“A Great Stay”

GreenLeadersGold level
Portsmouth, Hants
“A Great Stay”
Reviewed 13 February 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for two nights and really enjoyed it. Our room was fine, immaculately clean, efficient heating and everything we needed. The check in was painless with lovely staff. In fact, every member of staff we encountered was friendly, smiling and couldn't have been more helpful. Breakfast was a real highlight, with whatever you wanted from fruit, toast and Danish pastries to a full English! Sadly we didn't get to eat dinner as we were out to shows on both evenings! I will certainly stay here again next time I am in London!

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
DavidMacrae, General Manager at Strand Palace Hotel, responded to this review, 15 February 2014
Dear Guest,

Looking forward to seeing you again soon – thank you very much indeed for a wonderful review.

David MacRae

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,562)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 12 February 2014

I'm here now and horrified at how thin the walls are. Being woken to my next door neighbours having sex is not what I expect, they may as we'll be in the same room. No use calling reception as the said neighbours will hear every word, horrible experience, bring a family here at your own risk.

• Stayed February 2014
DavidMacrae, General Manager at Strand Palace Hotel, responded to this review, 13 February 2014
Dear Natalie,

Don’t hesitate to call reception!

Rome, Italy
Reviewed 12 February 2014 via mobile

The reception was fine, the lobby is busy being a big hotel. The position is fabulous right by Covent Garden and theatre land. I was pleasantly surprised by the size, decor and cleanliness of the room, a quiet room facing the back street. Well, quiet until the people next door make a minimum of noise because the walls are very thin and every sound can be heard, from talking, to coughing, to rustling paper. This was disturbing and meant I had two bad nights sleep. Pity, I would have liked the place.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Dear David,

I was delighted to read that you liked most things about our hotel – thank you for writing about us - although I apologise if you had a disturbed sleep from the people in the next room. I can imagine how annoying that must have been.

Copenhagen
Reviewed 12 February 2014

We just came back from a 3 day/2 night stay in London, for my birthday. We chose this hotel after reading the reviews on Trip Advisor. I'm a very light sleeper and was convinced that an inner room would be very quiet, according to the reviews. The only minus was the constant sound of some sort of ventilator, which would have caused me to ask for another room, had we stayed longer. Other than that, the location of the hotel was perfect! It was a few minutes walk down the street to Charing Cross station and walking distance to just about everywhere. The room was perfect for us. New, modern, very clean,perfect utilisation of space. Big enough to move around in, a built-in closet, desk and chair, very nice bathroom. Comfortable bed. Loved the wooden shudders on the windows! Kept the room dark and cosy. We bought same-day theatre tickets for "We Will Rock You" at the hotel and got the best seats for almost half-price. My only suggestion to the hotel would be to "healthy-up" the buffet breakfast (f.ex. with low-fat dairy, whole-grains, fresh berries and more fruit, and eliminate the white bread, sugared cereals and fatty meats! Really. You'd be doing everyone a favour ). We whole heartedly recommend this hotel, which we'll be returning to again and again!!!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review – I am particularly pleased that we were able to source you such good value tickets for your show. I take your point about breakfast – our offering is always under review.

I hope to see you again on one of your next trips. I can’t guarantee everything breakfast-wise will be in place or that we will be able to get such good value tickets to another show (though we will do our best) but I can promise you another great stay!

Bolton le Sands, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 February 2014

This is a very smart clean hotel in a very central location.5 mins from Covent Garden and several theatres.5 mins from Trafalgar Square.Excellent breakfast.Twin rooms quite cosy but very quiet! Bathroom immaculate .Staff very pleasant and helpful.Would happily stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Stephanie,

I loved reading your review – thank you very much indeed.

Perth, Australia
Reviewed 11 February 2014

Check in was a bit of a nightmare - my room was a gift from someone else and they were told they'd be charged on booking. Not so. I showed up to check in and they asked me for the card, which I of course didn't have! Cue frenzied phonecalls to Australia and more messing about...

Got up to the room - not really big enough for two people (despite having two very narrow beds). Bathroom was lovely, although the toilet had some trouble.

Location is absolutely perfect - right by the theatre district, Trafalgar square, about a ten minute walk to Buckingham Palace, Big Ben, etc... Absolutely fantastic!

Room service was great and so was housekeeping. Would stay again.

Room Tip: Pay for an executive room.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
DavidMacrae, General Manager at Strand Palace Hotel, responded to this review, 12 February 2014
Dear Guest,

I do apologise for what must have a really annoying problem for you on check-in. We have learned some lessons from that. I am really grateful to you for your understanding over it and am pleased that this doesn’t seem to have spoilt your stay too much. When you are next over in London we would love to see you again.

Reviewed 10 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for one night, mainly due to the location of the Adelphi Theatre. We couldn't fault the hotel..everything was as expected although a massive thank you to the general manager for making the birthday extra special by the bottle of prosecco supplied to our room. Fantastic attention to detail. Woul definitely recommend to others..spotlessly clean, although quite small, but who needs to spend time in the room?

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Teresa,

We enjoyed having you stay with us and you were very welcome to the bubbly!

Thank you very much for posting your review.