My wife and I stayed 4 nights in Strand Palace Hotel, in standard room number 738. We choosed this Hotel for its good location and relatively cheap price for the rooms. Actually, we came to London to visit the city and not to stay inside the Hotel, except to sleep and to have breakfast. So, we asked for a quiet room on high floor and we got it.
Our room did not have air conditioning, but it was ok to open our window, as the view was on the interior court of the hotel (meaning nothing to watch, but quiet !). The room itself was like new (renovated), small, 2 beds and bathroom with shower, toilet. Well, just to sleep, it was acceptable. TV was on the wall, so you could only watch it when sitted on the bed, you will see on the photos I will soon add.
What we liked is definitively the central location of the Hotel, very close to Trafalgar Square, Big Ben, Leicester Square, Westminster Bridge, 10 Downing Street, etc. So, we could enjoy all attractions almost only going by foot (we were really tired at the end of our long days...). What we did not like is the breakfast and its food. You are sitted by a staff of the restaurant, as it is almost full at any time you are coming to eat... Hotel was really well crowded and just be aware that there are a lot of (small) rooms and can accomodate a lot of clients !!! As far as everybody is going to eat between 08:30 and 10:00, expect a lot of people and noise all around. It was somehow like to eat in a cantine or a factory restaurant, noisy, crowded, not great food, very fat and always people moving around you. Tables are too close to each others and people can easily listen to your conversation if you are trying to speak with your partner...
Well, to resume our stay inside this Hotel, I will say that :
Positive points :
1) Portier (when on duty) is really helpful and always opening the main door or offering his help with luggages.
2) Location of the Hotel is excellent, close to metro station Charing Cross and Covent Garden, a lot of buses around and close to main local attractions by foot (10-20 minutes).
3) 2 free bottles of water daily in the room.
Point to be improved :
1) Breakfast is typically english : untasty food, quite fat, tables too close to each others and so noisy that this place is not inviting you to stay too long in...
2) Too much people in this Hotel, you may queue to pick up your luggages from luggages room, to check-in, to the lift stopping at all floors, to concierge informations desk...
3) Our room was not ready before 2pm, so as we arrived at 10:00am, we had to wait 4 hours...
Well that's it ! We may come back to this Hotel again, but now we are aware of what to expect and even if it did not reach our expectations, we did not pay such high price to sleep there (Total : 790£ for 4 nights)...
I will soon add some photos to show you what I'm talking about, so enjoy and maybe see you there one day.
P.S. London is a very interesting, animated, crowded and active city. There are always, everywhere and anytime people all around ! So, if you are looking for some privacy and quite, avoid London and go to Maldives instead ;-).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The historic four star Strand Palace Hotel stands with true grandeur in the heart of London's West End, on the doorstep of Covent Garden, Soho and Leicester Square. Since opening its doors in 1909, the hotel has remained a landmark in the area. With 785 guest rooms ranging from Cosy singles to larger Executive rooms, complimentary WiFi throughout, a well equipped gym, two restaurants, a destination Gin bar, a sports bar and a vast meeting space the hotel is ideal for business and leisure travellers alike. Covent Garden, Charing Cross and Embankment underground stations are also within easy reach as well as main line over ground train stations. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Lastminute, Prestigia, Agoda, Hotels.com, Priceline and Odigeo so you can book your Strand Palace Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Strand Palace Hotel London
- Hotel Strand Palace
- Strand Palace London
- Strand Hotel London