“Reasonably priced and comfy...”

St Giles London - A St Giles Hotel
Ranked #618 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 27 February 2014

For Central London this was a reasonably priced hotel. Room is small but comfortable. Ideal for a London break, theatre, etc.. Excellent location close to the entertainment centre of the West End. Found the breakfast room a little bizarre (my only negative!) in that it was very much like a college/university refectory with bench tables and hard chairs, clear your own table, etc.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (6,414)

Reviewed 26 February 2014

Needed a hotel in central London at short notice without paying over the odds, this hotel ticked all the boxes.

Easy to reach by public transport from Heathrow, providing you don't have too much luggage, a few steps from Tottenham Court Road Underground Station and Oxford Street.

The building itself is unassuming, think it was a YMCA years ago, but inside is certainly fit for purpose.

The reception was fairly busy but the check-in was quick efficient and friendly, the Korean guy who checked me in was a credit to the hotel.

The rooms are not enormous but are clean, comfortable and functional, I certainly thought they provided excellent value for money, especially given the location.

The breakfast, as other reviewers have said, is served canteen style, but that wasn't an issue. I came down for breakfast at 08.30 on a Saturday morning and whilst the "canteen" was pretty busy, I had no problem finding a seat and the buffet queue wasn't bad at all. I thought there was a good selection of breakfast item which were regularly replenished and the staff of duty were as friendly and helpful as other team members.

If you want a Luxury hotel in Central London then you probably wouldn't pick here, if however you want a reasonably priced, clean and comfortable functional hotel, then you do a lot worse.

I would certainly stay here again.

Reviewed 25 February 2014

My wife booked a theatre,hotel,rail deal and this was the hotel we got.When I checked it out on trip advisor I was stunned by some of the bad reviews and wondered what we were coming to.I would just like to say there must be some very fussy people out there who want to moan about anything.We found the hotel to be in the perfect place to walk down to the west end,it was very clean,the room had all we could need,nice bed,safe,tv,tea and coffee and decent shower.Maybe I was lucky but heard no noise and didn't get pestered to leave room.Our train home was late afternoon but for £1 you can leave your bag in room at foyer.Our safe wasn't working when we arrived but the manager himself came up and tried to fix it then got maintenance guys up and was sorted.The breakfast is excellent with plenty for everyone but you really have to go down before 8 at weekends as it gets really busy.There is a n extremely good fitness centre and swimming pool I believe you pay for but I hadn't time to use it.There is Internet on ground floor you can use for £1 for 20 minutes.The only problem we had was the lifts are not good,they are very slow and if you are on a higher floor you can wait ages,the other thing was the barmen in the bar were pretty poor,they just ignored my wife and I when we came in about 11.30pm and we decided to just leave rather than wait any longer which was a shame because the rest of the staff including the concierge guys were brilliant.The next time I'm in London will definitely use this hotel again.

Room Tip: We were in room 610,some might say its small but was perfect for us.
1  Thank manonspot
Reviewed 25 February 2014

First impression of entering the small room is that the bathroom is decorated in black. There was one small light above a cupboard. TIP: If you want to shave buy a torch that fits on your head, otherwise you'll cut yourself, I did.

There were no mattress or pillow protectors so better hope previous occupant hasn't left any fluids behind. The shower was cold but discovered that the disk with the temperatures on needed fixing. I did fix it. Toilet flush was hanging off but didn't fix that as I was only staying a night and didn't think I would need a toolkit packed in my suitcase.

A hotel that will charge £5 an hour for Wifi, outrageous, seriously a rip off.

2  Thank Ernie H
Reviewed 25 February 2014 via mobile

Enjoyed our second stay at St Giles. Location is excellent as it a minute away from Oxford street with easy access to all the sightseeing spots. Room is a bit small but found it quite cosy. Breakfast is good with lots of choice. Overall good value for money!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lucie S
Reviewed 25 February 2014

We booked 3 nights at the hotel and since the both of us hadn't been to London since we were kids, the location was brilliant and easily accessible via the tube. Great value, friendly staff and lovely room, yes a bit on the small side but we expected that from a central hotel. Saw a few comments prior to visiting about noise but we only had a problem on the Saturday night/Sunday morning, which still wasn't anything major... even slept with the window open at night time.
We will definitely be visiting again! Highly recommend.

Room Tip: Our room was on the north facing side of the hotel, so off the main street meaning it was quieter.
3  Thank Abigail C
Reviewed 25 February 2014

The hotel is very well located, within walking distance of major attractions, including the British Museum, and just a few steps from Tottenham Court Road tube station. My room was tiny, a bit larger than a closet, but after a first disappointment it felt quite cozy. It faced Bedford Avenue, but unfortunately was very close to Tottenham Court Road and the window glass was not thick enough to spare me from the road noise: traffic, buses, a truck noisily unloading stuff to a nearby supermarket. Also, the window had just a venetian blind and no curtain, and light came in at night from the road, and in the morning at dawn.

Room Tip: Not close to Tottenham Court Road