“It's just easy...”

St Martins Lane London Hotel
Ranked #78 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 5 October 2010

Stayed at SML early September for business. Was lucky enough that other family members were in London for business as well and convinced them to get a room at the SML also--so I got the best of both worlds--got my work done and also got to enjoy some fun in the evenings. As always when I stay at SML, everyone was helpful and friendly, from making my reservations to check-out. Used the concierge services more than usual and Tim and Richard were great and always helpful in getting restaurants and a car for us. Was lovely to find a bottle of wine and note from hotel management welcoming me back--even if the bottle was apprehended by my greedy sisters-in-law who snuck it back to their room. :) Was a wonderful trip. It's nice to know as much as I travel to London that SML is always welcoming, always consistent.
Cheers!
Kate

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
victoriastewart, Hotel Manager at St Martins Lane London Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 November 2010

Hi Kate, thanks so much for such great feedback, we’re really pleased that you enjoyed a family get-together with us and that we have become a home away from home. We will always look forward to welcoming you (and the family!) and if I can help at any time, please let me know.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,831)

Reviewed 4 October 2010

Blinds did not work, Reception rude, lights in bath did not work, waiter split drinks all over us - no real apology, £500+ room - £10 for Wifi! £5 for bottle of water, Why ask was every thing alright after the stay and do nothinf about it .Rip off hotel without substance never again!

Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
7  Thank CorkyDerbyshire
IsabelleFowkes, Guest Experience Manager at St Martins Lane London Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2016

Thank you for your feedback from your stay St Martins Lane.

I am excited to let you know that since your stay with us we have had a stunning renovation and we now have a brand new bar, Blind Spot with bespoke cocktails and a hidden entrance. Asia de Cuba our iconic restaurant has had a make-over including a mouth-watering new menu and we also have a brand new cosy lounge area just off the lobby where you can enjoy a lovely coffee and game of chess.

I hope that we are able to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed 4 October 2010

I was lucky enough to get a great rate to stay in this hotel for the 10 days i was in London. Hotel's standard rate for one night was 245 Pounds but i got a good deal thro priceline.com and ended up payin 250 US dollars ( about 160 Pounds). The hotel staff were amazing and very welcoming. The hotel room service was very great. The room was quite spacious. the room lay out was very interesting and quite smart i have to say. The in room entertainment included a flat screen Sony Screen. Sony DVD and an excellent mini-bar. As part of hotel's complimentary service you were able to order a DVD movie from their DVD library shown on their Booklet that you find when you check into your room. You always get a free "big" pop corn bowl every time you order a DVD. I have tried the room service food menu and i was so in love with their Cheese Burger (the beef was from Scotland) absolutely delicious.

The hotel have a nice bar/lounge called the light bar. it was a great place to set and have a chat with the ppl there. Dress Code for this bar buttoned shirts no jeans.

The hotel's restaurant Asia De Cuba looked nice but i did not get to try it. The hotel's Gym (Gym Box) was excellent. This Gym is located at the outside in the corner of the hotel building, hotel guests get to use the GYm for free. The hotel has a business center if you need to use the net and print documents you may use it (cost 4 pounds per 15 minutes) or if you just want to go online you can get a user name and password and pay 10 pounds for a full day internet access.

The hotel location was the best. Trafalgar Square was only few meters away, Leicester Square Subway station was only 300 meters away. If you want to enjoy a good walk, then you can walk toward the river Thames and enjoy seeing the London eye cross the river and Big Ben is about 15-20 minutes away from the hotel. During my walk i was lucky to pass through the Horse Guard House and i witnessed their daily change of the royal guard at 4:15 pm.

Near the hotel there are quite few good restaurants and great pubs. I have had a great time at Angel & Crown pub. Their food was quite nice and their staff were super friendly.

Good restaurants around, Angus Steak house, Bella Italia and few others. Also, if you are into go to theaters then you are at the right place as you are surrounded by many theater houses. And if you are in the mood to hear a musical performance then go to St Martins in the fields church. I was lucky to attend Vivaldi's Four Season tribute performed by Candle light.

All in all i have to say that my first experience in the great city of London wouldn't be as awesome as it was if it wasn't for the pleasant hotel i was at..

good luck everyone with all ur travel plans

Sam.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business

Hi Sam, WOW, what a great, comprehensive review. You really have captured so many element s of the hotel and what it can offer, and I’m so pleased that your first experience of London was enhanced by your enjoyment of the hotel. I hope you’ll have a chance to relive your great memories and recommendations by staying with us again and please contact me at that time.

Reviewed 22 September 2010

St Martins Lane offers outstanding service with a staff that is friendly and informative. We were greeted by name, regularly, and it was always a pleasure to return after a day of sightseeing. Just a few minutes walk to Trafalgar Square, historical sites, theater, restaurants, shopping, and transportation provides this boutique hotel with a dream location.
We enjoyed a lovely pre-theater dining experience at Asia de Cuba. Loved it!
Thank you St Martins Lane for a wonderful and relaxing experience. We will, deifinitely, return!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family

We love that you love St Martins Lane, please do come back soon to enjoy the food, the location and the service. We look forward to welcoming you back and please let me know if I can help at any time.

Reviewed 17 September 2010

We got engaged here last year, and returned for the the first 2 nights of our honeymoon this year. Both times we have stayed in a Garden Room (Travelzoo special offer)
The staff here are exceptional - extremely genuine and friendly, and on each occasion they have been utterly delightful and eager to help in any way. We found complimentary champange and a lovely note in our room on the first night of our stay, and were given a cocktail in the bar. The hotel is super cool, young and vibrant. The location could not be better - about as central as it gets. There is a traditional and friendly pub on the other side of the road, and we had breakfast opposite in Browns. One of the bar staff recommend that we go to Hix cocktail bar just behing Picadilly Circus - loved it!
Just writing this makes me want to go back......

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple

Many congratulations on your engagement & wedding, it’s really important to us when guests celebrate such special events and we love to share in these magical, happy occasions. We hope that by reading this you will come back & please do let me know at that time!

Reviewed 9 September 2010

This hotel is very modern and designed for the 'in' crowd however they made us feel very welcome and at home. We missed having tea/coffee in the morning but after mentioning this to the reception staff they immediately supplied us with a tea tray & kettle. Nothing was too much trouble. We even tried their delicious cocktails. It was expensive but right in the middle of every attraction (however very quiet) - well worth it.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple

We love to welcome all out guests as if into our own home and it’s so nice to read that you enjoyed your stay. Hopefully you will have an opportunity to stay again and enjoy another cocktail or two, please contact me at that time.

Reviewed 6 September 2010

We had stayed at the St Martin's Lane 4 or 5 times before (my wife just loves it), most recently last weekend (as a birthday present to my wife and because it fitted nicely with our first anniversary). What's the first thing the gentleman at the reception says when we walk up to check in? "Good morning, Mr [X], have you stayed with us before". Right. Not a good start. If I can see all my stays in my online profile, presumably their customer relationship database should show that information too.

In fairness, we did not mention on what occasion(s) we were staying this time. We did inform them on other occasions before previsous stays and what we received was simply outstanding treatment (super-friendly staff, room upgrade, bottle of champage in the room, even room upgrades for the whole family when we spent a week-end with the inlaws before our upcoming wedding). Simply extraordinary (and we did bring them some original choclates to thank the manager and this team). As good as it gets. Or "got", rather.

This time? We did not want special treatment but just "our" St Martin's Lane. Apparently, however, that doesn't work. We understood at check-in that the hotel was full -- and it showed. Staff was obviously challenged by this and things were disorganized. At booking, I had put in a request for a bathtub -- we did get one but we has to ask again at checkin (as above: where's the properly maintained guest profile/database?).

Biggest hiccup, however: the aircon in our room was not working. We called housekeeping early afternoon who said they would send up an engineer "at once". We took a nap for approx. 1 hour. No engineer had shown up. We left for some shopping and on the way out spoke to reception about the issue. They promised to check and fix it while we were out. We return 2 hours later -- nothing had happened. We went downstairs to speak to reception again -- because we had to get ready for a night out at the proms, we stressed that it was getting time-critical. Again, nothing happens until I go down again and make a fuss. Of course, this hits the wrong guy (he had no idea that we had been struggling to get this sorted the whole afternoon) but after all, he has his act together and assigns us a new room literally within 10 mins. Well done. Why did it take 4 hours?

Don't get me wrong: A broken aircon can happen and is not a big deal in itself. To be unable to sort it our during a whole afternoon is - for me - a big deal and something that I simply am not prepared to put up with at a hotel like the SML.

Also, when reading through some of the other reviews, it appears to me that consistently good service is what the SML is lacking. As noted above, we have had wonderful experiences at this hotel but it's just a real disappointment if there's a relatively minor hiccup and nobody seems to be able to care/address the issue/be able to sort it our swiftly.

So, in summary: I believe all the reviewers who posted something negative (as well). It's really a pity because it's such a nice and great hotel: good design, excellent location, trendy, good restaurant (nice b/f even), good bar (although not as sought after as it used to be) but really, guys, you need to focus a little more on providing consistently good service to the people who pay for their rooms because otherwise guests will start looking for something else (we certainly would consider doing that next time, despite the fact that my wife loves the SML so much).

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple

It’s embarrassing to read that, despite your previous enjoyable experiences of the hotel, we let you down on this occasion and it is disappointing that service was not more consistent. As a regular guest, I have written to you separately to discuss your feedback as I appreciate that you have taken the time to write a full review and I hope you will then consider staying with us again.