“Good Standard, Excellent location” 4 of 5 bubbles

Strand Palace Hotel
Ranked #386 of 1,087 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Clapham, United Kingdom
“Good Standard, Excellent location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2013

We stayed here in December with 2 "King " rooms which contained everything you needed for a short stay. The location is excellent for theatres, restaurants etc all in walking distance.
We ate in the carvery which was very good with a selection of meats and vegetables at good value. The bar meal sandwiches were not so good, wrong order and the bread was a bit dry.
The staff were plentiful and helpful although check in is a bit slow.
Overall I would still recommend this hotel and be willing to return

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
DavidMacrae, General Manager at Strand Palace Hotel, responded to this review, 22 December 2013
Dear Richard,

Many thanks for your review and for recommending us. I am sorry if we got your bar order wrong – I hope it was swiftly corrected. I look forward to your next stay with us.

David MacRae

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,473)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Hull uk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2013

I stayed here for 1 night with work which they paid for so I cant comment on the value for money. We originally had twin rooms booked but when we checked in, we were told we had single rooms allocated. This wasnt a problem for me but another collegue was with her young daughter so this caused an issue. I have heard that they often over book rooms. The rooms themselves were nice, clean and modern. Not really big but big enough. The bed was very comfortable, i had a really good nights sleep. The staff were very friendly and welcoming.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Dear Katy,

Thank you for your review. I would just like to say that we don’t overbook but I do apologise that there seemed to have been an initial confusion over your room allocation. Please let your company book with us again for you – I am sure it will be better next time.

NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2013 via mobile

Had a decent stay, nothing spectacular. Check in was lengthy, due to a long line. I asked for a higher floor and was accommodated. The hotel is quite old looking, but definitely in a good location. Charing Cross tube is minutes away. The phone in my room was not working, and I had to go downstairs to let them know, I also asked for a charger and was told none was available. The in house electrician, was friendly and helpful. He came in fixed my phone, and gave me a charger to use, until my stay was over. I must say he definitely made me give this hotel a favorable review, just because of his kindness. The rooms were ok, for one person I was satisfied. My room did not have a view, and being on the 8th floor it was rather noisy. Also the hallway was cluttered with all the cleaning going on by staff. I can't say I will be back, to stay for it was nothing memorable. Be aware, if you request an early check in, they charge you 30 extra pounds. Just drop your bags off,enjoy the city and come back for check in.

Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Globetrekkergj
DavidMacrae, General Manager at Strand Palace Hotel, responded to this review, 20 December 2013
Dear Guest,

I was sorry to read that you had a long waiting line to check-in. At very busy times this can sometimes happen though I am pleased to say it is not the norm. I was also disappointed to see that you thought Strand Palace was an old looking hotel (it was built in 1909 and is a listed historic London building though it has been refurbished inside several times over the years) and the outside has been fully restored to its former glory only this year.

I am glad that you found the service of our in-house electrician helpful. He will be pleased to read your kind comment about that.

Wales
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2013

Stayed here for two nights in an 'executive single room'. I knew it was an executive room because they told me and had screwed a plaque to the door saying so.

There was a massive queue on check in and it took a while. They bungled my payment details from the company agent, which I had to sort out the next day. I would say the service was a bit on the cool side and a bit disinterested on check out. It wasn't a big deal, but I have had better.

The room was ok for a single room, but with wooden shutters to draw instead of curtains and a long, narrow layout it was a lot like a decent halls of residence. I was in an internal room so did not have outside noise, but I still heard thumping music after midnight and was woken by someone's hair dryer early the next morning.

The location is good for theatre land and London in general. If you were staying a night because you were at the theatre or something and need to lay your head then this is OK, but I think then the Travelodge or something like that is better value.

I just thought it was a bit basic, but did have a complimentary newspaper, nice toiletries and it was clean and tidy and the shower was good.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Andrew R
Dear Andrew,

I was disappointed to read that you did not like every aspect of your room and if my reception staff appeared less than welcoming and friendly I am very sorry.

I do hope though we will see you again on another business trip to London.

Leicestershire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2013

This was our first visit to this hotel and we were very impressed. Having read the reports of some previous visitors and having paid above the odds through Superbreak we did request that our room should be a reasonable size. The front of house Manager was charming and met our request, so we have nothing bad to say about reception. Lovely clean room, breakfast very good and FREE internet.
The location is excellent - a short walk to Covent Garden and Trafalgar Square. Bus stops right outside the hotel and tube very close by. We would certainly stay there again.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front tend to be noisier
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank MrandMrsR
Dear Guests,

I am delighted that you have discovered Strand Palace and that you liked your stay. We certainly would love to have you back with on another occasion when I recommend you book direct with us for the best offers.

Palmyra, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2013

The Strand Palace Hotel is in a great location. A short walk to Covent Garden, Somerset House, Trafalgar Square and a good local pub called George. The hotel has been recently renovated. Our room was not luxurious but comfortable and the bathroom was equipped with hair dryer and good, large towels. I didn't use the toiletries so can't speak for them but there was an ample supply. The room also has a free safe, very useful.

There was no noise in the hallway but outside noise at night was plentiful. The room is equipped with sliding wooden shutters which, when closed, screened out the street noise. In December that wasn't a problem but at a time of year when you'd want the windows open you might prefer an interior room.

Buffet breakfast is offered in a pleasant room and was included with our room. There were many choices of food. The staff and the concierge were very helpful and pleasant. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank brilligsmate
Dear Guest,

I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and I would like to thank you especially for your kind comments about my staff. When you are next in London, we would love to see you and your family again.

Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2013 via mobile

I stayed in this hotel for 3 nights and I don't have any complains. It was business trip and company payed for my stay, so I can't say anything about price.
Rooms are very clean and breakfast is very good, full english breakfast :)

Location is THE BEST. You are only 10 minutes walk from London Eye and 15 from Westminster (Big Ben), Park Lyne and Buckingham Palace are also in walking distance.

There are some very good pubs and restaurants near hotel.

I enjoyed my stay in London!

Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay in London and that we contributed to making it so. Thank you. And please tell your company that we would love to see you again!