“Excellent hotel”

Thistle Trafalgar Square, The Royal Trafalgar
Ranked #198 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 3 December 2013

We came to London for a weekend and stayed in the hotel for two nights. The location is great. Near the center, but at the same time very quite. The stuff is eager to please. The concierge was amazing! he was very helpful and knowledgeable. The breakfast was very generous and the rooms are clean and modern.

Reviewed 30 November 2013

Stayed for two nights with colleague in a 3rd floor twin room. Nicely decorated with comfortable beds. Modern but small bathroom, great shower. Enjoyed breakfast each day in the restaurant, with the staff being warm friendly and happy to help with any requests. This hotel is ideally placed for all the sights as well as nightlife. The real star is the friendly staff though.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank 1dws
Reviewed 27 November 2013

Another great stay at this excellent hotel, situated right in the heart of where I want to be. The staff are professional and efficient, yet personable and approachable. I peered in the bottom of the milk jug when pouring my tea, and that was all I had to do, a filled fresh jug was brought in an instant. Reception staff remember your name, once we are in our room and settled, there is a telephone from them to make sure everything is just the way we'd like it (it always is). Everywhere is immaculate - the lift is full of shiny surfaces that fingerprints would show easily, yet somehow someone has always cleaned the instant before you enter. There is a great fragrant smell everywhere - pleasant, just the right amount, and evocative - if I catch this scent when I am anywhere else, in my mind I am taken right back to everywhere I love in London. Whether you want theatreland or the galleries or the river or shopping, it's just around the corner. I hope we can stay here every month, that would be my idea of time well spent. Thank you to the staff who make things easy and comfortable, very enjoyable. Full marks.

Room Tip: A corner suite overlooking the back door of The National Gallery is hard to beat.
1  Thank Marilyn N
Reviewed 26 November 2013

I was in London with my two friends, and we stayed at the Royal Trafalgar in a junior suite for 4 nights. Nb! There are two Thistle hotels on Whitcomb Street, and I'm guessing we're not the first ones to go for the wrong one first. But once there, from the moment we stepped in until the the minute we left the hotel the service was nothing but impeccable. The staff were friendly and service-oriented in a genuine way.

I've been to a fair number of hotels (and hostels back in the day) in London, so though this was a junior suite, I wasn't expecting much - but was pleasantly surprised! The room was big enough to fit all 3 of us comfortably. It was clean, nicely decorated and quiet so as to provide a good night's sleep. Contrary to my fears, there was no problem with draft, chilliness or hot water (the shower was very nice). The room had a hair-dryer, tv, books/magazines, a kettle, an iron and a safe.

The location is as good as it gets: right behind the National Gallery you are within an easy walking distance from Soho, Piccadilly, Westminster and Leicester Square/Covent Garden. For us the value for money ratio was unbeatable, and I would most definitely recommend the hotel for anyone wishing to stay comfortably in the middle of London.

Room Tip: If you can, go for the junior suite - it's spacious, well equipped and airy. Plus they are at th...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 November 2013

There are two Thistles on Whitcomb St - we found the right one on the second try! The lobby is very nice and comfortable, and the staff are friendly and chatty. I mentioned on my booking form that it was my 30th birthday and I'd like a room with a view if possible - both my parents and I did receive rooms with nice views of the London Eye, Nelson's Column, etc, which was lovely. There was a good tea tray, and when I left a note requesting LOTS more tea and sugar, I returned to find the tray overflowing! I was really impressed, and actually rather touched, to return to my room at the end of the day and find a little box of truffles and a handwritten note from the receptionist wishing me a happy birthday - just lovely. On the downside, the rooms are very small even by London standards, there was shampoo but no conditioner, and a drunk man howling like a dog kept me awake for a while...there is some noise from the street on occasion. My parents felt like the size of the room was disappointing for the price, but I thought it was a good deal considering the location. The room was nicely decorated and in good condition, and the staff were very helpful with storing our bags on our last day and letting us access them a couple of times. Happy to recommend.

Room Tip: Request a room with a view - can't hurt, and the staff seem eager to please.
Reviewed 25 November 2013

I was in London with my wife for a celebration and was hoping for a very special weekend. I had chosen The Royal as it was perfectly positioned for the theatre and the restaurant I had booked. On arrival at the hotel, the reception staff, two young women and the porter all greeted us warmly. We had arrived earlier than check in time (2.00pm) however we were checked straight in by a very polite, friendly and efficient young woman. Our room, 603, was ready which was perfect as I had booked afternoon tea for my wife at Brumus for 2.00. 603 is at the back of the hotel so it is very quiet. It was an Executive King and had all the space my wife and I needed. The room was very clean as was the shower room. (No bath in this room but lovely big shower with drenching shower head)
After a full afternoon and evening, retired to the room for an extremely comfortable nights sleep in the super-wide bed. Check out time is a very civilised midday allowing a deliciously decadent lie-in.
Left our luggage in the secure Left luggage room behind reception and joined the other tourists wandering the streets, window shopping for Christmas presents. Of the hotel I can say without hesitation, wonderful staff, lovely room and absolutely brilliant location.

Room Tip: If you can, stretch to the Exec King; more room and very big bed!
Reviewed 15 November 2013

We stayed at this hotel earlier this week, and had a wonderful stay.

On arrival, just after noon, our room was ready, which was a bonus as we were able to drop off our bags and freshen up. Although not the biggest room we've ever stayed in it was very clean and tidy, and had everything you could ever need (including an iron and ironing board). The bathroom was spotless, and very well fitted out. Toiletries were also provided.

We didn't have an evening meal at the hotel, but did have a drink in the bar, which was comfortable with a nice atmosphere. The breakfast buffet was excellent, with a wide choice of both hot and cold food and a great supply of tea and coffee. As we were among the last to have breakfast we had pretty attentive service too.

The reception staff were superb, and the concierge really helpful. The bar and breakfast staff were also excellent. All in all the staff were much better than we have previously experienced in London hotels.

Given the brilliant location, quality of rooms and standard of service we would certainly put this hotel at the top of our list for future London visits.

2  Thank Phil-Somerset