“Great Staff”

Thistle Trafalgar Square, The Royal Trafalgar
Ranked #198 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed 20 December 2013

My wife and me stayed in a Double Room for a week last month and the staff there were wonderful, always helpful, always courteous and smiling. The concierge especially Lazslo who was very helpful and go out of the way for information. The breakfast was great and we had a dinner 1 night in the restaurant. The foods was just like any first class restaurant in London with great service. Our room was well made except housekeeping should be more consistent with their toiletries. Some day no shower gel were provided and half used soap removed without replacement. Except for this minor irritations, we will certainly recommend this hotel and return to stay again on our next visit to London.

Room Tip: Good Location with helpful staff.
1  Thank tanweekok
There are newer reviews for Thistle Trafalgar Square, The Royal Trafalgar

Reviewed 9 December 2013 via mobile

Me and my husband stayed here recently for his 30th birthday trip away! What a fantastic hotel we decided to stay in! Fantastic
Location! Everything is in walking distance! We only used the tube (northern line) to get to the hotel from euston and again on our way to get the train home! We arrived a little early at the hotel and the room was already ready! When we got to our room a few minutes later reception rang to see if everything was up to standard with the room! (We picked the deluxe room). It was clean, a very good size, a large comfy bed and bright! Not amazing views but you can't have everything! But I was impressed that the staff were so attentive! All staff were extremely friendly and helpful! When we checked out I forgot my phone and had left it in our room. The staff were extremely helpful in getting me to our room we had just checked out of and retrieving it quickly for me! We didn't eat or drink in the hotel but the restaurant and bar looked very nice and the hotel wasn't noisey. There is nothing I can complain about with this hotel and when I visit London again this hotel will be first choice! Thank you for a wonderful stay!

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank Gemski83
Reviewed 3 December 2013

We came to London for a weekend and stayed in the hotel for two nights. The location is great. Near the center, but at the same time very quite. The stuff is eager to please. The concierge was amazing! he was very helpful and knowledgeable. The breakfast was very generous and the rooms are clean and modern.

Reviewed 30 November 2013

Stayed for two nights with colleague in a 3rd floor twin room. Nicely decorated with comfortable beds. Modern but small bathroom, great shower. Enjoyed breakfast each day in the restaurant, with the staff being warm friendly and happy to help with any requests. This hotel is ideally placed for all the sights as well as nightlife. The real star is the friendly staff though.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank 1dws
Reviewed 27 November 2013

Another great stay at this excellent hotel, situated right in the heart of where I want to be. The staff are professional and efficient, yet personable and approachable. I peered in the bottom of the milk jug when pouring my tea, and that was all I had to do, a filled fresh jug was brought in an instant. Reception staff remember your name, once we are in our room and settled, there is a telephone from them to make sure everything is just the way we'd like it (it always is). Everywhere is immaculate - the lift is full of shiny surfaces that fingerprints would show easily, yet somehow someone has always cleaned the instant before you enter. There is a great fragrant smell everywhere - pleasant, just the right amount, and evocative - if I catch this scent when I am anywhere else, in my mind I am taken right back to everywhere I love in London. Whether you want theatreland or the galleries or the river or shopping, it's just around the corner. I hope we can stay here every month, that would be my idea of time well spent. Thank you to the staff who make things easy and comfortable, very enjoyable. Full marks.

Room Tip: A corner suite overlooking the back door of The National Gallery is hard to beat.
1  Thank Marilyn N
Reviewed 26 November 2013

I was in London with my two friends, and we stayed at the Royal Trafalgar in a junior suite for 4 nights. Nb! There are two Thistle hotels on Whitcomb Street, and I'm guessing we're not the first ones to go for the wrong one first. But once there, from the moment we stepped in until the the minute we left the hotel the service was nothing but impeccable. The staff were friendly and service-oriented in a genuine way.

I've been to a fair number of hotels (and hostels back in the day) in London, so though this was a junior suite, I wasn't expecting much - but was pleasantly surprised! The room was big enough to fit all 3 of us comfortably. It was clean, nicely decorated and quiet so as to provide a good night's sleep. Contrary to my fears, there was no problem with draft, chilliness or hot water (the shower was very nice). The room had a hair-dryer, tv, books/magazines, a kettle, an iron and a safe.

The location is as good as it gets: right behind the National Gallery you are within an easy walking distance from Soho, Piccadilly, Westminster and Leicester Square/Covent Garden. For us the value for money ratio was unbeatable, and I would most definitely recommend the hotel for anyone wishing to stay comfortably in the middle of London.

Room Tip: If you can, go for the junior suite - it's spacious, well equipped and airy. Plus they are at th...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 November 2013

There are two Thistles on Whitcomb St - we found the right one on the second try! The lobby is very nice and comfortable, and the staff are friendly and chatty. I mentioned on my booking form that it was my 30th birthday and I'd like a room with a view if possible - both my parents and I did receive rooms with nice views of the London Eye, Nelson's Column, etc, which was lovely. There was a good tea tray, and when I left a note requesting LOTS more tea and sugar, I returned to find the tray overflowing! I was really impressed, and actually rather touched, to return to my room at the end of the day and find a little box of truffles and a handwritten note from the receptionist wishing me a happy birthday - just lovely. On the downside, the rooms are very small even by London standards, there was shampoo but no conditioner, and a drunk man howling like a dog kept me awake for a while...there is some noise from the street on occasion. My parents felt like the size of the room was disappointing for the price, but I thought it was a good deal considering the location. The room was nicely decorated and in good condition, and the staff were very helpful with storing our bags on our last day and letting us access them a couple of times. Happy to recommend.

Room Tip: Request a room with a view - can't hurt, and the staff seem eager to please.