“We just returned from a wonderful 6-night stay at the Thistle Trafalgar Square in” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Thistle Trafalgar Square, The Royal Trafalgar

Thistle Trafalgar Square, The Royal Trafalgar
Ranked #192 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Cannon Falls
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

This hotel is in a GREAT location for sight seeing, nightlife and convenient to underground stations that will get you anywhere in London. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful and a special thanks to Mani in guest relations who worked with our tour company to get us an upgrade to a Junior suite and Lazlo at the concierges desk for his help and suggestions, they along with the akk of the front desk staff made our stay memorable!

Room Tip: If you can upgrade to a Junior suite for more room during a longer stay.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (282)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Paris, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

There is a lovely friendly atmosphere to this hotel.
Perfect modern and clean bedrooms - I had a great nights sleep.
Staff are very attentive and nothing is too much trouble for them. Breakfast was everything you would need - I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and hope to return when in London on business in the near future!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Peterborough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014

Not sure if this is the correct place to do this review as only went for afternoon tea, didn't actually stay in the hotel so can't comment on the rooms etc. Had bought a Groupon voucher for afternoon tea here for 2 people so decided to take my mother for a treat. Wasn't too hard to find, luckily my Google maps on my mobile was up to the job, first time I've used it too. Anyhow back to the review of our lunch. We arrived half an hour early than we had booked the table for but as there were only a few people in the restaurant the maitre d said there would be no problem with allocating us to a table, we had the choice of quite a few and chose to sit in the window, not that there is much of a view but there was more natural light. A waitress very quickly came to see if we wanted either a glass of champagne, fresh orange or apple juice; of course we opted for the champers! When it was brought out to us we were then asked if we had any dietary needs or conditions of which we didn't but on hindsight should've said we'd prefer the sandwiches to be all in brown rather than white bread as my mother doesn't eat white. But no matter, the selection which we had was sufficient with mini cakes/desserts plus scones. Felt the tea selection could've been a bit better and was a little disappointed that it was tea bags (Twinings), rather than loose tea but it tasted good anyway. We couldn't eat it all and were both rather full so decided to take a wander round to Covent Garden. Will probably go again but using another Groupon offer not to pay the full price.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Endora69
Taunton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

Located just off Trafalgar Square, making the location ideal for central London and for me particularly, access to Whitehall. Friendly staff, lovely room which was quiet and with good facilities. All staff without exception, were helpful and friendly, I had no waiting or issues when I wanted some small extras e.g. luggage storage, information on the tube etc. Breakfast was very nice and overall I would definitely stay here again, I found the whole experience quite relaxing and totally 'hassle free'.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

We arrived at the hotel at 8:30 AM after a long overnight flight. We were very grateful and pleased that the front desk let us check into our room at 8:30 AM at no additional charge.

Throughout our stay(6 days), all the staff without exception were very friendly and accommodating. We always felt we were coming to their home rather than to an impersonal hotel.

This is a modern looking boutique hotel with newly renovated and spotless common areas and rooms. " Helpful Hint": in order to turn on the electricity to the room, the room key needs to be inserted in a slot by the door. The outlets as well as the lights will not work without the room key being inserted. Therefore be sure to get two room keys if you are two travelers or if you need to charge a portable device while you are out of the room( take one key with you and leave the other in the slot). In our room there were lots of lights( recessed as well as lamps) which is good for those of us who need reading glasses!There was an armoire as well as a small cabinet for clothing. We were in an Executive King room 620(top floor) which faced Whitcomb Street. Not a gorgeous view on that side but the room was sun-filled during the day and very quiet( double paned windows) at night. The in- room safe was large enough to hold our 14 " laptop and an iPad .Nice touch was that each day,housekeeping provided one bottle of flat water and one of sparkling water as well as a few cookies. The free wifi worked well with the exception of just a handful of times when lots of people were probably using it, the wifi was a little slow in our room.

This hotel centrally located in London so that most major sightseeing destinations and theaters are close. It is just a few minutes walk from light rail ( Charing Cross) as well as from 3 Tube stations( Piccadilly, Leicester Square, Charing Cross), and from London bus lines that will drop you off practically in front of many major sites.

Airport transportation assistance: For our return to the airport, the front desk ordered a car service for us. It was 65 pounds to Terminal 1 at Heathrow, which is not much more expensive for 2 people than taking a cab to Paddington Station and then taking the Heathrow Express to the airport.
We were sad to leave London and the Thistle at Trafalgar Square, but we will return to both for sure!

Room Tip: We took and would recommend for two people an Executive King room because it had a huge bed and prov...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

The hotel is in a really central position for visiting the theatres, restaurants or just watching the world go by in one of the cafes in nearby Leicester Square.
We have used this hotel many times over the years and it is always welcoming and the quality is consistent.
The staff are attentive and helpful, the rooms are clean and well appointed.
The food in the restaurant is good and reasonably priced in a relaxing atmosphere. Ideal to use before a show.
Definitely worth using if you want to be in the midst of everything.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Raptormad
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014

I booked this Thistle for its location - just off Trafalgar Square and the Veronese exhibition at the NGA on the Square was a major reason for my trip to London. Didn't know the chain, hadn't heard of this hotel, but having been there, I am a huge fan - well I'm not huge - but my fandom is. So I won't speak for the other Thistle's, but if you want a reasonably priced - this is London so one's definition of reasonable must be jiggered a bit - hotel, in a great location, stay here - you will like it, maybe love it.

Right off, the staff - wonderful. The folks in the restaurant - really good food by the way; the folks at the front desk; those in the bar and the lobby lounge (nice fire in the fireplace (gas or fake, not sure, but it was cozy on a typically rainy London afternoon). The woman who kept my room neat as a pin and worried if I had everything I needed - she was wonderful and so earned the tip I gave her when I left.

My room was large - by today's standards where you get a broom closet in Paris for the price Louis paid for all of Versailles - with a comfortable king bed. Lots of western light - at the end of a long day of museum-going, nothing nicer than to lie on the bed and let the warmth of the late afternoon sun ease the aches from your art-soaked body.

The bathroom was quite small, but usable. The one serious problem I had was the shower which never worked right during my stay - the water lurched from steaming hot to cold, spending no more than 20 seconds on either variant and hardly passing through the interim - just leaping from one to the other. Oh well, I mentioned it to management and perhaps they'll fix it.

Stay on the 4th floor or higher - above the roof line of neighboring buildings. My room, 426, was fine - but for the shower.

Breakfast - prepaid - was 12 pounds and pretty much worth that - reasonable selection, but the espresso is extra - don't like that idea at all.

I had dinner there one evening because I had theater tickets and the theater was close to the hotel - a very pleasant surprise - I had the slow-cooked duck and it was quite tasty. And the service was wonderful - the restaurant staff is just really good.

I liked the bar, but for the ubiquitous tv's with sports playing - interfered with a rather good selection of music playing through the sound system - if you must, leave the tv's playing but on mute, especially when no one is looking at them!

I really liked this place - I would definitely choose it again. Location is brilliant - next door to the NGA, 25 minute walk along the river to Tate Modern, 10 minutes to Houses of Parliament, 15 minutes to Buckingham Palace - lots of public transportation within 5 minutes walk including the District Line and Circle Line.

You won't be disappointed - unless they haven't fixed my shower and then you'll be perturbed. Oh, and it's quiet up in the room, away from the street noise - but a small street so not much traffic.

Room Tip: Go 4th floor or higher for more light. I had the Executive Standard which was large in comparison to...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo