“The staff make it”

Ranked #78 of 1,064 Hotels in London
Poole, United Kingdom
“The staff make it”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I will not repeat the other good reviews about the amazing location, rooms, design, etc. except to say that I agree with them.

But to me the thing that made, and nearly always does make, our stay stand out was the staff. I met three reception staff and they were all brilliant....they must have degree level qualifications in interpersonal skills!! Nicole was exceptional.

The bellmen were unstintingly willing to help and the concierge was very knowledgeable when asked.
Top job, management .....well done. Looking forward to our next stay.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Andrew C, Manager at St Martins Lane London Hotel, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Dear Dorset Blue

Thank you for your wonderful review.

There are a lot of factors involved with delivering great guest experience - excellent location, attentive Housekeeping, lots of choice with regard to facilities, wonderful design etc however I believe gracious team members who like meeting new people and connecting with them makes the biggest impact. We have some real stars at St Martins Lane and I am so pleased that you met some of them during your stay with us.

Warm regards
Andrew

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (461)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Poole, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Just spent one night in this quirky, lovely hotel but wished it was longer. We received a very warm welcome from all staff we came into contact with. Our room was ready early and although quite small it had everything that was required with a large, very clean and well equipped bathroom. The location is fabulous within easy walking distance of theatres, Coventry Garden, bars and restaurants. Considering we were right in the heart of London's night life on a busy summer Saturday night our room was peaceful and quiet and the amazingly comfortable bed made for a great nights sleep. I have stayed in many London hotels but this is definitely the best, I will be back.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
nicole_messham, Guest Relations Manager at St Martins Lane London Hotel, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Dear Pompeysue50,

We wished you had stayed longer! Come back soon and for longer this time.
I am very happy to see you enjoyed your experience with us. I would like to personally extend myself as your St Martins Lane ally, so whenever you are interested in returning you can reach out to me directly.

You can reach me on nicole.messham@mhgc.com.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Bury St Edmunds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

Having stayed at the Sanderson, I had high expectations for the St Martins Lane and I wasn't disappointed.

We stayed in a room with a small private garden and the room was spacious and the bed very comfortable. If you enjoy a good shower then the one in our room at least could almost blow you off your feet!

Staff were friendly and helpful and sent my wife a birthday slice of chocolate cake which was a nice touch.

We didn't sample the bar or resturant as we had a busy day about town and my wife is pregnant.

The location was very convenient for theatre land and not too far from Oxford Street on foot if you want to head that way.

Overall an excellent experience.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Dpjrichards
nicole_messham, Guest Relations Manager at St Martins Lane London Hotel, responded to this review, 3 August 2014
Dear Dpjrichards,

Thank you for your great review, I am so pleased that you have now had two excellent experiences at both properties in London. I am so glad that our friendly staff, fantastic location and comfortable guestrooms make your time at St Martins Lane so enjoyable.

Who doesn't love cake!

If there is anything I can do to make sure the next time you stay even more pleasurable please let me know at nicole.messham@mhgc.com.

I look forward to welcomig you back.

San Francisco, California
Reviewed 30 July 2014

My boyfriend and I travel quite a bit and this is by far our favourite hotel! The room is faultless, quiet, warm and light filled by day - pitch black and very quiet by night. The room we stayed in was on the fifth floor and had a great view through the rooftops. The staff are extremely friendly and are made to feel at home.

Do yourself a favour and be sure to stay here.. will be our only hotel we'll stay in when we visit London.

1 Thank BishySB
Dear BishySB,

Your favourite! What a compliment – thank you so much for your kind words.
I'm so glad we made you feel at home and all staff you encountered were lovely.
We strive to provide a comfortable and memorable experience for our guests and I’m delighted we achieved that with you.

Please let me know when you plan to return. You can reach on nicole.messham@mhgc.com.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We booked the Loft room for my partner's 50th birthday which was worth every penny, having views of the London Eye, the rooftops at night and the most enormous, comfortable bed! The staff were really friendly and helpful, and we were thrilled to have a bottle of champagne delivered to the room courtesy of St Martins Lane with their birthday wishes. A really special treat! The only niggle was no tea or coffee making facilities in the room which would have been very welcome.

1 Thank J0anna112
nicole_messham, Guest Relations Manager at St Martins Lane London Hotel, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Dear Joanna112,

I am so pleased that you chose to celebrate your partners 50th birthday at St Martins Lane.

When our founder Ian Schrager and designer Philippe Starck were creating St Martins Lane one of the key design features was that guests were able to enjoy the West End through our floor to ceiling windows whilst lying on the bed. All these years later I am sure that Ian and Philippe would be pleased that their vision is still being appreciated.

Joanna112, thanks again for allowing us to share this milestone birthday with you and your partner.

Kind regards,

Bunbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2014

One night stay was faultless and excellent value. We took advantage of the summer in the city break and had champagne and a delicious breakfast included for £199. We had a room upgrade which was fantastic, light, bright spacious room and large, immaculate bathroom. Nicole on the front desk set the tone for all the staff we encountered - super friendly and professional. Glad we chose to eat in the restaurant as well - went for the pre-theatre menu, which was delicious and served in a pleasant setting and very promptly. In a great location, would definitely stay here again.

1 Thank Kate C
nicole_messham, Guest Relations Manager at St Martins Lane London Hotel, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Dear Kate,

Thank you so much for your lovely review of your recent weekend at St Martins Lane.
Our new Summer in the City package is a wonderful way to experience all we have to offer- who doesn’t love bubbly!

I’m delighted to read that you found our rooms comfortable, light and spacious. Asia de Cuba is divine! Next time you return you should try the Ceviche or Octopus…they are my favourite.

My colleagues and I cannot wait to welcome you back. Please let me know when you plan to return. You can reach me on nicole.messham@mhgc.com.

Guildford
Reviewed 27 July 2014

My mum and I decided on a trip up to london from Guildford so we booked into St Martins. We arrived early, were upgraded and able to check in immediately. The staff were beyond friendly and extremally helpful. Our room was gorgeous and we had a very comfortable sleep. A lovely place to stay

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank KateSouthgate
Dear Kate,

Thank you so much for your response Kate. It was a pleasure to meet you and your mother this weekend and I am delighted to hear you had such a wonderful stay and even more happy to hear that you shall be re-joining us soon.

I am so glad all the staff you encountered were friendly; this is something we really pride ourselves on.

We will see you soon,