“Bit better than expected.”

Strand Palace Hotel
Ranked #396 of 1,063 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Plymouth, United Kingdom
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 3,304 helpful votes
“Bit better than expected.”
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Very central, quite old and a bit basic but everyone knows the kind of place it is and on that level it works well. Wouldn't come here all the time and usually have breakfast out at one of the numerous cafes close by

Stayed April 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,518)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
belfast
Reviewed 22 April 2014

We stayed 2 nights over Easter , hotel location is great , staff pleasant and helpful beds comfy
Breakfast was great ( if it's included in your room rate. I wouldn't want to pay £18 for it tho )
I would stay here again

1 Thank lizzybizzy2
Melbourne Australia
Reviewed 22 April 2014

I'm a 67 year old female travelling by myself for 6 nights in London before flying to Spain to meet my son for a week. I loved that there were single rooms, just perfect for one person. The bathroom was quite narrow but completely modern, lovely hot showers and very nice supplied toiletries. The desk had an MP3 player on it so I could play all my nice music in the evening after hectic days of sightseeing! I bought an Executive single (which was a bit roomier) and included the breakfast for an extra 9 GBP per day. This turned out to be a real bonus. Those in "executive" rooms got to have breakfast in a lovely private side dining room with linen table cloths, excellent service and a full array of healthy and hearty hot and cold food, including fresh fruit. As I was on a budget, I'd eat a large breakfast which lasted me all day (other than a bottle of water and a piece of fruit for lunch) and then have a light supper from a local cafe or Pret A Manger. My room was quiet, with 2 large windows that could open up and provide fresh air. This was important for me because, coming from Australia, I found that the internal temperatures of all buildings visited was far too hot. I would definitely stay at this hotel again, the location for convenience of buses, tubestation and walking is wonderful. But I'd recommend looking at the Executive level of accommodation.

Room Tip: Upgrade to an Executive room and get the breakfast prepaid - you will dine in a much nicer room and...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Bev D
Darlington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

We started at the Strand Palace for 3 nights when booking in the recepcionist was less than helpful we were given our room card but nothing about free wifi and breakfast we would have to sort that out ourselves staff training would not go amiss there, the room was clean but very small room 103, breakfast was good and staff helpful, would we stay again probably not

1 Thank jean4249
Grimsby UK
Reviewed 21 April 2014

I have stayed at the Strand Palace on three previous occasions and always enjoyed my stay. However, on this occasion I felt a little disappointed after poor check in service and poor quality breakfast. Having arrived before 2pm I was told that check in would not be before then but to try between 1pm and 2pm. I expected this as i had arrived earlier than expected. I tried to check in at around 1.30. After queuing and then going to the first available assistant and giving my name only for her to answer the phone and engage in a conversation and totally ignore me. I moved to the next assistant only to be told that the room was not ready. When i asked when it would be ready the male attendant replied that he did not know. I pointed out that check in was 2pm. He said come back later. I returned at 1.50 having watched around 15 people check in and get their room keys. I was again told the room was not ready and to sit down and wait. Ten minutes later I was allowed to check in. The reason given was that they had reduced staff due to the bank holiday. I would have expected that they would have planned the staff better as the hotel appeared very busy. Not the experience I had on the three previous visits. The buffet breakfast had plenty of variety but the quality of the cooked food was not their usual standard. Dry bacon, over cooked fried eggs. The hotel is in a great position but failed to live up to my previous experiences.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MarinerGrimsbyUK
Michelle L, PA to the General Manager at Strand Palace Hotel, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review.
We would like to apologise for the poor service you experienced on reception. Our Front Office Manager has been made aware of your comments and please be assured that this matter will not be taken lightly.

Thank you once again for taking the time to review your stay and we look forward to you staying with us again.
NC
Reviewed 20 April 2014

This hotel might be the best hotel for the price in the Strand. The location is fabulous for theater going, right in the thick of the theater district of London. Too, this hotel is a good stop for tour pick-ups from Evan Evans and Golden tours if interested in those.

Prices are reasonable, given London hotel prices in general. Staff service was always pleasant and professional. Room size (with queen bed) seemed small at first, but then was perfectly fine. You'll probably not be in your room except at night, so room size was certainly adequate for two. We had a room on the 8th floor, opening into what is called a "courtyard." This is actually just an interior shaft, in kind of bad shape. Still, it didn't bother us. Our room was very quiet and I'd recommend this over a room on the street with its accompanying noise. I actually appreciated the quietness of the room after each day's hectic schedule. Just pull the sheers closed over the windows and you'll have enough light, but without the view. Design of the room is clean and spartan. The bed, firm, was actually very comfortable. Sheets were comfortable percale cotton.

The bathroom was roomy and had enough shelf space for toiletries, etc., one of my major concerns. Too, there was a heated towel rack, great for heating towels, or quite useful as a drying rack for hand washables. Hot water was quick. My only complaints would be that hot and cold handles at the sink were kind of loosey-goosey, and the sink drain was somewhat slow. Also, the toilet usually needed a few flushes to really work, but it was ok. Bring your own hair conditioner if you need that. Also, they do not have washcloths.

Breakfast was really good. If you get there early, you won't have to wait for a table. Even if you are in line, it moves very quickly. The buffet is quite large and offers almost everything you'd want. You won't go hungry. Staff is quite efficient, hard-working, pleasant, and professional. They are moving fast to please everyone.

This hotel is not the Ritz, but it's not supposed to be. It's perfectly fine. Too, the hotel wi-fi is very useful and works well. Whether for business or pleasure, it's a good hotel.

Room Tip: Choose an interior room for quietness.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Paris, France
Reviewed 20 April 2014

I will definitely stay here again. The location and the price were ideal. Easy to get to and from by bus. Walking distance to Covent Gardens, Trafalgar Square and Picadilly Circus. Lots of restaurants and shops close by. I was able to book theatre and tour tickets at the hotel. The staff were very helpful. I really lucked out when I chose this hotel. As a result, I had a great stay in London.

1 Thank CrazyCanuck_11