“Location and only”

Ranked #624 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Athens, Greece
“Location and only”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Stayed there 1 night while on a business trip. The hotel is indeed very well located. It is on the red/central line, 1 block from Oxford Str. and very close to Soho.
The room (single) was the smallest I've ever seen, while the bed was uncomfortable. The bathroom had a bad smell, I kept all night the door closed in an effort to limit the smell to the bathroom. It was also quite noisy, I woke up a several times from noise coming mainly from the street (even though staying at the 6th floor) and sometimes from the other rooms. I wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,079)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Mykonos, Greece
Reviewed 18 August 2014

This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in!

1. Room we stayed in was tiny without AC, I asked to change and was told it was an extra $80pounds per night to change our room. The manager at the front desk told me I had a fan and to use that. Considering the room is like a sauna, it was basically useless. the only option was to leave the window open to try to get some fresh air circulating. that came at the expense of the noise that carries up the building from outside. We stayed on the 9th floor and had the pleasure of being woken by the people leaving the casino....Bring on the restless nights...just what you are after when you have traveled for over 30hrs.
2. Agree with other comments about the lifts, so slow..we ended up taking the stairs on a few occasions.
3. Rude staff, the girls greeting you at the breakfast room look like they where bored to death and couldn't be bothered. The concierge I dealt with was rude and didn't even look at me when I was asking for help, he just dialled a number and handed me the phone.
4. Our room was serviced and we where only given one towel, there were two of us staying in the room. I asked at reception for another towel to be put in the room while I used the gym. I was gone for a good hour and came back to find no towel. Even getting a towel was a hassle frm this mob. And on the subject of the towels, they are the thinnest well worn towels.
5. On our last night, after a long day of sightseeing, we arrived back to the hotel to find the carpet in the door way soaking wet, the room smelt mouldy and damp. We went out again to dinner and I was going to ask someone to come to the room to look at it on our return. So imagine my surprise to find we had been locked out of our room as the hotel 'system' showed we should have checked out. After a very lengthy decision with the girl at the front desk who then got her manager, we were escorted back to our room so I could get my travel documents to prove we had in fact paid for 6 nights and that their system was incorrect.
The way this was handled was disappointing, the discussion went around in circles because I was not applied up to the room to get my documents, they keep insisting their system was correct.
The time taken to resolve this was a joke.
Once the manager saw my documents and the wet carpet he was a little more accommodating and very apologetic. He did offer to upgrade us to another room, but by this time it was 11.30pm and I was not packing up and moving when I was due to check out the next morning. The manager did give us a voucher to use for breakfast at the VQ lounge, however, given the treatment and the time it took to fix the room lockout, the attitude of the staff, the overall negative experience, it was a bit of a token justice.

Room Tip: Best tip I can give...stay somewhere else
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 1414hollyruby

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Sweden
Reviewed 18 August 2014

The location is good, close to Tottenham Court Road, Oxford street, Covent Garden and Soho. That´s about it.

This time I had a double room and didn´t have to repeat the terrible experience I had several years ago with a single room about the size of a prison cell! This double room reminded me of a hotel room from 1950-60, possibly -70. The room was hot but I couldn´t open the window more than a couple of inches. No aircondition but a big table fan hidden in a cupboard, wall-to-wall carpet which of course had its stains. Old bed, too short for me (188 cm). No fridge/minibar. No wifi in room unless you were prepared to pay GBP 10 a day, come on, this is 2014! Strange gap between the floor and the door = you hear everything from the hall outside the room. I was lucky enough to have a room on the second floor and didn´t have to rely on the elevators - too little capacity for this hotel. Breakfast not too exciting but not bad either, just lack of fantasy. The problem is the capacity of the breakfast room - very often a long line to get your food. I know this is London - an expensive city, but I can´t help comparing this hotel with the one I visited in Berlin, paying about 60% of the price of St Giles you had a four star hotel with a terrific breakfast and a quiet, comfortable room...

Room Tip: Ask for a room not facing Tottenham Court Road, rather Bedford Avenue because of the traffic.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Braintree, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Only stayed for one night as we were having a late Friday night in town - the position of the Hotel is ideal as it is walking distance to Soho, Covent Garden, Leicester Square, Piccadilly, Oxford Street, Regent Street ....need I go on!

The booking in was straightforward and the double room we had was not too bad with a separate bedroom and living room area, although the total area was quite small - however you don't go to a Central London hotel to stay in your room - we'll we don't anyway.

The bed was a fair size and comfortable with a television on the wall opposite the bed. The living area also had a tele and also a kettle with a good selection of coffee, tea, milk etc. We ran out, as we had a bit of thirst on after walking around Borough Market on the day of arrival and then walking back along the South Bank and then up through China Town back to the hotel and the front desk supplied another selection without quibble. By the way I can certainly recommend Borough Market - the selection of different food is exceptional.

So the location is definitely the major + point and the rooms are quite acceptable - additionally there is ample parking below the hotel - but you wouldn't want to spend too much time in your room or you will definitely go stir crazy!!

Room Tip: From what we saw the twin double rooms are roomier than a standard double bed room.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Bingley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2014

what a carry on checking in just cannot believe the trouble not only we had but several other travellers we arrived 12.00 to be told to come back at 2.00 which was fine but they must have told everyone to do the same the foyer was crowded at 2.00 only to be told not ready come back in another hour came back at 2.30 still not ready when we finally got a room the room cleaning staff just stood about on our floor chatting at least four of them then as we were getting ready to go out some people came in our room with a key saying it was there room how bad is that. when we complained to the desk they couldn't care less no one seemed to know what they were doing. as for the breakfast it was just like a hostel/school dinners we all had to line up with trays then off to canteen style tables all on top of each other to eat but have to say the food was good but not much choice the location is ok but with the tubes I would definitely say find another hotel I would not stay there again.

Room Tip: go to another hotel
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank DR1234817
west yorkshire
Reviewed 18 August 2014

We then arrived at St Giles and although we knew we were early we asked the question were our rooms ready, the reply no but be back at 2.00pm and they should be, I asked the question please could our 5 rooms be on the same floor and they said that would be no problem.
So we all went for a wander round the area until 2.00pm. Five of our party went back to the hotel for the keys for their rooms only to be told they were not ready, unfortunately they had all booked afternoon tea at 3.30 so they needed to get into a room to be showered and changed so eventually they were give 3 rooms and off they went to get ready. About half an hour later the remainder of our party went back to book into their rooms but again had to wait for keys, we were given keys for room 255 and 728. The couple that got the 255 key went to their room and couldn’t get in so they went back down to reception and some one accompanied them back to the room to open the door. When the door opened there was someone in their getting ready to go out – very embarrassing, they were then given a key for 655. So we ended up with 1 room on floor 1, 2 rooms on floor 2, 1 room on floor 6 and 1 room on floor 7.
Eventually we all managed to get out to the theatre etc, but then on returning the couple from our party in room 255 couldn’t get into their room and so they went back to reception to be told they had checked out. The hotel checked us out (absolutely no idea why) and had re-let to someone else who when they opened the door and all our possessions were still in the room so they had to go back to reception and be allocated another room but it was very upsetting to know that someone else had been in the room they could have taken anything. We had to show identification to be allowed back into the room
The Manager was informed who said they could not do anything but to speak to the day Manager which we did but they said they did not have a complaints policy, in otherwords we got absolutely nowhere.
Also the breakfast room and breakfast is probably just one up from being in a youth hostel – not good at all.
No one in the Hotel seems to give a hoot about all this and we would certainly never stay their again.

Room Tip: Dont go there find another hotel
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank duffyWestYorkshire
Eastbourne
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed here last night in a basic double room, which is what it says. Ideal for a night or two in an ideal location. Close to the tube and within easy walking distance of Coventry garden, and theatre land.

• Stayed August 2014