“I wish I had a better experience”

Strand Palace Hotel
Ranked #447 of 1,076 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 3 December 2013

I stayed at this hotel 2 times last week (22-30 Nov) while on a business trip (I had to check out on one night on 26 Nov in between).

My company arranged the booking and was paying for it. Upon arrival, a lady at the reception checked me in and informed me I had a double room but I informed her my booking was a single room. She replied by saying that it was complimentary and price will be the same. She asked for my credit card and said she will need to swipe it in case I have any extras -I didn't have any. However, 2 days later I received a msg from my bank that £120 was charged on my card by the Strand Palace. I spent 2 days trying to sort out this with the front office staff with no luck. I talked to 3 staff members and each of them gave me a different answer and one in particular (Cam..) insisted that I asked for an upgrade although I didn't sign any form related to this and she kept me waiting for a long time and then told me to call the reservations team once I'm back to my country! Another staff member (Jul...) "confidently" said that they will not charge anything on my card without giving me a receipt and I showed her the msg I received from my bank and she told me to come back later. The same happened with a third staff member.

It was only the fourth staff member that I talked to when checking out at 4 AM who was professional enough to genuinely check my bookings and asked me to contact the accounts section as it didn't look right to charge on my credit card without my knowledge and no proof of me asking for an upgrade. He (Ousama) was considerate and apologised for the inconvenience. I called the Accounts today and they said they will refund me in 2 weeks time (I hope they do!)

Anyhow, TV in room 856 does not work properly and it's full of dust on the top (spotted that while trying to check what was wrong with it ) and the door key lock of room 267 does not actually lock. I informed the reception to have it fixed but they didn't do anything.

Good things, well, breakfast is ok, location is central and Dawaat Indian restaurant located inside hotel is worth trying.

I left a feedback card in my room 267 before I checked out second time, hope management will have a look at it and make an effort to rectify. My advice, be careful when they ask to swipe your credit card.

Room Tip: The higher you go, the better
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Alaa_QT
DavidMacrae, General Manager at Strand Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2013

Dear Guest,

My apologies that you had a bad experience over your complimentary upgrade. I am glad that we were able to sort this out though I am sorry it took such unnecessary time and effort on your part.

We have your feedback card and obviously your comments in this review, thank you, and have dealt with the issues you raise. The refund will be effected as promised, of course.

Thanks again.

Reviewed 30 November 2013

Small room, bathroom lacks luxury, rooms appear packed in, but: breakfast excellent, everything you would wish for; bars and restaurants in the hotel very welcoming as were the staff; brilliant location for central theatres, etc. within easy walk; less expensive than local competitors. Would recommend.

Room Tip: Had inward facing room up on the eighth floor so little external noise - views out of the window wer...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Skoosh
1  Thank Martin D
DavidMacrae, General Manager at Strand Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 December 2013

Dear Martin,

Thank you for recommending us and for your nice comments about our hotel and staff.

Reviewed 29 November 2013

We have stayed at the Strand Palace Hotel on many occasions and always found the front of house staff very pleasant and helpful. The bar staff can be a bit more difficult. We splashed out on an Executive room and found it was very good with lots of room and extra things to make the stay more pleasant, including the separate table service breakfast lounge which is good for pensioners as it saves the buffet barging.
We did not use the in-house restaurant as we prefer to go to the place next door and to drink opposite in the Coal Hole for a bit of London atmosphere. Worth a visit is the small Strand Church opposite the hotel.

Room Tip: When in a standard room always ask for one where the bed can be accessed from both sides as some hav...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank PensionerWiltshire

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. I am delighted to read that you are frequent guests at our hotel and I am glad that your recent stay was a good one. As you correctly surmise, we do have a variety of accommodation packages at different prices. This is so we can satisfy the budgets of all our guests.

I look forward to having the chance to welcome you back on another occasion, when please do mention to my front of house staff what difficulty you have had with my bar staff – we need to know so we can address this.

Thanks again.

Reviewed 27 November 2013

I stayed in this hotel for a number of times during last 10-15 years. The only good thing abnout it is its location, which is quite close to a number of major attractions. Otherwise I can not say anything too positive about it - this kind of property would be rated just as 3-star and would be 2-3 times cheaper in major cities of the continental Europe and Asia. Rooms are kind of OK, though are rather basic and small. A large number of room do not have any view or even a sunlight (facing the inner wells of the hotel). Breakfast is not bad, but it is the same every day, so after two times you do not enjoy it any much. Room cleaning can be quite late in a day. The receiption area is always crowded and there only place to change (if your room is not ready while you need to go fo a meeting or elsewhere) is a public toilet. All in all, I would not stay there if I would plan my own trips (my bookings were made by a company, so I did not have a choice).

Room Tip: Try to get room facing a street - at least you would have some daylight and if you are lucky - even...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank SergeDem
DavidMacrae, General Manager at Strand Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2013

Dear Guest,

I was sorry to read that your company gives you no choice about where to stay when you come to London. I would much rather you be a guest happy staying with us, obviously, as I believe most of our guests are.

Strand Palace, which has a 3 star rating by the way, not a 4 star (due primarily simply to our having no spa type facilities) may well be more expensive than equivalent hotels you are familiar with in Asia and Europe, as you suggest, but London is a more expensive city than most and we are bang in the centre of things. Even saying that, we have a reputation for providing extremely good value accommodation for business travellers in this part of London, with a very wide variety of rooms at different prices to suit all budgets, including the one presumably set by your company. Try to get them to upgrade you on one of your next trips. I think you will be pleased and reassured that Strand Palace is not just about location.

Reviewed 27 November 2013

We have stayed at the Strand Palace on a number of occasions while in London. It is in walking distance of Trafalgar Square area and a bus ride to other attractions. Our room was clean and tidy on first floor, it didn't have a view which wasn't a big deal.Help yourself Breakfast can be served in one of two restaurants. You can buy tickets for the buses etc and museums etc at the Hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
DavidMacrae, General Manager at Strand Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2013

Dear Derick,

Many thanks for your review, much appreciated. I hope we will have the chance of seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 27 November 2013

This hotel is in a really good, central location close to Covent Garden. The reception desk was long, with a queuing system and all the desks were staffed, so checking in was as quick as it could be. I stayed in a standard kingsize room on the 4th floor, facing the Strand. It wasn't too noisy, apart from the usual police sirens and a couple of instances of loud drunken idiots on the Strand shouting at the top of their voices around 2am. Initially, I had not pulled the wooden shutters closed across the windows (there are also net curtains) but did so after being woken by the drunks on the street. After that I heard nothing. Not sure if the shutters work, or whether there were no more drunks (or police cars).

The room is sizeable for London; you could say huge compared to some. It had a kingsize bed made up of two single beds locked together. It was firm and comfortable. Pillows, less so. There was a round table and two chairs, a desk, mirror and chair. Decent flat screen TV with normal TV channels plus movies etc. Wardrobe had a personal safe in it, which is always a bonus. Bathroom was quite average; shower over bath, with curtain. Decent hot water. Not much else to say really.

Overall, a very comfortable hotel room. Not luxurious, but comfortable enough to stay for work or pleasure given its great location.

It is a very very busy hotel and you first see this as you wait for an elevator to go down for breakfast. There are three elevators and whilst i was there one was out of action (I think) as it was always sat at the 3rd floor. This made the other two extremely busy and as there are around 9 or 10 floors, they were often full by the time they came down to you.

You are told breakfast is taken in one of the hotel restaurants (which is a carvery in the evening). Only when you turn up for it, you are told it is full and directed to the second restaurant (an Indian in the evening). This was also very busy and the tables are quite closely packed in. There is one area with cold buffet food and a second area with hot food. I use the word 'hot' but to be honest, it was lukewarm. There were plenty of eggs, scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon etc. but it was not kept hot enough. By the time you had put it on a (cold) plate and returned to your table, it was too cold to eat. They were in chaffing dishes with heaters underneath but something was wrong somewhere! there was also a certain lack of attention. For example, most places you help yourself to a buffet, but are served tea and coffee. Here you go off and get yourself a thermos flask of tea or coffee yourself; only no one explains this and yo are left to figure it out for yourself. A colleague told me that when he had been previously, he had been upgraded to a superior room and that he had eaten in the other restaurant, which had been table service. Not sure how true that would have been for my visit as when I was turned away from the first place I had not given my room number.

Check-out was as quick as dropping the key card in a post box and walking out. We had no bill to settle and so cannot comment on the check-out desks, although at around 9am they did seem busy.

Overall, I recommend this hotel as a place to stay, just watch out for the breakfast experience.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room, they designate some rooms with this title, away from the Strand if you are a l...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Gadgeteer1066

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your very comprehensive review of our hotel. I am delighted that you like us though disappointed that you found your breakfast experience to be less good than it should be and than I know it normally is. It is true that there is a separate breakfast room for guests who have booked an executive room but this is no excuse for the other room to be problematic in terms of hot dishes and plates. Normally this is not an issue and I am sorry your experience that morning was not great.

It was unfortunate that day that one of the lifts was out of action – my apologies that this caused some inconvenience to you and other guests.

We look forward to seeing you again on your next business trip.

Reviewed 26 November 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights on a Friday and Saturday.
The hotel from the outside looks lovely and is perfectly located within walking distance of many tourist attractions (Leicester Square, Covent Garden, Buckingham Palace, Westminster)
We arrived early at 11am hoping to drop our bags off in storage as check in wasn't until 2pm. However, when I went to the front desk they already had a room clean and ready and let us check in at 11am! This was such a big help and much appreciated.
The hotel itself is lovely. Staff all seemed very friendly. We were on the 8th floor in a double room that wasn't huge, but had everything we needed and was cosy. Granted there was quite a bit of noise on the Saturday night from the main road, but there were wooden shutters infront of our window that do help with keeping the noise out. It didn't stop us from sleeping and was quite comforting listening to the hustle and bustle of London whilst being tucked up in a cosy room!
We asked for an iron and were told there was an ironing room on our floor which was handy!
The bed was comfy and we had plenty of tea, coffee and biscuits. There is a good choice of channels to watch on the television and the bathroom was nice and spacious.
I can't fault this hotel at all. The only thing I would say is that the room was a bit smaller than I had thought it would be, but it wasn't really an issue.
I would definitely stay here again. The location was spot on and it's a very welcoming and warm hotel. We really enjoyed our stay.

1  Thank Raphiella87

Dear Raphiella,

I am delighted that we were in a position to give you an early check-in and pleased that your stay was a success. Your kind remarks about my staff and the hotel overall are very much appreciated and we look forward to your next stay with us.