“The Rosewood Hotel London”
Review of Rosewood London

Rosewood London
Ranked #16 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 26 May 2014

What an experience ! Service excellence ! This hotel is situated in the heart of London. Easy to get by on foot , the bus or under ground rail. The rooms are big and decorated in a modern style.

Restaurant The Holford has a huge menu variety and not shy on food portions... it is huge !

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank MirieJordaan

Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

I'd probably give our experience 3.5 out of 5 really. The lobby and overall finish of the hotel are excellent but in the end there were a few little things about our room that meant we couldn't really justifying spending £400+ per night.

We booked in for a 6 night stay but the room we were allocated had only one small window in the corner of the room. My wife also struggled to find anywhere in the room with decent lighting and a mirror where she could dry her hair, it's a very minor point but there are the kind of details I expect to not be an issue in a hotel like this.

Staff were very friendly but no one asked why we were cutting out stay short until we checked out. I probably should have just asked to be moved to another room but in the end I just found another hotel.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank d10brp
MatthiasRoeke, Managing Director at Rosewood London, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

Dear d10brp,

I greatly appreciate you taking the time to post a review.

I am ever so sorry that you felt your stay wasn’t to the standard that you would expect from Rosewood London. I only wish that we might have had the opportunity to rectify this to your satisfaction before you departed. I can assure you that if you had expressed your discomfort we would have done our utmost to ensure that we offered an alternative room that met your agreement.

We have placed an electricity socket inside the wardrobe to allow for hair drying next to the full length mirror. This should have been highlighted to you on arrival so I apologise that this was not the case.

Once again d10brp, I’m ever so sorry that you felt your only option was to leave the hotel and I would be grateful if you might contact me directly when planning your next trip to London and I will make the arrangements personally.

I hope to meet you personally in the near future.

Reviewed 24 May 2014

Stunning decor and one of the best places to have your hotel breakfast in the world! I had stayed here previously when it was Chancery court and the renovation is amazing, a real feel of cool Britannia but still welcoming. Front desk were friendly and efficient. The bathroom was a little on the small side (room180) but the rooms are so well styled I didn't care. The hotel bar is now officially my favourite place to hang out. Will most definitely stay here again for work or pleasure. Loved it.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank JSAbroad2010
MatthiasRoeke, Managing Director at Rosewood London, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Dear JSAbroad2010,

I’m thrilled that you like the restoration of the building, the service, your breakfast, and most importantly, that you plan to return !

I greatly appreciate you taking the time to share your review and we look forward to having you back !

All my best.

Reviewed 23 May 2014 via mobile

Great place to stay as staff are extremely friendly and the rooms are modern and very clean so will be visiting again if I ever need to stay in the city also has the best lobby and toilets I have seen in the area

• Stayed: February 2014

Dear AndrewHoskins,

I'm so pleased to read that you found the associates to be helpful and that housekeeping was ‘spotless’ !
Thank you very much indeed for sharing your comments and we hope to welcome you back in the near future.
All my best.

Reviewed 22 May 2014

The hotel is beautiful and the decor is outstanding. It is not in a touristy area, yet there are some shops and lunch places within walking distance.We checked in and the bags were not brought to the room until we had called downstairs. Even then, there was some mix-up, and we had just flown all night and were anxious to get cleaned up. They neglected to tell us that the a/c works when the lights are on, so we roasted during the night until we figured out how to get around this. The maid came into our room when the privacy sign was on the door. Fortunately, we were dressed. The bathroom lighting, mirror and hairdryer are not what you would expect of a fancy hotel such as this. I doubt we would stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Merle B

Dear Merle B,

Many thanks for your compliments regarding our magnificent building and the interior design- it’s greatly appreciated.

I sincerely apologise for the issue with your luggage, the air conditioning and the impromptu visit from the room attendant. This is clearly not to the standard that that is typical of Rosewood London. We pride ourselves on attention to detail and I sincerely apologise that this was not your experience.

I am particularly sorry that you felt the area was not tourist orientated. We place a huge focus on our ‘sense of place’ ethos and I’m afraid that we have failed in sharing some of the local gems that are on offer in the surrounding area. Were just moments from Covent Garden and theatre land with its abundance of shops and restaurants. We also have the British Museum, Soanes Museum, London Silver Vaults and many other great attractions close by.

I’m saddened that you would choose not to return and would greatly appreciate the opportunity to discuss this further with you. Please do contact me directly and I would be glad to asset should you choose to return on your next trip to London.

All my best

Reviewed 22 May 2014

This is a stunning hotel central London. It is situated down a gated passage way, surrounding a large and elegant motor court. Because of the off the street location, rooms can be very quiet in an almost raucous area of London. The rooms are large for London and work well for a visitor. I reserved through Booking.com, and assumed that I would get something that was not as good as if I had reserved through the hotel's site. We had 2 rooms. One had distant city views, including the London Eye, the other was in a very quiet area looking at the wall of another building. I asked for another room, and was then given a room with views across rooftops. Still off the road and very quiet.

I liked that a 12.5% service charge was added to the various restaurant and bar bills, so I didn't have to deal with that awful "what do I leave" question. The Bar is quite splendid. It was full of young people the evenings I went, with a "Hollywood Blonde" playing drums and crooning away. She and her accompanist were terrific. My son and his fiancee worked their way through an inventive cocktail menu, and I liked the wines by the glass.

Make sure you pause and look at The Copper Gallery. It is beautiful. Tea is good. Not a spectacle like you get at Claridges or the Dorchester, but it is quite nice. Dietary issues are accommodated. This room is also lovely. An warm fire and an interesting mirrored ceiling add character and demand that you enjoy the space.

I was not as keen on Holborns, the newest of the restaurants bordering High Holburn street, but also having a sweet little terrace off the motor court. Service was slow. It literally took an hour from the time I sat down to the time my breakfast was served one morning. I had no appointments, so it wasn't a big problem. But it could have been. Very nice staff, they just need a bit more training. Also, while I appreciated the diversity and local nature of the menu, a few more simple choices that people with dietary restrictions could work with would be appreciated.

You may want to dimensionalize included breakfast costs if you choose them versus the menu costs. I don't know if they are online. But comparison shopping may pay off here.

The only room issue I had was that one had to use the hair dryer in the room at a very low vanity. Not a terrible problem, but a bit of an inconvenience. Loved the round trestle table in the corner where I could lay out my work, computer and anything else that I needed.

Concierge service was good with city questions, play tickets and directions. My only recommendation is that you sign up with Uber before you leave for the UK. While the Concierge has access to car services, they are considerably more expensive. If you keep asking, the price drops as other companies are "remembered". In all fairness, the hotel and concierge make money here. However, using Uber I got an executive car for 60GBP flat rate to Heathrow. There is also Uberx and a Luxury category which are probably less and more respectively. I used their executive cars twice, and both times got brand new, beautifully clean Mercedes sedans. And btw - the Flat Rate to Heathrow includes the gratuity. Just as a disclosure I own no Uber or Booking.com stock. Too bad...I liked working with both.

Summing up. Despite some small quirks, I loved this hotel! Beautiful venues throughout, and genuinely nice, unstuffy and well trained staff combine with an eye towards the needs of a visitor in London. It made for a wonderful home away from home. I hope you enjoy the hotel as much as I did.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank mags4087
Reviewed 21 May 2014

We had a wonderful stay at the Rosewood Hotel in London. We were celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary and they agreed to upgrade our room, which was very kind. We arrived very early because we had taken a redeye from New York. The staff was very accommodating, letting us check in early. Unfortunately, when we got to our room the previous guest had not checked yet checked out and we walked in to find an unmade bed, a toothbrush etc. I called the front desk expecting that they would tell us to wait a few minutes and that we would be shown to a different room. When we got downstairs the front desk staff was extremely apologetic--they upgraded our room once again to a suite. This was pure luxury. Towel warmers, Neroli bath products, a gorgeous minibar, lighted makeup mirror, full-size tub with television, his and hers dressing areas, sound system, unbelievable luxury linens. We could go on and on about the Rosewood. The rooms were quiet, the location was fabulous and the staff was polite, yet helpful and warm. Thank you for making this a wonderful wedding anniversary celebration! We look forward to staying here in the future and we also look forward to staying in other Rosewood properties. This hotel truly sets the standard for a four star hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple