“Nice 3 night stay”
Review of Rosewood London

Rosewood London
Ranked #19 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 26 August 2014

Nice hotel, comfortable rooms and most of the staff very nice. I loved the Scarves Bar. Front Desk greeting was nice, as was the Concierge who helped me with show tickets. I did notice a bit of squabbling between two Concierges at the desk, on two different nights. I also enjoyed the location.
One down note, I could not get a straight answer for car service from Rosewood to Gatwick. One gentleman finally said 115 but 170 with credit card. We booked a car on our own for 70.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 25 August 2014

Had the pleasure to attend the wedding taking place in Rosewood hotel. The venue was stunning, staff very proactive, smiley and helpful. Food was great! Staff serving function was very organised, all tables were served very quickly. The only fault, however minor, bar staff was a little bit too slow and ignorant. We had to stand at the bar for very long time waiting to be served as bartender was busy sorting out card-machine or till. During the function our bartender seemed very junior and really lacked speed. These faults however were insignificant as overall experience was brilliant.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 August 2014

We stayed at the Rosewood London in early August. It was recommended to us by our Virtuoso travel agent. The hotel itself is stunning, and no detail has been overlooked. You feel like you're walking into a perfectly staged movie set. Our rooms were spacious and well appointed. We did not have a room with a view (we were placed in the back of the hotel with an alley view) so I'm not sure if there is a better, or more picturesque view from the property. We ate at four of the restaurants on property and the food was good. My only complaint was the service! Service at the restaurants was slow and not organized (with the exception of the pub room). It took a very long time to get simple requests filled and we felt like pushy Americans because we had to ask for things over and over. I don't think the staff has fully settled into their positions at the restaurants and seemed out of sync. I would recommend the hotel management spend less time on making sure every knick knack is in place and more time on improving the quality of service. We have stayed at several Rosewood Hotel's and we have loved them all. With time, and experience, this hotel will be fantastic.

Room Tip: We stayed on the alley side, and it was quiet, but no view to speak of. Ask for a room with a street...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank 552Travel2014
Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

I loved this hotel i would never stay elsewhere. Great location, amazing well trained staff, breathtaking decor, wonderful hospitality, delicious food. I can't say enough i definitely recommend staying in this hotel and we would definitely come back

Stayed: August 2014
Reviewed 21 August 2014

For those of you in a hurry...I won't stay here again. Not because there was anything bad, but I expected more. Our stay here was bracketed by a trip earlier this year that included stays at the Hassler in Rome, the Four Seasons in Florence, and the Principie-Savoie in Milan, a Dorchester Hotel. From London our trip included the One and Only Hotel(really) in Capetown, The Lion Sands Resort at Sabi Sands, both in South Africa, and the Victoria Falls hotel at, you guessed it, Victoria Falls Zimbabwe. Only the Italy hotels are in Rosewoods strata though the One and Only is close. That said the service at all of them was more consistently superior to that at the Rosewood.
In fairness the hotel has only been open since October. That said, the issues I had with the hotel should have been addressed pre-opening.
Here is the number one issue, at this level of hotel the answer should always be YES, unless it just cannot be. On numerous occasions, some involving me some involving other guests, hotel staff had what has been referred to as a "moment of truth". As I was saying to myself "just say YES" or "the right answer is YES" I would watch the hotel person in effect say no. No can take many forms but the result is the same, the hotel gets its way not the guest.
To be clear, there were many employees who had the right attitude, but again, at this level of hotel it should be in the DNA.
Just one example. Our flight to Capetown was in the evening so my travel agent had asked for a late checkout. Then she received an email from the concierge asking what requirements I might have. My response again addressed the late checkout issue among other things. I received no response though when I arrived at the hotel everything seemed to have been taken care of, early check-in, room on a lower floor, bathroom scale. On the last day I went to the front desk to see about the late check-out it was obvious that the person knew nothing about it and I was given the (unfortunately) standard response that they could only give me a one o'clock check out without an additional charge. OK so let's balance the additional charge they MIGHT have gotten with the revenue they will NOT be getting because I'm not going back. In an ideal world, or at the Four Seasons, she would have asked what time would work for me, and unless that just could not happen, the answer would be YES.
Ironically, at the same time our regular hostess in the lounge was giving us a complimentary champagne toast to our African journey.

Room Tip: Unless you don't mind seeing yourself in mirrors from all angles including sitting on the commod...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank David C
Reviewed 20 August 2014

The Rosewood is a new and lovely addition to London. It is luxurious without being in the least bit stodgy. The building is grand; the courtyard welcoming; the Bronze Gallery that fronts the lobby is stunning.

The staff with whom we interacted were charming and clearly glad to be there.

The room was beautiful and furnished to a high standard; bed was very comfortable; no noise from other rooms or corridors; lovely bathroom. We stayed in a Grand Premier room on the seventh floor. It was very spacious for London.

The Scarfe Bar is a lovely place to unwind at the end of the day.

The Courtyard Terrace was a quiet oasis. We ate there a couple of times and the food (from the Holborn Dining Room) was very good.

This was our first stay in this neighbourhood. In the past we have stayed in Mayfair (the Athanaeum and the Langham) or Covent Garden (an apartment). The hotel is situated on High Holburn, east of Mayfair, north of Soho and Covent Garden. We explored Bloomsbury and the British Museum as well as the City of London (all with London Walks) on foot from this area and walked home from plays in the West End. We also walked from there along Oxford Street as far as Selfridges.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Travelling_Circus_11
MatthiasRoeke, Managing Director at Rosewood London, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Dear Travelling_Circus,

Thanks very much indeed for the lovely review.

I am so glad you enjoyed your time with us and that you had the opportunity to explore a new area of London.

I really do hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Matthias

Reviewed 20 August 2014

I stay here several times a year for business (and did so when it was the not-as-good Chancery Court). Rooms are comfortable, quiet, lovely. Service is excellent. Concierge desk could be a bit more knowledgeable. I always look forward to returning.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Barbara R
Management response:Responded 21 August 2014

Dear Barbara R,

I greatly appreciate you taking the time to share your review !

It’s always great to hear candid feedback from a regular guest.

I do hope that I have the opportunity to meet you personally on your next stay with us.

Matthias