“If you are looking for a hotel with a great location then look no further!”

Strand Palace Hotel
Ranked #459 of 1,077 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 22 February 2014

I keep going back to this hotel so much so that it it feels like home from home! I love that you are so close to tube stations, Covent Garden and theatres. I love shows and always make an effort to see a few while visiting London so this hotel is perfectly situated for me. The rooms are always very comfortable and the staff are usually very accomodating. I think good service and 'made to feel special ' on arrival and when checking out is what helps to make up your mind to return to the hotel instead of going elsewhere, which is what I will definitely be doing when I return to Strand Palace Hotel in April.

Room Tip: Try for a room facing courtyard - you won't have a view but it is so much quieter.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
DavidMacrae, General Manager at Strand Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

Dear Brenda,

It is always a delight for us at Strand Palace when a guest says we feel like their ‘home from home’. I am really pleased that you like us so much. Thank you. See you in April!

David MacRae

Write a ReviewReviews (10,058)

Reviewed 21 February 2014

Stayed here for one night on a business trip to London. Great, central location - good for the City, for Westminster and Theatreland.

It's a pretty big place, with lots of functions going on, so it can always seem a bit crowded (especially when waiting for the lifts).

I arrived to check-in and was told (by the smiling and helpful check-in assistant) that I had been upgraded to an Executive Room (basically a bit bigger, and with a double bed). I had called ahead and asked that any feather bedding be removed from my room and to have a quiet room. Well, one out of two isn't bad! No feathers, but the Executive Room (on the 3rd floor) looked directly onto The Strand (one of the busiest roads in the area). Still, for one night with the shutters closed, I can handle it ... until the water services company started digging-up the road right outside the hotel. Tried to endure it, but ended up ringing to reception to ask when it would stop. They didn't know but quickly agreed to move me to another room facing the back. It was a standard single, but big enough and functional enough for a one night stay (and pretty much all you can expect for your money in central London). Staff throughout were very quick to act and friendly.

Went down to breakfast in the morning to find that the main dining room was already full. However, (again) friendly staff quickly redirected me to the overspill in another restaurant within the hotel. Good selection of food for breakfast and quick service for tea/coffee.

Check-out was also quick, efficient and friendly.

I'd certainly go back, but will make sure that I get a room away from the front next time!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
DavidMacrae, General Manager at Strand Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review and your great comments about my staff. I know they will be delighted to read them.

I am glad you liked your upgraded room but it was a pity that the emergency work in the street meant you had to move and we didn’t have an equivalent for you. Hope to see you again soon though…

Reviewed 21 February 2014

I stayed for two nights for work. I had a single room which was as described: "cozy". Wasn't much room for maneuvering, but can't really expect more from a single, so that was fine. The room was clean and the neutrally decorated. I would have rated this hotel higher, but it was so noisy at night. I could hear everything happening outside in the hall and was awoken several times by people having loud conversations. I also woke up at 5:30am one morning when the neighbouring room had a shower. It was so loud! I couldn't believe it. I'm a heavy sleeper as well. The bed was pretty comfy and I slept well otherwise. The best thing about the hotel is the location. Only about 2 min walk to Covent Garden and close to transport links.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Dear Courtney,

It was a pity you were woken up early in the morning as this obviously spoiled your stay. My apologies for that but I hope we will have a chance to see you again when you are next in London.

Reviewed 20 February 2014

I took my sister to see a play in Covent Garden for her birthday and decided to book a hotel to stay the night rather than face the last train back home. When we checked in the staff were very polite and helpful and explained where our room was,they offered to take our bags but we only had hand luggage. The room was small but cosey. The bed was comfortable, room and bathroom clean. We had a bath, even though it was a small room which is what I like to see. It was one of the best nights sleep I've had in a while.

We went for cocktails at the bar and the strawberry daquiri was delicious, try one! We also ordered some chips and they were delicious!

Breakfast was slightly disappointing. We had to queue for about 15 minutes outside to then be told to go to a separate entrance where we had to share a small table with a young couple. We didn't mind but I could understand why others might considering you've paid for breakfast. There was a good selection, full English with cereals, continental pastries and cheeses etc. I would have liked to of seen poached eggs but I'm just being fussy. Tea and coffee you helped yourself to, our table could have been a little cleaner. The whole breakfast experience just seemed a little manic to be honest.

Overall though it was an enjoyable stay, great location!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

Dear Ursula,

Many thanks for your review – I appreciate very much your kind comment about my staff as well as your cocktail tip! At peak times breakfast, I accept, can be quite busy – thank you for your understanding about sharing a table. I am delighted though that overall you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed 20 February 2014

We stayed at the Strand Palace Hotel between 13th & 15th February 2014. The hotel is extremely busy and has a constant bustling buzz about it. The guests cover a wide range of nationalities and the entire age range making it a very cosmopolitan to stay. However, due to very pleasant, professional and efficient staff this does not affect the levels of service. Check-in/Check-out was swift and everything we asked for we got - very quickly [iron/ironing board, room service, tour bookings]. The room, a standard double, was comfortable, modern and spotlessly clean but a tad on the small side. This didn't bother us as all we really needed for our short break was a bed, a wardrobe and a WC/Shower. However, if you are staying for longer, have more than 'overnight' bags and intend to do some shopping we would recommend a bigger room. Our room had only a small wardrobe and no drawers or other storage. We picked the hotel based on it's rating, location and price. The location is perfect for theatre goers [like us] and sightseers. Across the road from the world famous Savoy, a five minute walk from Charing Cross tube station, a five minute walk to the Open Top Tour Bus stop [all routes] and not far from Covent Garden, Trafalgar & Leicester Squares. It can be a bit noisy [traffic, sirens etc] at night but hey.......you are staying on a main thoroughfare, The Strand. The hotel would need quadruple glazing to filter all noise out. We treated ourselves to a few cocktails in The Mask Bar in the hotel. This bar has a very pleasant, relaxing atmosphere. Prices were what we expected for a rated hotel slap bang in the middle of it all the action in Englands capital city, that is, expensive. But it was a treat and it was worth it. They don't skimp on the measures. Overall, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at The Strand Palace. We would definitely stay there again and we are thinking of making this trip an annual event.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

What a wonderful review – thank you very much. You have covered almost every aspect of our hotel and been very fair, which I am sure future guests reading your comments will appreciate. If your budget can stretch to it, I recommend paying for an upgraded room on your next visit – you will be very pleasantly surprised.

I hope you do decide to make your trip an annual event - we would love to see you again.

Reviewed 19 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 4 nights in a twin room with my Mum. Ideally situated and within walking distance of Theatre-land, Covent Garden, Trafalgar Square etc. Very comfy beds. Great nights' sleep. Clean bathroom with double shower. Good wardrobe. Surprisingly quiet room, considering city centre location. Helpful and friendly staff, especially the doormen who have the knack of flagging down a taxi in double-quick time! Fantastic trip from start to finish. Wouldn't hesitate to stay here again!

Stayed: February 2014
DavidMacrae, General Manager at Strand Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2014

Dear Gill,

Your review is fantastic too, thank you very much! I am really delighted that you and your mum enjoyed your visit to Strand Palace and I would love to have you both stay with us again.

Reviewed 19 February 2014

I usually stay further out from the centre of London to save money. This was my first central hotel. it is very near to Covent Garden and the whole theatre district and the river. Also within easy walking distance of a couple of other tube stations including Bank. The area was bustling and lively and I loved the site. There was a restaurant and a cafe as part of the property. I didn't eat in but they looked popular and pleasant and were well used. Staff were helpful throughout my stay, and the level of cleanliness was excellent. Breakfasts were very very good. There was a gym but I didn't use it on my stay.
The rooms were a little on the small size but well equipped and modern. The wooded shutters which covered part of the windows at all times made the rooms a little darker than I am used to but to be honest there wasn't much of a view to see anyway. it was quiet even though it was on the Strand which was a big plus for me.
Only negative for me were the beds which were rather hard.
I have marked them average for value, but please take into account I don't usually stay in central London so my experience of cost is limited. I would consider staying again if my budget allowed, and for those of you a bit better off there were a range of different qualities of rooms. We stayed in a standard room

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Sally,

I am very pleased that you have discovered our hotel and thank you for leaving such a nice review. I understand your comment about not being sure about value as this is your first experience of staying in a hotel in central London. As you say, we do have a range of rooms to suit different budgets and we feel we are great value for all room types in what is, I accept, an expensive city. I think it is sometimes worth paying just that bit extra to be so close to the heart of everything. Having said that, keep an eye out for our offers which will help your budget on a future visit.