Strand Palace Hotel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$212
US$269
US$200
Agoda.com
  • Restaurant
The Nadler Kensington(London)(Great Value!)
US$137
US$114
US$218
US$191
galahotels.com
  • Restaurant
Park Grand London Kensington(London)(Great Value!)
US$134
US$120
10,865 results
All reviewscovent gardenwooden shuttersgin palacegreat locationmask bartrafalgar squaresingle roomcharing cross stationwest endlounge barexecutive roomtheatre landcentral locationlarge hotelrooms are smalllondon eyefull english
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 26 November 2013

We stayed in an executive room which was very clean and quite big. A huge bed with firm mattress sky tv on large flatscreen and bottled water, bathrobe and slippers. Lovely clean bathroom and plenty of fluffy towels. Good shower but no bath. Excellent freshly cooked plentiful breakfast in smaller dining room away from crowds, seated and served immediately. Polite atttentive staff. Location of hotel couldn't be better and we could walk to most of the places we wanted to visit. We really enjoyed our stay and cant wait to return.

Room Tip: Choose a room at back of hotel...no view but a quiet nights sleep
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Clare J
DavidMacrae, General Manager at Strand Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2013

Dear Clare,

So glad you liked our hotel – I can’t wait to welcome you back again.

Reviewed 26 November 2013

My daughter and I visited London in November and had a marvellous stay at this central, well run hotel. I had first stayed there as a child many years ago on my first visit to London! The Reception Area is light, airy and very clean. The bedroom [we opted for an upgrade to Club Twin] was situated in the middle of the building, and was very quiet - we both slept really well! The en-suite was well stocked and pristine. The room itself was spacious for the price, and the bedlinen crisp and beds comfortable. Breakfast was very good - slight problem on the Saturday morning when we had to go to the overspill restaurant which houses the Indian Restaurant at night - but this only proves the popularity of the Hotel! Staff were friendly and efficient. Late night drinks in the Mask Bar were delightful and we made some new friends! I would really recommend this Hotel for anyone, but especially "ladies" travelling together as it so central. Covent Garden is five minutes walk, several theatres only moments away [we saw the Bodyguard which was fabulous] and we splashed out on cocktails at The Savoy which is just across the road! I shall not leave it another thirty years before returning!! Well done to all.

Room Tip: Would suggest upgrading to Club Rooms if possible
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Dear Agatha,

Welcome back! Thirty years! Don’t leave it so long next time!

Seriously, many thanks indeed for your wonderful review which I thoroughly enjoyed reading.

Reviewed 26 November 2013

I stayed at the Strand Palace for two nights on business. It is perfectly located for Covent Garden, very close to the Tube, walkable to much of central London, and would be fine for tourists who haven't stayed in London hotels before. I didn't require much from the hotel, so wasn't disappointed by my room, which I found perfectly comfortable. The problem was trying to get into the gym, ever. The gym only opens at 7am, by which point there is already a queue of people waiting to get a workout before breakfast; once in the gym, there aren't enough machines for everyone, and most guests aren't going to be courteous enough to file into the room in an orderly manner. I was one of three people standing outside the gym door at 6:45, but ended up having to leave the gym once everyone dashed past me to get to the machines first. For a hotel as big as the Strand Palace, who must know that many of their clientele probably have meetings to get to at 9:00, why in the world would they set such stupid hours for a gym? Completely stupid policy.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank nipedwar
DavidMacrae, General Manager at Strand Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your generally kind comments about our hotel but I was really very disappointed to read that you had such a bad experience with the use of the gym. It is certainly not acceptable that you queued but were then pushed past by other guests. I do readily admit that there can occasionally be times when there are more people than machines available.

Reviewed 25 November 2013

I stayed at this hotel twice, the first time about a month ago for 4 nights, I spent the first night without sleep in a noisy room facing the main road, I was moved to a room on the 9th floor by the kitchen chimney for the 2nd night with food smell in the room. After I complained they moved me to a room on the 5th floor and relatively it was much better than the first 2 nights. Because of the location (it is a 6 minutes walk to my work) I asked my assistant to book this hotel for my current trip which lasts for 3 weeks. Based on the feedback they received, I was given a room on the 6th floor which was OK. After 5 nights, I found out on a Sunday morning at 8 am that my shower knob was broken and it only had hot water. I called housekeeping, reported the problem and also asked them to put drycleaning forms in the room as I used the one they already had. I returned to the hotel at 12:30 pm, only to find that my room was not cleaned and shower was not fixed. I stopped at the front desk, told them again that I had a problem with the shower. I went out again since nothing was done in the room and returned to the room at 4 pm. The room was clean but the shower knob still looked off, so I called the operator and asked to confirm with a manager that it was fixed. I also told her that I had to leave early next am and wanted to make sure that it was fixed. Monday am, 6 am, I turn the water on, same hot water, I fiddled with the door knob and it did not work. I washed my hair in the sink and used a wet towel to clean and left for work. I moved to another hotel. PLEASE DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME HERE! The hotel is still standing because of its location.

Room Tip: Do not waste your time!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Myname617
DavidMacrae, General Manager at Strand Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2013

Dear Guest,

I am really sorry to read that an unfortunate coincidence of circumstances meant that both your recent stays were not the best of experiences for you and that we were unable to get that shower handle fixed sooner than we did.

I do take your point about how conveniently we are located for many business guests but we do not take this for granted. We know that we have to provide good facilities too and in the experience of the overwhelming majority of our guests, on business and leisure, I believe we do, and at a good value.

Again, I would like to offer my regrets that this was not so in your case.

Reviewed 25 November 2013

We had one night on the way back to the States from 6 weeks in Turkey and Greece. Thought we'd take in a show. This is the hotel for that - within walking distance of at least a dozen theaters both large and small. Within walking distance of my favorite pub, the Lamb and Flag, and especially Gordon's Wine Bar on the Embankment. Nice room - really liked that I could finally brush my teeth with water from the sink - great bed. Nice staff. The breakfast was above average - very efficient breakfast staff. The most reasonably-priced hotel we found among the extortionate rates that are common in central London - we will use this as a base in the future.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Debbie,

I am both glad and sad! Glad that you enjoyed your stay with us so much, sad that it was only for one night. But you clearly packed a lot into your short visit.

Your kind comments are gratefully received, thank you, especially about my staff and our being good value. I look forward to having the chance of seeing you both again, for a longer period next time I hope.