“Afogato”
Review of Rosewood London

Rosewood London
Ranked #28 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Me and my girlfriend are at the rosewood hotel launch bar, by the amazing fireplace thinking about what we should drink. Me and my girlfriend love afogato ( Double espresso and vanilla ice cream) when one of the waitress (Kysha) approached us and asked us what would we like to drink? We asked her if you have afogato in the menu, Kysha replied no. She asked us what it was, so we explained her that it was vanilla ice cream and double espresso. Kysha replied, well, we have both of the ingredients, let me put them together for you. After few minutes the waitress came back with exactly what we wanted and how we want it. Kysha went out her way to provided what we like the most even thou they don't serve it at the rosewood and make our experience on this Sunday afternoon awesome. Thank you Kysha.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Filippo T
Write a ReviewReviews (1,892)

Reviewed 26 April 2014

We had an amazing experience here a few weeks back. Admittedly we had a special offer, so the price was quite attractive too, but this is a VERY nice hotel. They don't hold back on anything, and everything is beautifully decorated, very stylish indeed. Scarfe's bar is a must, and the Holborn dining room is a gem. Would love to go back, and would highly recommend for anyone.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Diego C
Reviewed 25 April 2014

The 5 star Rosewood Hotel is new, it opened last year and was previously the Chancery Court Hotel. The hotel is in a 1914 listed neoclassical building designed by H Percy Monckton and is truly splendid. Rosewood hotels are an American chain of luxury hotels and resorts world wide, but this hotel has a very 'London' feel. The bar and Holborn dining room have a real sense of old world glamour, with dark wood, leather banquets, stylish and very welcoming. There is also a sparkling mirror lined lobby and restaurant, a posh deli, a spa, and some very swanky suites. The service is good, the staff friendly and helpful. The hotel has a great central location, and if you can afford it makes a luxurious base from which to explore the capital. Rooms start at £400.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank mtemp
Reviewed 20 April 2014

This hotel is very classy and elegant without being pretentious nor kitsch. Extremely comfortable bed with very high quality bedding, refused to get out of bed. Spacious room even just a normal classic room. The room has everything you would need to have an amazing stay. There is also a Nespresso machine in the room and very good tea choices.
Excellent location, 2 minutes walk to Holborn station, a bus stop right in front of hotel. Lots of good restaurants around. Stylish classy bar with delicious cocktails (book a table if you want to be seated, it's very busy). Wonderful attentive staff.
Overall a very lovely and high quality hotel, for the price that I paid, it was more than worth it. Will definitely return again if we have a chance.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank sunshine_penguin00
Reviewed 17 April 2014

I travel to Europe several times a year for business - and among all the hotels I stay in within the major territories, the Rosewood has become my absolutely favorite, hands down. It was recently redone and they just did a superb job. The hotel bar is hip and fabulous and the bed is the most comfortable bed, I swear, in all of Europe.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
5  Thank CiaofromCA
Reviewed 14 April 2014

In time there is no reason this should not be a great hotel, it has an excellent location and a real eye for visual detail. As a few others have mentioned there is a disconnect between the hotel branding and the staff. More than once I struggled to make myself understood in english and the response to a request for a White Wine Spritzer was comical. Room tech was a little bit over-complex, plug in sink did not work, some seating way too low in bar and restaurant. This was annoying but not a game changer. The restaurants and bars are all separated so there is little of the buzz you would get in grander hotels - the lobby is more of a pass through. The price was top of the range but while the service is sincere it is not yet genuine.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
5  Thank norfolk23
MatthiasRoeke, Managing Director at Rosewood London, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

Dear norfolk23,

Thank you very much indeed for sharing your review.

I am so pleased to read that you liked the design and style of the hotel. We place a huge emphasis on our ‘sense of place’ ethos so I’m glad that you found the local area to your liking.

I regret to hear that communication was an issue. As a collective, our associates speak over thirty languages to accommodate all guests. We do provide English classes to ensure that communication with our predominant clientèle, whom are English speakers, is achieved as impeccably. This was clearly not the case in your experience and I extend my sincere apologies for the annoyance. I have spoken with my team to look at ways that we can ensure this doesn't reoccur.

I am terribly sorry that your bathroom plug was not working. Given the opportunity we would of course rectify this as soon as it was highlighted. Nonetheless, this shouldn't have been the case.

I appreciate your comments with regards to Scarfes Bar, Holborn Dining Room and the Mirror Room. Each of the outlets has a completely different philosophy to allow for all tastes and occasions. There is an element of separation and I’m sorry that you felt this retracted from the buzz.

I really do hope that you might return to stay with us on a future trip to London. Please do contact me directly and I would be glad to make the arrangements for you.

I hope to meet you personally in the not too distant future.

Sincerely
Matthias

Reviewed 14 April 2014 via mobile

Had the most wonderful stay at Rosewood. Staff polite and helpful. Rooms immaculate and spacious. Bedding of the highest quality. Food delicious and caters for all tastes. The little touches are what makes this hotel one if the best in London. Thank you to all for making it such a memorable stay.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple