevator and corridors is intended to give a calming effect as you continue your journey from the lobby, so that the feeling of escaping reality is continued. The elevator is aimed to be a decompression chamber and the videos are designed to take your mind away from the activities of the lobby area to the new experience you are about to have when you enter your room.

I would really love the opportunity to showcase what St Martins Lane is really about, so please do contact me directly when you intend to return so that I personally oversee your stay. You can reach me on Nicole.messham@mhgc.com. I look forward to hearing from you.

Warmest Regards,