“Great Location”

Strand Palace Hotel
Ranked #455 of 1,077 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Stayed here 4th-7th of July for our 40th Wedding anniversary. Traveled by coach to
Hammersmith, caught the number 9 bus from there, stops just a short walk from the hotel (very convenient).
Check in was very welcoming and friendly. We had a room on the 9th floor which was a good size, large comfy bed, nice pillows. Good quality towels in the bathroom with fair trade toiletries all replaced daily as was the tea/coffee and biscuits. The breakfast was okay.
The hotel is a good base, close to theatres, Covent Garden and the Embankment.
A complementary bottle of prosecco and a card was placed in our room congratulating us on our anniversary from the hotel management which was very much appreciated. We had a great time and would chose this hotel again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ADR88

Reviewed 8 July 2014

Rooms clean and tidy, bathroom on the small side but overall adequate. Excellent location, staff on reception a little abrupt but concierge very friendly and helpful.

Breakfast was busy between 730-830 but this was dealt with very well to get everyone through and on with their days.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Michelle L, PA to the General Manager at Strand Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your recent stay with us.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

I stayed at the Strand Palace for the 3rd time in June. It has become the usual place for me to stay when I visit London. This time I had my family with me and we had 3 rooms booked. The check in was good, efficient and friendly. The rooms were modern and clean, however very small by Australian standards. The first evening we had dinner at the indian restaurant in the hotel, which was fantastic and great value for money. Also, the free breakfast in the hotel is very good. The hotel does well to cater for so many guests.
My negative points that I have noticed are that the rooms aren't very soundproof. The walls are quite thin so you get a lot of noise from your neighbours, the hallway and the busy strand. Also, in a standard room there is no air conditioning. In a hotel that is very expensive (although I suppose you expect high pricing for the location) you expect to be able to control the temperature of your room. Even a small portable air conditioner as apposed to the desk fan that they provide would suffice.
The location of the hotel is one of its best features. Just a 2 minute walk to Covent Garden, and from there you have easy access to the rest of London on the underground.
I will look at staying here again provided the price doesn't increase dramatically again

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 July 2014

This is our usual stopping spot while in London, simply because it is near to the things we most enjoy in the city; it is also an efficient, well-oiled machine that prides itself on making check-in / check-out as easy on the customer as possible.

This time we traveled with company so reserved two rooms—a cozy double and a standard single. These are tiny rooms by any measurement but what was most surprising was that they were the same sized rooms, the only difference being a double bed crammed against the wall rather than a single. That extra bit of bedding cost considerably more, by the way.

I stayed in the standard single and the only real concern was that the bathroom door opened into the toilet in a space savings effort. There are now drawers but some shelves and an open hanging area; I pretty much lived out of my suitcase. Also, the walls are not thick so the I ended up wearing headphones because the guest next to me whistled (!) off and on through most of the night and the next night there was a party going on in the hallway.

The rooms are clean and industrial in nature, service is quick and the staff always friendly and courteous. The Strand features free WiFi for up to six different devices, which is a wonderful treat. London is NOT a cheap city to stay in, especially if you plan to stay close to the center of action, and the Strand is not an inexpensive hotel, especially based on US standards. Still we were within two blocks of Mamma Mia the musical, two blocks of Covent Garden and the Royal Opera, two blocks from the Thames, a couple of blocks from Trafalgar and Leicester Square, surrounded by eating spots and within easy walking distance to the underground which opens up all of London. In short, the Strand Palace works for us and our needs.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank DSC-NOVA
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We stayed for 2 night, the rooms were lovely and clean, staff very attentive, breakfast lovely, no clutter in the hallways very impressed for a hotel which has over 800 rooms, would definitely stay again

Room Tip: Just ask for a quiet room, remember you are in the middle of London so there are still lots of peopl...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Sam19291

Dear Guest,

We do appreciate your comments regarding your recent visit. All comments are shared with our team on a regular basis.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

Other than a great location for walking to many attractions here are some things worth noting: affordable (£5) full breakfast available to the immediate right of the hotel entrance at a small café and at Garfunkel’s at corner (£5.95). There is also a Starbucks next to Garfunkel’s for lighter fare. Tesco Express grocery and a Boots Pharmacy across the street. Of course surrounding hotel are numerous types of restaurants at all price levels. There is also an ATM in the hotel lobby and outside to the right of the hotel building, very convenient. Things that were an inconvenience at least to us: although it was an “executive” room, no minibar or frig in the room to keep drinks cold or free bottled water. Bed was hard not firm. Other room we booked for our son and nephew was not much better. So woke up with sore backs each morning, but could handle because only stayed for two nights.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 July 2014

My room was ready at 10.00 when I arrived to drop off my bag, which I was very pleased with as it meant I could meet up with a friend without having to rush back for check in at 2pm.

The room faced a side room rather than The Strand, but was still fairly noisy at night. The wooden shutters blocked out most of the noise, but I left them slightly open to let in some air as it was hot outside. I could have used the supplied fan, but can't sleep with a fan on.

The room size was totally adequate for my needs.

The great location meant I could walk to both theatres I visited, as well as the South Bank for dinner, and to Waterloo for my train home.

The staff were helpful and the breakfast was good too.

I'm sure I'll be visiting this hotel again.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends