“Cool Hotel, Great Location” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of St Martins Lane London Hotel

St Martins Lane London Hotel
Ranked #73 of 1,087 Hotels in London
Dublin
“Cool Hotel, Great Location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2009

SML is a funky design hotel in the heart of Covent Garden. It's location is excellent with 2 tube stations nearby and most things within walking distance.
The overall design is very modern and of note are the lobby and the lifts as well as the lighting feature in the bedrooms. We stayed in a Deluxe King Room which was bright, clean and spacious. My one criticism is that the curtains barely block any light so bring an eyemask if you want to sleep in late! The bathroom was marble and very large with seperate WC and Shower. Great space for laying out your cosmetics too! And very good lighting options from very bright to candle lit.
The bar is average at best. Not much atmosphere, uncomfortable chairs and closing at 10.30pm on a bank holiday Sunday night!?? But ok as a hotel bar goes. The restaurant on the otherhand is fantastic. Delicious food and incredibly friendly and attentive staff. The door and reception staff were also very helpful.
Would I go there again? Definitely.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CarmenD4
NeilMcMillan, Guest Experience Manager at St Martins Lane London Hotel, responded to this review, 16 June 2009
Would we love to have you back? Definitely!! It’s great to hear that you enjoyed so many aspects of the hotel. Appreciate your disappointment that the bar closed early on the bank holiday, this is currently under review for future UK holidays. Please let us know when you are next staying with us!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (446)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Cork, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2009

This hotel is part of a chain have stayed in 3 other of the hotels so one would hope that the same level of service and continuity would prevail...Sadly not ,felt i was imposing on the staff while staying there..
rooms of a poor standard ,over priced, and like some airlines at every opportunity seeking too extract money (be carefull of mini bar and toiletries prices) overall totally overpriced ,and a London hotel that doesnt care.....

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank MandyGabriel
NeilMcMillan, Guest Experience Manager at St Martins Lane London Hotel, responded to this review, 11 May 2009
It’s very disappointing that we did not make you feel welcome or appreciated as a guest, I’m sorry if we dropped the service ball on this occasion. We do review all our charges in line with our London competitors and our website also offers special packages and promotions. I hope you will consider giving us another chance and please contact me at the hotel if you do make a future booking.
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2009

This hotel impresses from the moment you arrive outside. Greeted by the doorman who opened the door of the taxi and brought in our bags and was more than helpful directing us to the front desk. Staff here were chatty and very friendly too!

Rooms are very comfortable, bright, clean and spacious with lots of gadgets including iPod speakers and a mood light ;) (In fact pretty much the only thing I can fault the room on was the cheap toilet paper lol!)

The Hotel bar is pricey certainly but love the fabulous artwork on the walls :) very dramatic. The food in the restaurant (Asia de Cuba) is a real mix of styles but works so very well especially if you are a fish fan! Totally recommend it, yum!

All round a really wonderful stay and will definitely visit again. Location is just perfect right off Leicester Square!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DublinSar
freshlon, Experience Manager at St Martins Lane London Hotel, responded to this review, 6 May 2009
Thank you so much for your positive comments about the hotel. I am delighted you had such a great stay with and look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to London.
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2009

I stayed at St Martins for three nights the third week in March this year. I knew it would be expensive, it was. I knew I would cringe when I saw the bill, I did. But what a wonderful place, yes I do say it is worth the money. The location is a five min walk to the National Gallery and the Natonal Portrait gallery. If you love art this is a great place. About a 1/2 hour walk you can walk to the British Museum. Soho with its bars, great food and very late night people watching is a blast, and its just blocks away. I can tell it had it's hayday 5 or so years ago, but the design is beautiful, the rooms are very clean and sleek. It was a special place to stay.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank Luckyscout
victoriastewart, Director of Rooms at St Martins Lane London Hotel, responded to this review, 27 May 2009
It’s great to read that you loved the design and location, we hope you will continue to stay with us whenever you are in London and please do contact me if I can be of assistance at any time.
TeamSSSM
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2009

We stayed at the St. Martin's Lane hotel on a Saturday night at the end of March... we wanted to stay somewhere funky and somewhere cool and St. Martin's Lane did deliver. The bar downstairs, the hotel music, the concierge on duty (Victor) and the general ambiance of the hotel was very very cool.

One thing that we must note for any people looking for a "romantic getaway" (and this can be viewed as good or bad) that wish to travel to St. Martin's Lane - the hotel beds are somewhat..... hmmmm.... noisy. The beds are made of metal... the metal joints rubbed against each other and rattled like a 9.5 Richter scale (and that is not boasting about bedroom skills honestly ;) ) One thing that you’ll not find noted in any review is that the stairwell next to the lifts are seldom utilised by the staff and offer sanctuary for those "romantics" who wish for a little quietness from the bed and a little naughtiness ;)

All in all though, we would highly recommend this hotel !

TeamSSSM

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
We love that you loved us! As we don’t want to go completely off the Richter scale, we’re currently replacing some beds and mattresses! Hope you have a chance to come back and enjoy, please let me know when you are next staying.
uk
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2009

Not worth £247 (inclusive of taxes) for a not terribly big room. I was automatically put into a room on the Smoking Floor (apparently this is what they do with group bookings although why we should have to put up with rooms that reek of smoke is beyond me. As I was going straight into a meeting on arrival and then changing to go to a film premiere I did not have time to mess around with changing rooms. The smell was so bad I had to light the scented candle that I keep for when I travel to less luxurious hotels and destinations (hadn't expected to have to use it here). I never found out how to turn the airconditioning down so the room was a bit cold. There was no door to the bathroom (just an innner door to the loo). I was also called by my first name automatically which may be very trendy but which I though overly familiar (the staff were generally nice but had obviously been trained to use first names). Room service breakfast was ridiculously expensive at £25 (I found lots of places to go in Covent Garden like Patisserie Valerie in Bedford Street). Go to the top of the Portrait Gallery nearby for a great afternoon tea and stunning views.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
NeilMcMillan, Guest Experience Manager at St Martins Lane London Hotel, responded to this review, 17 June 2009
We’re sorry that we did meet all your expectations on this visit, the number of smoking rooms has been greatly reduced and we no longer have any “smoking” floors. Breakfast charges have also been reduced. If you do consider staying with us again, please let me know when you have made your booking.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2009

I recently returned to stay at St. Martin's Lane, to meet up with some musician friends who were repeat guests at the hotel. I booked the room via Expedia and was thrilled when hotel staff offered to upgrade the Queen bed room I paid for to a larger King bed room and housekeeping put in an extra roll-out bed for my friend free of any extra charges. The staff at the front desk were all friendly and fast with our check-in and the room was well-equiped and very nice indeed. Dental care kits and shaving kits are free, as are the excellent Agua Spa products which are in the bathrooms. Unlike at the sister hotel, The Sanderson in Soho, there is no Agua Spa at St. Martin's Lane. Hotel guests can use the gym next door for free. One disappointment about the rooms is that there is no coffee machine or any kettle. Even Travel Lodge budget hotels have free tea and coffee in their rooms, so you'd expect it in a 5 star hotel! We had to go to Starbucks across the road instead, as the drinks in the room's mini bar cost about the same as two bought together in Starbucks. Don't bother ordering anything on room service unless you have loads of money to spend and don't care about paying an extra £3.75 "tray charge" PLUS a 15% "gratuity charge". A hot chocolate ordered to your room can cost almost £10! A plate of doughnuts was £28! The Light Bar downstairs is for serious scene-stealers and London trend-setters, packed with business people and fashion and media types. The drinks prices here are far from light! just as shocking as the room service prices, £12 just for a gin and tonic was ridiculous and beware of the service charge PER DRINK even if you order at the bar! Not worth it unless you're loaded. The Bungalow 8 club downstairs is for members only or if you go in with somebody famous (who doesn't have to be a member, just known!) but I wasn't all that impressed. There are two main rooms, but it's small and more of a chic lounge than a nightclub. Hotel guests can only go in there up until 10pm, but it's empty in there until after midnight. It wasn't all that packed when we were in there, so I think they ought to relax the rules. Paparazzi were hanging around outside, but that's not unusual, as celebrities still go there and stay in the hotel. We had more fun partying in our room with cheaper drink bought in a local store than in the bar or Bungalow 8! If you're going to stay here, take my advice - it's for socialising and partying with friends! Don't expect to get any sleep at all until after 3am, as the music from downstairs can easily be heard if you're on a lower floor.
Location of the hotel is perfect. Walking distance from both Leicester Square and Covent Garden tube stations, lots of nice cafes and restaurants in the area, too.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends
3 Thank SophieCalifornia
IsabelleFowkes, Guest Experience Manager at St Martins Lane London Hotel, responded to this review, 1 April 2016
Thank you for your feedback from your stay St Martins Lane.

I am excited to let you know that since your stay with us we have had a stunning renovation and we now have a brand new bar, Blind Spot with bespoke cocktails and a hidden entrance. Asia de Cuba our iconic restaurant has had a make-over including a mouth-watering new menu and we also have a brand new cosy lounge area just off the lobby where you can enjoy a lovely coffee and game of chess.

I hope that we are able to welcome you back soon!