“Wonderful and very classy!”
Review of Rosewood London

Rosewood London
Ranked #18 of 1,073 Hotels in London
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Just returned from London yesterday. Stayed here at the Rosewood hotel. This was my first time in London. I was there with my daughter and granddaughter. This is a classy, very english (as I expected and wanted) hotel. The decor is fabulous, the atmosphere is superb. The food was delicious. We ordered room service and felt like we ate in a hotel restaurant. The set-up for the service room was grand. The food arrived on China and with fresh flowers. Jessie the front desk manager greeted us and she is just wonderful. The location is excellent, metro is two blocks down. The concierges desk was extremely helpful. Housekeeping service was excellent. Will stay at the Rosewood again!

Room Tip: The location is great, has lots of traffic. We were on a high floor and didn't hear any noise. B...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Rosewood London

Reviewed 9 June 2014

First of all, I do want to say that we had paid for a deluxe room and got a super massive upgrade to a suite.
I do think I would still give this 5 stars if we had not had upgrade but it does make for a very different experience and upgrades do not always happen.
We were there for a special occasion and so we got upgrade and a cake in the room. Already things were great.

Staff: cannot fault. Our tv was not working at 2.30 am when we were having an after party in our room. An engineer was called, appeared promptly and fixed issue.
Reception staff and restaurant staff are all fantastic, smiley without being fake.

Hotel: I think it is the most beautiful hotel in London. You enter a courtyard and then it feels tranquil and far away from High Holborn and traffic. You see the bellboys in their cool uniforms, the plants and it feels like you have entered a safe haven.
Inside, the hotel is extremely well done up, modern yet cozy, nice fabrics, nice touches such as the Chinese toothbrush holders. It does not feel corporate. It feels design without being too trendy.
The building itself with all the marble staircases looks out of this world.
Bar is supercool as is restaurant.

Our room: so yes we had this massive suite, number 428. It was very rock n roll. 2 toilets, big lounge, cose bedroom and the best bathroom ever with a shower that could fit 5 people, a bath with TV, 2 sink, seperate toilet.

One minor thing: too much technology in room, 20 light buttons and we didn't know which one was which so all lights came on or all went out. But hey, whatever, maybe we are just idiots!

Asides from that I loved this hotel and want to stay again. One of the best city hotels I have ever stayed in. Just treat yourself and go!!

Room Tip: Our friends had a deluxe 470 and even those feel very spacious. we had the suite but they are around...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Spent a week here for business travel and couldn't have asked for better service. Would also highly recommend for pleasure. Fantastic location and top notch service. No detail is overlooked and every staff person was very friendly and quick to help. Room is very spacious, especially for London standards. Room amenities were exceptional. Facilities are clean and well kept. Love the new decor, overall "vibe" and restaurants. Food is very tasted and pleasantly presented, though a bit pricey.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank NinaPintaStaMaria
MatthiasRoeke, Managing Director at Rosewood London, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

Dear NinaPintaSMaria,

I am so glad to read that you were happy with your experience here at Rosewood London !

I extend my sincere thanks for your generous review !

We are very proud of our associates and I am thrilled that you found our service offering to be exceptional. The devil is in the detail, as they say !

We hope to welcome you back on your next stay in London.

Sincerely

Reviewed 7 June 2014

We booked the Rosewood with an eye to it's convenient location for Oxford Street shopping and having read traveller's reviews on tripadvisor. We were travelling with our one year old baby daughter we wanted to take her to London zoo to see the tiger cubs. Moreover my wife had never been to London and I wanted to wow her with a memorable hotel to remember the visit by.

We arrived very early at 0900 and the doormen were very efficient with parking our car. The reception staff were non-pareil in the warmth of their welcome and efficiency, and to our pleasant surprise the executive room we had booked was immediately available. We were shown to our room by an impeccably turned out member of the reception staff, who had immediately been taken by our young daughter.

Our room on the fourth floor was spacious (approx 350 sq ft), with a large flatscreen tv; nespresso machine; fully stocked minibar and proper hangers. The bed was very big and as promised supremely comfortable-all three of us slept in it that night and even our daughter didn't stir until morning. The concierge service was very efficient and they booked us entry tickets for London zoo and gave us helpful advice about parking near the zoo without having to pay and display.

We didn't eat at the hotel, and as our daughter was with us we didn't go into the bar, which looked very busy and inviting, with a very good singer pianist on duty that Saturday evening. We went out for dinner an upon our return we sat and had a cocktail outside in the courtyard (and a cigar). Cocktails were first rate, as one would expect of a 5* hotel.

The bathroom and shower was first rate with lovely czezh and speake toiletries. We requested a baby bottle warmer, diaper pail (nappy bin in plain english), and although not requested were even provided with a brand new steam steriliser with four feeding bottles! A complimentary sunday newspaper of our choice was also delivered in the morning. Check-out was very smooth and we had requested an hours extension to check-out for 1300 which was granted without any quibble.

There were a number of minor problems, which were resolved very promptly. Firstly our room was next to the lift but we were informed that no one had ever complained but if we were not happy we could be change rooms at once; already we were very impressed by the attitude of the staff in putting guests needs first. As it was, the soundproofing was so good, we never heard a thing...secondly, the air-conditioning kept re-setting to 23 degrees, after I had tried to reduce it to 20 degrees. The problem was quickly resolved, turned out previous guests sometimes asked for a specific temperature to be set which could only be overridden by the service staff from their office.This was sorted while we we went out for dinner.

Finally, the hotel left us a lovely chocolate ganache cake as we had gone to London due to our daughter's birthday.It was lovely! We also left our daughter's favourite soft toy in the lobby. When I rang four days later, they had it stored in lost property, and posted it back to us.

There are only two criticisms one very minor and one not so minor. The first was that glasses of wine are offered in 150 ml measurements by the glass, rather than the usual 175ml found in almost all other London hotels- a bit mean to say the least of a 5* establishment.

The second was the breakfast in the Holborn Dining Room, which was the cheapskate (at £30 per person!) buffet breakfast that a lot of hotels seem to offer nowadays. Considering that every other facet of our stay was five star in every way, it was a great shame that such an important impression that every guest takes away with them, was so disappointing. In this regard the hotel is doing itself, its superb staff and it's guests a great disservice. We had discovered that the Holborn Dining Room is not in fact part of the hotel, perhaps that explained the poor breakfast. Why the Mirror room cannot offer a full breakfast in addition to a continental breakfast is a little perplexing.

Overall though, we would still go back to the hotel next time we are in London. We will just skip breakfast if it remains a buffet affair. The building, the rooms and the staff bowled us over. I look forward to trying a few cocktails in Scarfe's bar...pity they take reservations, unlike the Coburg and Connaught bars of the Connaught hotel.

Room Tip: We stayed in an executive room overlooking the inner courtyard. Blissfully quiet even though next to...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank baljinder
Reviewed 7 June 2014

My satisfaction is so overwhelming I do not know where to begin to express this hotel experience. The moment we arrived the impression was one of sophisticated elegance.The esthetic attention to detail is beautiful to see as the hotel has gone to great lengths to create a clean and modern design housed in an historic impressive building dating back centuries. The mixture of old and new cannot be overlooked. Upon entering the reception area you can't help feeling welcome and special. Every place you look is a wonder. The rooms are spacious and outfitted with the finest amenities.. The staff is first rate and go over and beyond to make you feel comfortable and special. The front desk, the Concierage, the restaurant and bar, housekeeping, just superb. I can't even begin to explain the extra attention that we were given during our stay because it was so unbelievable! It's like everything and everyone took a "perfect pill". I can't stop raving and highly, highly recommend this hotel to all.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Karen E

Dear Karen E,

Thank you so very much for this wonderful review !

I am thrilled that you found your stay to be perfect ! It is immensely pleasing that you had such a great experience and I’m very glad that we were able to create such a cherished memory of your time here in London !

Your comments are most gratefully received and I hope to welcome you back on your next trip.

Sincerely

Reviewed 5 June 2014

You don't have to stay in the West End to enjoy high standards in London. The Rosewood is a very short walk (Chancery Lane direction) from Holborn tube station, convenient for the City, Fitzrovia, the British Museu, Covent Garden and Oxford Street, not to mention the High Court, various law chambers, and a list of other points of interest to long to enumerate. Luxury doesn't come cheap, but there's not much other than the price to complain about. There are plenty of helpful staff who offer a high standard of service. There was a hiccough checking out, but that's almost too common an occurrence everywhere to be worth mentioning. As always make sure you know what you ordered and check your bill.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank PerryFrastic

Dear AndyP335,

I’m so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and found everything to be top class !
It’s great to hear that you liked our locale! I thank you for sharing your kind comments and extending such a great rating !

I do hope we will have you as our guest again soon !

Reviewed 4 June 2014

My husband and I spent one night at The Rosewood to celebrate our wedding anniversary last weekend. We used to visit London quite regularly pre-children but have not been for a few years now since our eldest was born. With Granny lined up for a bit of baby-sitting we decided to treat ourselves to a night away at The Rosewood and to see Miss Saigon at the theatre. We arrived at the hotel after lunch and were instantly bowled over by how beautiful and grand the hotel looked. The staff were extremely welcoming and friendly and knew we were celebrating our anniversary so upgraded us to an executive room. The room was absolutely perfect - spacious, comfortable, lovely view over the courtyard and very well equipped. The bathroom was the most luxurious bathroom ever with a large, deep bath and a large walk-in shower that was the most powerful shower we've ever had. Bathrobes and slippers helped to add to the feeling of luxury.

The bed was simply amazing, by far the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in and the pillows were just heavenly. I'd love to know where they get their pillows from as they are in a different league to anything we've had before! There was a large tv, with speakers in the bathroom and a great coffee machine.

We had some drinks in Scarfes bar when we got back from the theatre and the staff there were very friendly. It's a lovely bar, very elegantly decorated and feels very sophisticated! The Barman made me the nicest champagne cocktail I have ever had! We had our breakfast in the Holborn dining room and it was absolutely delicious. Our room rate included breakfast and you could choose whatever you wanted from a very extensive menu. The staff were attentive and nothing was too much trouble.

This stay at The a Rosewood really was a treat for us, as we're certainly not used to staying in 5 star hotels. We rocked up in our shorts and flip flops when we arrived and we were a bit worried that we would feel out of place somewhere so upmarket. There was absolutely nothing to be worried about though, we were made to feel extremely welcome and treated like royalty the whole time we were there. The staff were absolutely fantastic and the whole experience was one we'll never forget. Our only regret was that we didn't stay for two nights! As we had tickets for the theatre and we wanted to do a bit of shopping, we didn't spend that much time at the hotel which was a real shame considering how nice it was. We didn't get to experience the spa, for example.

So, now we've experienced how the other half live, we're already wanting to plan another break away to The Rosewood! Just need to start saving!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple