“Standard room too small”

Strand Palace Hotel
Ranked #447 of 1,076 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed 2 nights in a standard room. As soon as we checked in I went back to reception to enquire about upgrading. There were no other rooms available. The room appeared to have been recently upgraded. I thought it might have been a larger room divided into 2. The room was hot and stuffy. We could not get a wifi signal which made checking my business emails difficult. I had to sit in the hotel lobby to access them. I complained on checking out and in a letter when I returned home. To the credit of the hotel manager he responded quickly and offered us a suitable compromise. Friendly staff and great location.

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank davidbB4446VU

Reviewed 14 June 2014

Great location, does what is supposed to do. I personally did not need AC. Service was fair, nothing extraordinary. Breakfast was simple, covering the basics. Room was small, yet enough. TV was decent.Large and comfortable bed..and great pillows!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 June 2014

When I arrived to the hotel I was disappointed to find that the actual hotel lobby and rooms did not match the updated and trendy images that were advertised on their website www.strandpalacehotel.co.uk. The decor is a bit boring and has a busy corporate atmosphere.

My room was the size of a closet, super tiny but at least it was clean. I stayed for 1-week and housekeeing came by most every day to take out garbage and tidy up. The bed was NOT uncomfortable! I did not sleep well. Not a great view from my room on the 7th floor. My window faced other windows in the building looking down into a dirty yard but it was a bit quiter since it didn't face the busy street. Concierge service was nice and helpful in recommending places to dine.

The BEST thing about the hotel was the great location; lots within walking distance. Close to major sites in London, museums, shopping, restuarants. Bus stops within a few feet from the hotel and the tube is within a 10 minute walk away.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 June 2014

For a price of £200 per night I expect air conditioning, especially on a hot summer night. To be told the web site says they do not have A/C is not enough. If they had no running water and it said on the web site I would still be disappointed. I stayed inb a budget hotel near here a few weeks ago for half the price and it had A/C. This is not acceptable. Even the fan supplied in the room in place of A/C (its obviously needed) was less than 3rd world standard as it sounded like a wind turbine. Come on, this is unacceptable.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Michael F
Management response:Responded 19 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for letting us know about your recent stay with us and we would like to apologise for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay.
We do have a wide range of rooms available to book - all at different prices and sizes as well as a selection of rooms with air con.

We do appreciate your comments regarding your recent visit which will be shared with our team.

Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed here one night on business. All staff very friendly especially Xavia on reception.
I was upgraded on arrival to an executive room with air conditioning and was made aware most rooms did not have ac which wouldn't have been ideal.
Limited ironing boards but when I rang at a peak time for one it took just 4 minutes to arrive- excellent.
Shower over bath, room clean with Sky TV and large bed. Very comfortable nights sleep.

I had coffee at breakfast and didn't eat although it all looked great with a separate area for those on the executive floors- plated service.
Will recommend and return.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Main strenght: The Strand is in a great location. Good breakfast buffet. Good bed and pillow. Clean. Good shower. I travelled on business and the price is quite good for the location.
However, I got the smallest room I've ever stayed in. That includes small cheap hostels. I couldn't even open my bag in the room. Very very tight. For business I would stay again at the Strand, but not for personal trips.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Michelle L, PA to the General Manager at Strand Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for letting us know about your recent stay with us.
We do have different room types & rates which can be booked to accommodate all of our guests and we do appreciate you booking with us.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

Booked The Strand Palace mainly for it's location,for walking close,to The Adelphi Theatre (two minutes) and Covent Garden(5 minutes) other sights were also reasonable distancesaway.
Booking-in was quick and easy,our Standard-King had been upgraded to a Executive Room.This gave us free movies/internet and free calls to landlines/mobiles plus breakfast in The Covent Garden Suite,where we were waited on,unlike The Strand Carvery,which was self-service.Breakfast was plentiful and the staff were very attentive.
The bedroom had a massive,comfortable bed,sofa,safe and decent shower.As with previous reviews the walls are a bit thin and our room was next to a housekeeping room with it's associated noise/voices,didn't effect our sleep,though light sleepers may have a problem.
Check-out was easy and there is a taxi rank just outside the hotel.
This is a large hotel,which seemed to have a good business/tourist mix.Rooms are spread over nine floors,there are only smallish three lifts but most of the time they managed.
Location is it's major plus point but it also delivers a good level of service.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple