“Excellent Customer Service”

Thistle Trafalgar Square, The Royal Trafalgar
Ranked #198 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed 25 November 2013

There are two Thistles on Whitcomb St - we found the right one on the second try! The lobby is very nice and comfortable, and the staff are friendly and chatty. I mentioned on my booking form that it was my 30th birthday and I'd like a room with a view if possible - both my parents and I did receive rooms with nice views of the London Eye, Nelson's Column, etc, which was lovely. There was a good tea tray, and when I left a note requesting LOTS more tea and sugar, I returned to find the tray overflowing! I was really impressed, and actually rather touched, to return to my room at the end of the day and find a little box of truffles and a handwritten note from the receptionist wishing me a happy birthday - just lovely. On the downside, the rooms are very small even by London standards, there was shampoo but no conditioner, and a drunk man howling like a dog kept me awake for a while...there is some noise from the street on occasion. My parents felt like the size of the room was disappointing for the price, but I thought it was a good deal considering the location. The room was nicely decorated and in good condition, and the staff were very helpful with storing our bags on our last day and letting us access them a couple of times. Happy to recommend.

Room Tip: Request a room with a view - can't hurt, and the staff seem eager to please.
There are newer reviews for Thistle Trafalgar Square, The Royal Trafalgar

Reviewed 25 November 2013

I was in London with my wife for a celebration and was hoping for a very special weekend. I had chosen The Royal as it was perfectly positioned for the theatre and the restaurant I had booked. On arrival at the hotel, the reception staff, two young women and the porter all greeted us warmly. We had arrived earlier than check in time (2.00pm) however we were checked straight in by a very polite, friendly and efficient young woman. Our room, 603, was ready which was perfect as I had booked afternoon tea for my wife at Brumus for 2.00. 603 is at the back of the hotel so it is very quiet. It was an Executive King and had all the space my wife and I needed. The room was very clean as was the shower room. (No bath in this room but lovely big shower with drenching shower head)
After a full afternoon and evening, retired to the room for an extremely comfortable nights sleep in the super-wide bed. Check out time is a very civilised midday allowing a deliciously decadent lie-in.
Left our luggage in the secure Left luggage room behind reception and joined the other tourists wandering the streets, window shopping for Christmas presents. Of the hotel I can say without hesitation, wonderful staff, lovely room and absolutely brilliant location.

Room Tip: If you can, stretch to the Exec King; more room and very big bed!
Reviewed 15 November 2013

We stayed at this hotel earlier this week, and had a wonderful stay.

On arrival, just after noon, our room was ready, which was a bonus as we were able to drop off our bags and freshen up. Although not the biggest room we've ever stayed in it was very clean and tidy, and had everything you could ever need (including an iron and ironing board). The bathroom was spotless, and very well fitted out. Toiletries were also provided.

We didn't have an evening meal at the hotel, but did have a drink in the bar, which was comfortable with a nice atmosphere. The breakfast buffet was excellent, with a wide choice of both hot and cold food and a great supply of tea and coffee. As we were among the last to have breakfast we had pretty attentive service too.

The reception staff were superb, and the concierge really helpful. The bar and breakfast staff were also excellent. All in all the staff were much better than we have previously experienced in London hotels.

Given the brilliant location, quality of rooms and standard of service we would certainly put this hotel at the top of our list for future London visits.

2  Thank Phil-Somerset
Reviewed 13 November 2013

As soon as we arrived to the hotel we were checked into our room, even though we arrived at 12pm and not 2pm, the actual check in time. The staff were very friendly and polite. Our bags were not taken to our room for us which you may expect in a 'luxury 4* Hotel'.

We stayed in the executive double room, lovely big bed and nice big room. The bathroom was lovely, very clean and a huge shower, bathroom included shampoo, conditioner etc as well as a good quality hairdryer in the room. It is clear that the whole hotel has been recently decorated to a high standard. The room was definitely up to 4 or 5* standard, very spacious for a London hotel too.

The breakfast was really good quality food, and although in a small room there was enough to choose from. However the food was slow to be replaced when it had all gone so we were waiting around for a while for more. Plates we had finished with also took a while to get taken away so the table was cramped.

There is a small bar area, this was nice and relaxing, it was a shame that the draught beers were not available, also the waitress did get both my orders wrong, but she did replace them when I informed her of this.

The location of this hotel is perfect, you couldn't ask for any better. 1 minute from Leicester Square, no more then 5 to Piccadilly and 30 seconds to Trafalgar Square.

Overall I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for somewhere pleasant to stay for a couple of nights with a very central location. Service was average and there were no other facilities, if you were looking to stay for 5 or more nights you might want to consider somewhere with more facilities and slightly better service. However perfect for a one or two night city break.

2  Thank SallyAMalice
GMThistle2012, General Manager at Thistle Trafalgar Square, The Royal Trafalgar, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2013

Dear Louisa M

Thank you for posting your review. I was delighted that overall you would recommend the hotel and thought the staff were very friendly. I was also pleased you rated the rooms as 4 to 5 star standard following our refurbishment. Please accept my apology for the lack of luggage assistance on arrival and the inconvenience this caused. We do have a 24 hour concierge service so I will make sure we are more pro-active in offering help in the future. I am happy to advise that we are now re-introducing draught beer into the bar following your experience and other similar guest comments. Thank your once again for your balanced feedback.

Kindest regards

Richard O'Riordan

Reviewed 11 November 2013

Nice hotel with great location. The hotel was very easy to find and everything that I needed was within walking distance. The staff was friendly and the breakfast was very tasty. The only minus comes from being given someone else's room on arrival. Yes, they give me a key to someone else's room, but fortunately there was no one inside when I entered. I wen back to the reception and I was given another room, this time a free one. When I got back to hotel later, the key card for the room didn't work anymore, and the receptionist had to give me a new one.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Dinky81
Reviewed 10 November 2013 via mobile

Fabulous location and friendly staff ... the Thistle is perfect if u have business in town. Good breakfast too. Fire alarm went off early in the morning but within 5 min everything was sorted. Would stay again. Nothing outstanding (hence the 4 rating ) but no complaints either

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 November 2013

The Royal Trafalgar Thistle hotel, located down the street from another Thistle hotel, is located optimally for walking to main historic attractions. It's a great location for exploring. If you are on a business trip and your family is with you, you would never have to worry about them finding plenty to do. The problem we had is the fire alarm forced an evacuation early one morning. It had happened three times that week. By the time I walked out, the fire department was on scene. They will figure this out...

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business