“Fantastic location”

Thistle Trafalgar Square, The Royal Trafalgar
Ranked #201 of 1,078 Hotels in London
Reviewed 3 January 2014

The location could not be better. Within walking distance to just just about everywhere. Used the tube from Heathrow and got off at Piccadilly but Lancaster Square is equally close. Nice room, small but clean. Breakfast was delicious.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Swissie
Write a ReviewReviews (1,612)

Reviewed 26 December 2013

The girl at the reception was very kind and helpful when we arrived. We were celebrating our late wedding anniversary, so she congratulated us, which was nice. Location was very good. We informed the reception that one light bulb was broken and they'd soon fixed it. The bathroom was very small. We informed the reception that the rack in the shower room was broken, but they didn't fix it, so there was no place where to keep your shampoos. The room was opposite housekeeper's room and the noice from there was not nice, as we especially asked for a quiet room. They remembered us with a box of chocolate, as we were celebrating our wedding anniversary. The gesture was nice, but chocolates were old and already dated as they've turned "grey". The ribbon on the box left black stripes on the box, so you could see that the box was packed a long time ago... Didn't like the strong artificial smell of cleaneness all over the place...Did they tried to cover some other smell...? Average hotel, but not a four star I'm afraid...

Room Tip: Ask a room, which is not near the housekeeper's room...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MiaFin
GMThistle2012, General Manager at Thistle Trafalgar Square, The Royal Trafalgar, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Dear Mizott0

Thank you for posting your review. Please accept my sincere apologies for the faulty shelf in the shower room. I apologise that this was not replaced during the stay and that you were not offered an alternative room. I also apologise for the noise coming from the housekeeping team during the day and the inconvenience this caused. I have now spoken to the head housekeeper to ensure this incident is addressed. The chocolates presented as agift where well within their sell by date, so we have sent them back to our supplier for further investigation. On a more pleasant note, it was kind of you to praise the service from our reception team on your arrival. Thank you again for the balanced feedback.

Kindest regards

Richard O'Riordan

Reviewed 24 December 2013

Stayed at the Royal Trafalgar in December for it's location to Ronnie ScottsIt's soho.

The positives:

Very friendly staff, great room and very clean and comfortable.
Excellent location for West End theatre,. Covent garden and soho.

Negatives.
Very slow service in the restaurant both for an evening meal and breakfast. It's buffet service for breakfast and on both mornings there were items missing, no mushrooms, baked beans etc and they took ages to refill. There were plenty of staff on but poor service im afraid.

Patrons were just hanging about waiting for staff to replenish items. One of the waitresses apologised to my friend - apparently they had a new chef!!
I normally stay at the Strand Palace which is a much larger hotel and there have never been and issues here.

Would I stay at the Royal Trafalgar again? Yes, hopefully they will have sorted their restaurant issues out.
?

Room Tip: We had room 315 panoramic windows.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank maximusWales
Reviewed 23 December 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed in the hotel to celebrate my birthday in the big city. It has just been refurbished then and what can I say! The room was tastefully done, clean and spacious. The bed was comfy and enormous. The staff were very courteous and polite and they even give you some suggestions on the best place to go. Breakfast was very good and service is again on high standards. Fantastic location. It's near the tube, M&M World, the National Gallery, walking distance to Chinatown and broadway shows. The only problem was that there were construction noise during the day which was pretty annoying but otherwise a great place to stay.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Isla1331
Reviewed 23 December 2013

We stayed one night for a theatre visit. Parking near by was a bonus even at £35 overnight.
The room was just large enough and well fitted out.Staff were efficient and I got a crunchy bar on checking out!
My only criticism was the bad finish of the brickwork between the double glazing and the outer window. Paid £190 pounds without breakfast. For central London not bad.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ironmanOxon
Reviewed 20 December 2013

My wife and me stayed in a Double Room for a week last month and the staff there were wonderful, always helpful, always courteous and smiling. The concierge especially Lazslo who was very helpful and go out of the way for information. The breakfast was great and we had a dinner 1 night in the restaurant. The foods was just like any first class restaurant in London with great service. Our room was well made except housekeeping should be more consistent with their toiletries. Some day no shower gel were provided and half used soap removed without replacement. Except for this minor irritations, we will certainly recommend this hotel and return to stay again on our next visit to London.

Room Tip: Good Location with helpful staff.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tanweekok
Reviewed 9 December 2013 via mobile

Me and my husband stayed here recently for his 30th birthday trip away! What a fantastic hotel we decided to stay in! Fantastic
Location! Everything is in walking distance! We only used the tube (northern line) to get to the hotel from euston and again on our way to get the train home! We arrived a little early at the hotel and the room was already ready! When we got to our room a few minutes later reception rang to see if everything was up to standard with the room! (We picked the deluxe room). It was clean, a very good size, a large comfy bed and bright! Not amazing views but you can't have everything! But I was impressed that the staff were so attentive! All staff were extremely friendly and helpful! When we checked out I forgot my phone and had left it in our room. The staff were extremely helpful in getting me to our room we had just checked out of and retrieving it quickly for me! We didn't eat or drink in the hotel but the restaurant and bar looked very nice and the hotel wasn't noisey. There is nothing I can complain about with this hotel and when I visit London again this hotel will be first choice! Thank you for a wonderful stay!

• Stayed: November 2013