“Fantastic stay”

St Martins Lane London Hotel
Ranked #77 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 27 July 2014

One night stay was faultless and excellent value. We took advantage of the summer in the city break and had champagne and a delicious breakfast included for £199. We had a room upgrade which was fantastic, light, bright spacious room and large, immaculate bathroom. Nicole on the front desk set the tone for all the staff we encountered - super friendly and professional. Glad we chose to eat in the restaurant as well - went for the pre-theatre menu, which was delicious and served in a pleasant setting and very promptly. In a great location, would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kate C
nicole_messham, Guest Relations Manager at St Martins Lane London Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Dear Kate,

Thank you so much for your lovely review of your recent weekend at St Martins Lane.
Our new Summer in the City package is a wonderful way to experience all we have to offer- who doesn’t love bubbly!

I’m delighted to read that you found our rooms comfortable, light and spacious. Asia de Cuba is divine! Next time you return you should try the Ceviche or Octopus…they are my favourite.

My colleagues and I cannot wait to welcome you back. Please let me know when you plan to return. You can reach me on nicole.messham@mhgc.com.

Nicole Messham

Reviewed 27 July 2014

My mum and I decided on a trip up to london from Guildford so we booked into St Martins. We arrived early, were upgraded and able to check in immediately. The staff were beyond friendly and extremally helpful. Our room was gorgeous and we had a very comfortable sleep. A lovely place to stay

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank KateSouthgate

Dear Kate,

Thank you so much for your response Kate. It was a pleasure to meet you and your mother this weekend and I am delighted to hear you had such a wonderful stay and even more happy to hear that you shall be re-joining us soon.

I am so glad all the staff you encountered were friendly; this is something we really pride ourselves on.

We will see you soon,

All the best,

Reviewed 25 July 2014

We were visiting London on a very special theatre trip. We arrived early but our room was ready and the staff were exceedingly friendly. They offered information on the area, restaurants etc. and when they were told the name of the restaurant we had booked for dinner, gave us recommendations on their favourite dishes on the menu. Our room was excellent with a very comfortable bed, great mood lighting and a very good and clean bathroom. The hotel is in theatre land and is in a very busy area but we were pleasantly surprised at its quietness. On a very hot day in London the air conditioning was very welcome. We will return when we need a good centrally located hotel with great service.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Ian R,

Thank you so much for sharing that you had a fantastic time at St Martins Lane. It means a lot that you are sharing this with the Trip Advisor community. I am delighted we were able to accommodate your early arrival. You have touched upon every point that makes St Martins Lane so special – our location ,our staff and our incredible product.

I am delighted that you will return to us, so please let me know when you are planning your trip.
You can reach me on nicole.messham@mhgc.com.

I look forward to hearing from you,

Reviewed 25 July 2014

This was my second stay here. Gave it another try and checked into a redecorated room on back side of hotel. It was really quiet with view of back street and overlooking garage entrance. No earplugs needed.

Good:

For London the room was huge with kind size bed, bed side tables on both sides, big desk, empty fridge, big bathroom with separate shower and tub. Like extra sheves in bathroom - lots of room to put everything away.

Excllent Air conditioning, a good thing because it was hottest day of year while I was there. Requested kettle and tea services was brought to room at check in. Room was ready early - good thing because plane arrived at 7AM at Heathrow.

Weird: a duvet on bed suitable for blizzard conditions in middle of summer. We asked that it be replaced with sheets/blanket and then it was fine.

Not so hot: must get out of bed to turn off bedside reading lights. There was a wierd smell in room - suspect it might have been new carpeting. The dimly lit hallways are so 1980's/tired. Come on, put in some brighter lightbulbs!

Concierge recommendations for restaurants were not great - the two worst meals I had in London were places within close walking distance of hotel: avoid Giovanni's overpriced bland Italian.

Great spot nearby: Brown's a block up the street for breakfast - that was offering a two for one British breakfast deal. Brown's is also a hot spot for drinks and snacks pre- or post theatre.

Room Tip: if you want quiet, ask for room on back side of hotel vs. front area. High floor vs. low floor to a...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank highlandbride
Andrew C, Manager at St Martins Lane London Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Dear Highland Bride

Thank you for choosing to return to St Martins for your recent trip to London and for sharing your experience.

Highland Bride, I am really pleased that you liked room 123. Our first floor bedroom refurbishment finished at the end of April with extra comfort being added without compromising the design therefore during our correspondence prior to your arrival I was confident that you would find it comfortable. I understand your comment regarding our 10 tog duvets however London receives a handful of high 20 degree plus days per annum thus temperature is manageable by our excellent air-conditioning system and windows that open – something that is reasonably rare these days in Hotel rooms.

St Martins Lane has a wonderful central West End location with literally 100’s of restaurants, bars and pubs on our doorstop. Whilst I am saddened that you did not enjoy the ‘local’ authentic Italian within close walking distance that our Concierge recommended, I am pleased that another local became a favourite of yours.

Highland Bride, again thank you for choosing to return to St Martins Lane.

Warm regards
Andrew

Reviewed 24 July 2014

My wife, son and myself are just back from a weeks stay (our first time). I booked this hotel purely based on location and quirkiness (I work in the creative industry). It didn't disappoint. Fantastic, bit of a hiccup with room allocation at the start but the hotel manager was excellent, she went above and beyond to make sure we were happy by allocating us new rooms. Staff were great, food excellent along with the service. To keep its 5 star status the hotel needs to reform some of the rooms. The deluxe double that we were in has marks on the walls, a a power socket a ground level had been kicked in. The table that should light up had shorted at the plug also. However I believe the hotel are in the process of a refurbishment program.
Would I recommend this hotel: YES
Would I go back: YES

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank awhite6000

Dear A White,

This is such a charming read and to finish with your response: Yes - you would come back has made my day! It means a lot to my colleagues and I to know we have positively impacted on your experience. We cannot wait to welcome you back.

You will be delighted to know that we are currently going through a period of transition. To date, nearly 45% of our bedrooms have undergone a considerable refresh (including the corridors) with another 15% due to be completed next month. I cannot wait for you to see our newly refreshed product.

I’m sure that once you return, you shall be a St Martins Lane fan for life.
Please let me know when you plan to return so that I can personally manage your booking, to ensure you have another fabulous stay.

Nicole Messham

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Just back from London and stayed at the St Martins Lane again for the 6th time. Love this hotel, extremely friendly staff, very helpful. Love the location to the West End and transportation hubs. Even received an upgrade on my room. Very nice, and thank you! Hope to stay again next year!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
nicole_messham, Guest Relations Manager at St Martins Lane London Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Dear Frank B,

We love that you love St Martins Lane! Thank you so much for your loyalty, we are honoured that you choose to stay with us so regularly and are looking forward to the next time you stay. Please make sure you email me at nicole.messham@mhgc.com to let me know when you are staying next so that I can make sure visit number 7 continues to exceed your expectations.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 22 July 2014

We arrived way too early for the standard check in time, but to our surprise, there was already a room for us. We were welcomed like one of their VIP guests and we also felt like one. Our room was spotlessly clean with crisp beddings and comfortable pillows. Bathroom was also very clean, and smells fresh. I commend the cleaning "crew" for their job well done everyday. People at the reception were all kind and helpful. By the way, location of this hotel is really central; theatres, restaurants, shops, underground, tourist attractions, pubs and bus stops are all within walking distance. I'll surely recommend this hotel to my friends, and we hope to be back next year.

• Stayed: July 2014

Dear Cora54,

Thank you for recommending St Martins Lane to your friends and the Tripadvisor community. Your kind review is much appreciated and I am delighted you felt so welcome and at home whilst you were with us as we always want our guests to take away the happiest memories. Thank you for commending our fabulous housekeeping team, as you quite rightly recognised they work so hard to make sure our hotel is spotlessly clean at all times.

It will be a pleasure to welcome you back to St Martins Lane next year, please do let me know when you intend to return so that I can personally oversee your stay. My email address is nicole.messham@mhgc.com and I look forward to hearing from you.

Warm regards,