“Once again, a great stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

Strand Palace Hotel
Ranked #388 of 1,089 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Cape Town, South Africa
“Once again, a great stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

My wife and I had the good fortune to be able to stay over for 2 nights at the Strand Palace once again on our visit to London and we were spoilt. The staff are excellent, friendly and helpful. From the breakfast bunch to the concierge they all rock.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Michelle L, PA to the General Manager at Strand Palace Hotel, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,474)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Ontario
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

I booked an executive single room for ten days in July. Like many North American tourists, I was to arrive about 10:00-11:00 am I called the hotel the night before my departure to advise it of my arrival time; if I wanted early check in, I would have to pay a fee of 30 pounds. Assuming that most business men checked out early rather than late, and considering my booking was for 10 days, I decided to take my chances. Oh, how I wish I had payed their bribe!
Arriving at 10:30 am, I was told to wait. And wait I did - for 3 1/2 hours! Surely some room would be available soon after noon, since that was check-out time. Silly me. The manageress actually laughed at me for complaining! The housekeeping team regularly woke me about 8:30, despite "Do Not Disturb" notices - could not one of these have been diverted to attend to me?
In fact, the room was still not available at 2:00. Finally, the smirking manageress had to vacuum the room herself, while other staff cleaned it
Once a requested wake-up call was 45 minutes late; once I got a wake-up call I had not requested. There was a heat wave in London - the room was neither air-conditioned nor did it have a minibar to keep water cold. On Sunday there was no electricity from 10-4; this was a scheduled inspection, but there was no recognition that this might be a problem for some. Three elevators are not enough for the size of the hotel, especially when one of them was usually out of service. And yet another time, there was an unannounced trial of the fire alarm. Now that was fun! The ice machines predictably broke down, so ice was available only at the bar, many floors down. Could not ice-cold water be made available in the lobby?
Yes, the staff were (mostly) pleasant, the room was ok, the food fair. But for me. the indifference of the reception staff is unacceptable. Is this how older single women are treated at the Stranded Palace Hotel?

Room Tip: For the love of God, pay whatever they want for air conditioning and early check-in. Otherwise, you...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank transatlantic23
Munich, Germany
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

130 euros per person per night for such a small room facing the inner courtyard makes your nights in London an unpleasant experience.

Besides that, the service desk was not the best and the hotel looks a bit old in general.

I still give it 3 stars because:
- The room was well finished and clean
- The hotel breakfast was decent
- The location is unbeatable
- It has a gym, which is small but enough for doing some work out.

Not recommended, unless you do not pay for it.

Room Tip: Do not choose the inner courtyard facing rooms, there is no view, no air, no light in the room.
Green Features: Typical towel reuse policy, nothing more nothing less.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank VictorRp1982
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review.
All feedback assists us with our efforts to improve the consistency of Customer Service and ensures that standard procedures are being followed and met.
Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

Ideal for all the sights. Close to Covent Garden. Enjoyed the carvery, delicious beef! Over-ate so couldn't manage pudding before our theatre visit (Mamma Mia - again!). Staff were happy to serve us our dessert after the show. Good breakfast. Helpful and happy staff. Will stay there again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

We do appreciate you taking the time to review your stay with us.
Hope you enjoyed the show!
Lincoln, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

Just returned from 2nt stay in london, I do this trip at least twice a year. After several stays at the impeccable Bailey,s Millenium, thought we would have a change as there are works going on at tube station near Baileys. Chose strand palace for location, great location, no problem there. On booking, we were told we would be given a voucher for 15 palace pounds which we could spend in the restaurants and bars. We had no breakfast included in our booking and so thought we would use this towards breakfast, when checking in, we were told "you cant use them for breakfast" quite why, we dont know. So we decided to spend them on drinks in the mask bar. I didnt have the voucher with me at the time of ordering drinks and so asked for it to be put on our room, meanwhile i went to get the voucher and presented it to the girl behind the bar, she said that the transaction had gone through to the room, but not to worry, we could use the voucher to pay our room bill. On checking out, we presented the voucher and surprise surorise, you cant use them to pay off bar bills. A manager was then called, we tried to explain, but she was not even listening to us, she went on to ask, who the bar girl was etc etc, we were made to feel most uncomfortable and also to feel we were lying. It was 2 glasses of wine and a cup of coffee we were arguing over, not a row of houses. She was adament that her staff were trained and they would not have told us this, I can assure you, that what we said was true. We proceeded to pay the bar bill in full and left. I will never return to this hotel and would deter anyone else from doing so. The customer service from that manager was appalling. On a better note, the hotel,s concierge was so very very helpful,

Room Tip: small dark rooms, no air con.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank gail6861
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

I have stayed here many times before. It's a great location for exploring London. The rooms are always spotless and although basic quite comfortable. For service location and value you can't beat it !

• Stayed July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your visit with us.
Rome, Italy
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

Perfect position, beautifull external building, a lot of services, but a 4 stars hotel that is so expensive like Strand is impossible tha has a very little and unconfortable rooms and incredible....WITHOUT AIR CONDITIONING!!!!...that in summer, also if you are in London, can transform your night in a nightmare!!!!
save your money!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank imperatoris
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.
We do have a wide range of rooms available, all at different prices and sizes including some rooms with aircon - these rooms do tend to be booked quite quickly.