“Only a few flaws”

GreenLeadersGold level
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Only a few flaws”
Reviewed 27 February 2014

I stayed here for one night to attend London Fashion Weekend. The hotel is well located for most London attractions, Temple underground station being the nearest. Upon arrival, the entrance/lobby/reception areas are well maintained and decorated. The receptionist was friendly (if a little wooden) and issues my room key, WiFi key (which didn't work on my phone - there was a 24hr support line but as I was only staying one night, I didn't bother with this). My only complaint here is that I should've been issued with a voucher for a travelcard, to be exchanged with the concierge in the morning. I did not receive this and when I returned to reception, another member of staff stated that it had been recorded as issued, so he could not issue another. After re-iterating that I did not receive it and explaining that as a solo traveller, I could not make use of a second card, so I'm unlikely to be scamming them for another, a fellow receptionist insisted that they would issue another voucher.

On to the room... after navigating through the corridor (which was reasonably well signed), I entered my a furnace! The radiator had been left on full power and pipes were rattling like a steam train. I managed to turn it off and open the windows, so it soon cooled down. The room itself was as expected; compact but sufficient space for one person (single room). It was very well decorated and felt much more luxurious than the price would suggest. The en-suite was clean and modern, with a few toiletries if needed. Plenty of facilities (kettle, tea/coffee, hairdryer etc) and a decent sized desk and wardrobe. I did make use of the television and morning wake-up call. The latter wasn't really needed as this is where, unfortunately, I have to slate the room. The bed was an absolute nightmare! It was hard in places, soft in others. The pillows were solid and together, this made for very little sleep. I was so upset with this as I wanted to love this hotel.

This is the only problem though. I did attend the Carvery in the morning for a quick breakfast. I would advise to get there earlier, as there was quite a queue to be seated as I was leaving. Food was average, with a full cooked breakfast available, along with continental/fruit/yoghurt etc. I didn't stick around for long as I had to shoot off but the waiting staff offering hot beverages were very friendly and attentive.

The best part of the stay for me was the luggage room - this allowed me to leave my overnight bag whilst I went off for the day. They did struggle to find my bag when I returned but had a hold of it as they invited me in to locate it.

Overall, would possibly stay again if in this area but would probably opt for a double room and hope that the beds are better in these. Very good value for money and staff were mostly very good, just the little hiccup with the travelcard - it was resolved though.

Room Tip: I was to the rear of the building - still quite noisy but it IS London!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
DavidMacrae, General Manager at Strand Palace Hotel, responded to this review, 1 March 2014
Dear Liz,

Thank you for rating us highly on most fronts. I am however sorry that you had that issue with the Travelcard voucher. I am not sure what went wrong there but I am glad that we were able to get that sorted out quickly.

As to your room – I suspect that the previous guest had turned it up and when housekeeping did their work it wasn’t over-hot (otherwise it would have been turned down) but by the time you arrived it was at top temperature. My apologies. And on the subject of the bed, if you didn’t mention this to any of my staff, I would be grateful if you would drop my team an email on: house.managers@strandpalacehotel.co.uk to let us know which room you stayed in so we can have a look at that bed. Thank you.

Please come back another time – we will do everything we can to make you love us, as you say you wanted to!

David MacRae

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,519)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 27 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed for 2 nights with my daughter as a birthday treat, it is an amazing hotel, the staff were really friendly and we were made really welcome the breakfast was fantastic, I couldn't fault the hotel at all, thank you for making my birthday special

Stayed February 2014
Dear Guest,

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and happy birthday again! Many thanks for leaving such a nice review.

Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 February 2014

We stayed for two nights in a standard room, small and basic but just good enough for the money especially in central london. Breakfast was buffet service either in the main restaurant or in the overspill Indian Restaurand in the morning, no problems with the food and it was very good and plentiful. We did not use the bars. Tea and coffee in the rooms along with bottled water and a couple of biscuits, a nice touch was the free cashpoint m/c near reception, much better than using one in the street. The staff were helpful and polite.
The Adelphi Thearte is approx 50 metres away and there is no shortage of pubs and restaurants in the area as expected. Big Ben is a 20 minute walk away. We will use it again if staying in the Strand area.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
DavidMacrae, General Manager at Strand Palace Hotel, responded to this review, 27 February 2014
Dear Guest,

Delighted to read that we will see you again – thank you. If your budget can stretch to it, do try one of our upgraded rooms next time, I think you will be very pleased, they are good value too.

Stamford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Cheaper all inclusive than a basic b&b when you take into account drinks and food. Watch for the timings. Air starts at 2 and the restraunt shuts at 9.30 but the cheese board in the lounge bar is amazing. Man up to delux its well worth it. No cueing for breakfast. Courtyard is very quiet but if you get a room next to housekeeping move, the noise can be all day.

Room Tip: Sorry no swimming pool, clicked wrong button. Street view can be noisey, courtyard very quiet but no...
1 Thank crisfree2
Dear Chris,

Thanks very much for posting your review. This is much appreciated.

Southport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Stayed here for a few nights in February. Great location, right on the Strand, opposite the Savoy. Booked direct with the hotel on a breakfast and travel card deal. I had read that the check in / out process was a nightmare, I found check in to be swift and easy. For check out I used the Express check out box.
Breakfast was very good, only ever a slight wait to be seated and it was well monitored by the staff.
The room was OK, normal London size, not the most modern room but clean and quiet (until the roadworks started at 08:30 which is totally beyond the control of the hotel).
The hotel provides free bottled water in the room each day, a nice simple touch, why don't more do it?

Room Tip: Go for a side room, the Strand never stops being noisy...
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for confirming what we believe here at Strand Palace – a great location at a great price. Fortunately, both roadworks and check-in queues are not too frequent but they do happen, I admit: the price of a popular and busy hotel right in the middle of town!

Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 February 2014

For my wife's birthday we decided to go to London to take in a couple of West End shows and was really pleased we chose the Strand Palace for our two night stay.
The hotel is situated right opposite the Savoy and just a 5 minute walk from Covent Garden, many of the theatres and Trafalgar Square.
The hotel itself is modern, clean with good facilities and all of the staff were very polite from the doorman, receptionists, restaurant, bars and chamber maids.
We had a double room on the second floor facing the courtyard, which was nice and importantly quiet at night ,only gripe was that the mattress was extremely firm and a bit uncomfortable for the wife who didn't have the best night's sleep.
Breakfast was faultless with a wide range of cooked and chilled foods that will satisfy any visitor regardless of nationality, age group or even if a really fussy eater.
We will definitely be back - thank you for a lovely welcoming stay

Room Tip: Rooms facing toward the courtyard are naturally quieter than those facing out onto the very busy Str...
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your really kind comments. I am delighted you had an enjoyable stay. I am only sorry that your wife didn’t have a great night’s sleep – I accept that not everyone is comfortable with a firm mattress. Notwithstanding this, I am very pleased to see we will have the pleasure of seeing you again.

Wales
Reviewed 23 February 2014

I stayed here on a business trip for 1 night in Feb. The hotel has a great location close to the West End for Shows and not far from the river bank, the rooms are clean and comfortable, although basic. The free bottle of Water is a nice extra. The breakfast is nice with a good choice. Overall a great hotel for a good price, I would stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
DavidMacrae, General Manager at Strand Palace Hotel, responded to this review, 24 February 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much – I look forward to having the chance of seeing you again when you are next up in London.