3 people are viewing this hotel
Hotels.comUS$625
Trip.comUS$410
PricelineUS$625
2,626 results
All reviews scarfes bar mirror room holborn dining room chancery court high holborn beautiful hotel covent garden british museum afternoon tea nespresso machine fantastic stay west end tube station homewood luxury concierge savoy
Selected filters
Reviewed 19 January 2018

I regularly travel to London for work and have stayed in a variety of hotels there. Most hotels in London have small rooms and are very expensive. Location comes with a premium, so you need to look carefully before deciding.

I chose the Rosewood based on the excellent reviews from fellow TripAdvisor contributors. My only other experience with a Rosewood property was in Cancun (Mexico), which was great.

Truth be told, this is a stunning property. The hotel is housed in a historic looking building. The exterior is majestic and the courtyard makes you feel as though you are arriving into a very posh property, which it is.

Reception upon arrival was efficient, although a bit formal and cold. The lobby is well decorated and modern. I was upgraded (which was promised to me prior to my arrival) to a deluxe suite, which was large, spacious with a huge shower area. The bed was firm and the room was spotlessly clean. The only think missing was a work desk for the business traveller. I had to make do with a round table to do my work on.

Housekeeping was excellent and responsive, most commendable.

The first disappointment was breakfast. As it was "low season" for the hotel, they used the Holborn Dining Room, an adjoining restaurant next to the hotel. The food was simply horrible! The pancakes and waffles were clearly not freshly made, the scrambled eggs were powdery and almost inedible. Most of the food was just not good. I had only one day (on a Sunday) when breakfast was served in the hotel dining area, which was much better, but that was just one day out of seven days.

The next disappointment was a most atrocious and shocking incident. I was staying on the 3rd floor of the hotel, which also housed a private apartment of sorts or something. On my 2nd day of stay, I could smell a very strong cigarette / cigar stench throughout the corridor of the floor. I promptly alerted the reception staff and all she said was that she would check on it. Nothing done and no closure of the loop with me. On the 4th night, I could not bear it any further and complained to the reception yet again. Prior to that, I came across a hotel staff on the 3rd floor and asked her if she could smell the cigar / cigarette smoke. She simply said "yes, I'm sorry, but there is a very rich guest staying in the private apartment and there is nothing we can do about it!". This time round I was furious and lodged a stern complaint to the front desk. The staff apologised and offered to move me to a higher floor, which I did to with a great deal of inconvenience and hassle. There was the rudimentary bottle of champagne as a poor gesture of apology and that was about it. Clearly, the management philosophy in this hotel is that if you have the money, you can do just about anything, regardless of how it might cause problems for other paying guests.

For a supposed 5 star hotel property, I expect much much better. The management should have stopped the guests from smoking and if they refused, these guests should be thrown out. I don't care how rich they are.

The room I was moved to was a supposedly better one, on the 5th floor and a loft designed room. It was quite uncomfortable, with a very awkward shaped design. Staircases here and there. It was a poorly designed suite.

Overall, a beautiful hotel but poorly managed.

• Trip type: Travelled on business
Remus P, Hotel Manager at Rosewood London, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2018

Dear Jason C,

Thank you for filling out a thorough review of your recent stay. While I wish you had a better experience, it is feedback like yours we use to learn from and improve. Our hotel is a non-smoking environment, and we do have a protocol in place for handling situations when guests decide not to follow our policy. We do not discriminate nor make exceptions based on financial wealth of our guests, as we have no knowledge or interest to obtain such private information.

Thank you for your kind words about the physical aspect of our property, as well as acknowledging our housekeeping team.
I hope we will be able to meet in person whenever you have a chance to stop by our hotel to discuss further.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed 17 January 2018 via mobile

We had visited this hotel for new year's eve to spend the night in London and thought we'd try this hotel given its ratings on here. The breakdown of my review covers main topics;

Service: Reception staff were very professional and pleasant upon arrival, including the gentleman working on concierge. We did ask for an early check in for our superior family room weeks in advance but when we arrived, we were told our room was not available. Thankfully they have an equivalent room available so or was all managed and provided with a smile. We had asked for a roll out bed for our child however the hotel were able to offer something more substantial to this and had set it all up for us when returned too. We had called room service for a few miscellaneous items and found them to be a little slow bringing us items such as an iron/ironing board etc.

Rating - 4/5

Food / drinks: We didn't dine here but had ordered drinks and found they to be satisfactorily priced at the London rates. We were given a complimentary bottle of bubbly from guest relations so was quite suprised yet overwhelmed when we received this on New year's eve.

Rating 5/5

Location: Pretty much generally central to all zone 1 amenities and was within walking distnacr to landmarks in London. Tube is literally down a few yards as well.

Rating 5/5

Pricing: Although the pricing of the drinks seemed reasonably acceptable, we found the dining costs of the food were quite expensive which deterred is from eating here and dined out instead. We also enquired for the new year's dining and found is very expensive for dinner with no drinks included either, they need to review these prices and packages for families a little more for next year.

Rating 3/5

Room: The room we had booked was a superior. It was spacious, clean and modern. We found the small detailing quite impressive with the book's, toiletries and sound system etc. The decor is all very modern keeping with the times so could not fault it. Bed was very confortable and the roll out bed too was just as nice as well.

Check out/departure

Check out was fairly easy and was asked if we used any beverages in the mini bar, which we didn't. A day later I got an email from the staff suggesting I had used the mini bar which they attempted to charge me with. After explaining that I did not use any of the minu bar beverages they then apologised afterwards.

Rating 3/5

Conclusion: Generally a well presented hotel which had everything you could want. I would only say it has to review the special occasion packages and pricing to some of the menu it offers guests. Overall a good hotel but not the best 5 star in London I have stayed in.

Trip type: Travelled with family

Dear Travelista_81,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed and thorough review of your experience at Rosewood London. While I wish all your ratings were 5/5, I am pleased to read that you have enjoyed our location, professionalism of our staff, pricing of our drinks and the New Year's Eve bubbly surprise.

New Years Eve Dinner is in high demand each year, and our goal is to ensure our guests have a memorable and fun experience. Several elements other than the special menu such as entertainment and décor are factored into our pricing for the special evening.
I hope we have a chance to host you again in the near future.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed 17 January 2018 via mobile

Despite having London's natural elegance all over the place, as one enters the hotel, one can feel a unique merge of styles. I noticed the asian attention to detail merged with a New Yorkish innovative and friendly approach. The hotel has several outlets, each with a completely different energy. The Holborn Restaurant looks like a pararel universe of excitement while the Mirror Room exhales the magic of a Budhist Temple. I strongly recommend it!

Trip type: Travelled solo
MichaelBonsor, General Manager at Rosewood London, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2018

Dear Diego S,
Thank you very much for your elegant review of Rosewood London and the beautiful interior throughout the hotel, including in our vibrant Holborn Dining Room and the luxurious Mirror Room. I sincerely thank you for your recommendation and I look forward to welcoming you back very soon.
Warmest regards, Michael Bonsor

Reviewed 16 January 2018

With the exception of one very slow to arrive breakfast, this is the finest hotel experience I've had in London. The service is excellent (with this one exception), the staff are friendly and responsive, the uniforms uniformly English Country but also varied (every function has a different "costume"). The rooms are large, the bedding heavenly and sleep encouraging. The location is very central both to theatre and shopping (less than a block to the Holborn tube station). I'd stay here again in a minute.

Room tip: Our room looked out on an alley. We didn't mind view as it was very quiet (on a very busy street).
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Dear coachorem,

Thank you for sharing your experience on this platform. While I wish you had a more efficient breakfast experience, I am delighted to read that you enjoyed every aspect of our hotel from the way our team is dressed to their service, room product and location.

Please let me know whenever you are able to return. I would love to show you what our normal breakfast experience is all about.

Reviewed 12 January 2018 via mobile

We spent a few days in London post New Year and enjoyed drinks in this extremely cosy purpose built lodge. Service was superb.

Despite the open air type, the heaters and the blankets created an atmosphere that was extremely relaxing in the heart of bustling london.

Trip type: Travelled with friends
MichaelBonsor, Managing Director at Rosewood London, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2018

Dear milton116,
Thank you kindly for your perfect review following your residency with us. I am delighted to hear you were able to choose Rosewood to celebrate post New years. I am furthermore thrilled to know you were able to appreciate our Monkey 47 lodge seasonal pop up. I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future and perhaps to explore our next pop up bar.
Warmest regards, Michael Bonsor