“Great location”

Strand Palace Hotel
Ranked #459 of 1,077 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 2 May 2014

This hotel has a great location in central London. Rooms were a little small but comfortable. A good bar and very helpful concierge. Hotel was very busy due to it being the London marathon weekend, but coped well. Would definitely stay here again!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (10,068)

Reviewed 1 May 2014

The Strand Palace Hotel is a good hotel in the centre of London near to theatres and attractions of the city. (It's also opposite The Savoy).

The service was friendly in the busy hotel and the staff on the front desk were efficient and helpful. I had a single room which was clean, comfortable and well equipped. The wifi was good and I managed to do quite a bit of work before going to the business event I was in town for.

I would stay here again.

Room Tip: The single room was facing the central courtyard, so it was quiet enough for me to have a window ope...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank whawkins
Reviewed 1 May 2014

I recently stayed at the Strand Palace Hotel and to which I have been a few times before on my previous visits to London. Whilst this time was again an overalls success I feel that the restaurant has this time let the hotel down. The food was of poor quality, rather cold when it arrived and served by waiters who looked like the'yd all really rather be somewhere else, in fact, working anywhere else other than at this hotel. This is a shame because the overall quality of the hotel is good, the location unbeatable, the remainder of the staff excellent and the bedrooms more than adequate (and that's for a rather large Australian!) But they need to resolve the restaurant issues before I'll be eating there again, for sure!

Room Tip: Get one at the back of the hotel. They may be a bit smaller but are so much quieter!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank JB6146
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Over the last 10-years, I've stayed at the Strand Palace three or four times. The location is perfect. I stayed in a single room in the back of the hotel. I didn't mind the back of the hotel because it was super quiet. I will say this my bathroom fixtures needed to be upgraded. All the fixtures worked find but they were outdated. Other than that the hotel was perfect. I will stay here again.

3  Thank Suzl4
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Once again, I booked the Strand Palace Hotel for a two week stay. This was my second holiday in London in a year's time and my second visit to this hotel. Online booking was a simple matter. The Strand Palace was, once again, offering a free travel card (good for both buses and Tube) for the duration of my stay. In addition, for a limited time, they also offered their Wine & Dine package at no additional cost if I booked an Executive Room with breakfast. That meant additional meals, afternoon tea, and beverages, including beer and wine, were included. Check in was seamless. At first, I was offered an upgrade at cost. However, I declined. I also mentioned the Wine & Dine package, which didn't seem to appear on the reservation. Fortunately, I had printed a copy of the reservation, including the information regarding that package. Upon presentation at reception, all was put in order. I was given a voucher which I then presented to the concierge who provided me with two travel cards; one for each week of my stay.

The Executive Single room was spacious and well appointed. Although I haven't slept in a single bed in many years, it was a good size and most comfortable. The room faced an inner courtyard, as per my request, which assured quiet days and nights. Although it was February, I kept the windows slightly open and closed the wooden shutters (no cloth curtains) at night. That allowed for just the right temperature and air circulation. I only turned the radiator on twice during my stay! There was a built in wardrobe complete with a safe. A terrycloth dressing gown, slippers, and an umbrella were provided. There were plenty of shelves and hangers in the wardrobe. A flat screen television was attached to one wall and was easily viewed from the easy chair, the desk, or the bed. The bathroom contained the toilet, pedestal sink, and shower in a compact but user-friendly space. Towels were ample in size. Facecloths were also provided. This is not always the case in London hotels. Toiletries were replenished on a daily basis. In addition, an electric kettle, cups, tea bags, biscuits, and Cadbury cocoa mix were provided.

The food at this hotel varies with the venue and choice of menu. Because I was staying in one of the Executive Rooms, I was invited to have breakfast in the Covent Garden Suite each day. Located past the lounge, it provide a very different environment from the two other hotel dining rooms. It was smaller and more intimate with wait staff who seated me immediately upon arrival and took orders for main courses. A buffet featuring fruit, cold meats and cheeses, yogurt, breads and pastries, and salmon was available daily. Every breakfast made for a hearty beginning to each day. It was a different experience from the previous year when I had to join a queue most mornings in order to enter the restaurant and be seated.

I enjoyed a full afternoon tea in the lounge. In addition to hot tea, plates of sandwiches, scones, and pastries were included. On the three occasions I enjoyed this delicious experience, I did not partake in dinner!

On several other afternoons, I ordered sandwiches in the lounge. They were tasty as they were hearty.

The Carvery Restaurant is the place where the food tends to vary based on the diner's choice. When I chose to select my meal from the Carvery, I found the food to be bland, overcooked or simply kept too long under the heat lamps. Fortunately, I discovered the ala carte menue which featured poultry, fish, pasta, and beef dishes; all of which were delicious. The starters and puddings were beautifully presented and had much more flavor than those items offered on the carvery buffet.

On two occasions, I had a glass of wine in the Mask Bar. Those evenings, I was the only customer in the bar! This is a very nicely appointed venue. Small plates are also offered in the Mask Bar.

I highly recommend the Stand Palace Hotel and will book a room there in future.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing in inner courtyard where there will be no noise!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Me and 8 members of my family went to Strand Palace restaurant for Sunday lunch to celebrate my cousins birthday. We were given a table away from other diners, which is good cos we generated abit of noise! Although it was fairly empty. The staff were friendly and attentive. The 3 course buffet for £20 was excellent value. The cold starters were very good. The roast was a choice of 3 meats and plenty of vegetables to choose from and it was nice but not as good as my husbands roasts! Would go back. Also very central location.

1  Thank Sandra A
Reviewed 30 April 2014

This hotel has a wonderful location. There's a bus stop right in front of the hotel going to any touristy place you could want to go. Covent Garden is behind the hotel with many, many eateries. On the corner there's a Tesco convenience store to buy snacks, drinks, etc. The worst part were the beds. I like a firm bed, but these were beyond firm and were rock hard. The bathroom was weird, too. The drain didn't work well, so you had to take a super fast shower before the water could run over the top. There was no hook on the door to hang your toiletry bags. There were no shelves or storage space to keep things around the sink. There was a plug by the sink, but the sign said you could only plug shavers into the socket. The bathtub was about 2 inches taller than I'm used to at home, making it tough to get into the shower. Last but not least, as another reviewer had said, they don't automatically supply washcloths, but they will bring you some if you request them. Every member of staff was nice and helpful, particularly when we left and needed help with our luggage and getting a cab. Breakfast was well run for the most part. We never waited more than 5-10 minutes to be seated.

2  Thank nancy1965